Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Whereabouts of the Pristine PA
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2016 :  00:12:32  Show Profile
Thinking about my topic Restoration vrs Conservation and correct specs and details on P Types. A completely original survivor would tell most of the story.
Can anyone tell me if this car is still around and in what condition?
This has/had to be the most original P Type left there is/was.
Article from 1989 so already going back a bit. Was a barn find I remember, after about 40 years of good dry storage.
Even the paint was original then.
Excellent shot of the correct SF28A trafficators, and escutcheons, too.
Unable to find the other page of the article, the name Jarvis comes to mind.

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2016 :  09:29:38  Show Profile
Yes the car is listed in the Register - it is PA2172, Triple-M Register number 3192 and as you mention the owner is shown as D Jarvis.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2016 :  10:14:59  Show Profile
Good to hear, thanks George
I had another quick look in the photo library, couldn't find this one, of course not all cars registered are there as I know, mine wasn't for many years either.
I'm a bit of a newie on the forum. Can you tell me if there is a summary or list of the complete register by Type available. I'd also be interested in the proportion and number of cars in original body form, and whether they are restored, or unrestored. My understanding is that of the 11,000 odd MMMs built, about half survive (which is miraculous in itself), and many of these have been registered on the UK register.
Interested initially and by way of example that there about 45 PBs in the photo library, of the 526 made. The rule of thumb would be that there are about 263 left in the world, and a good number of these on the register. Would this be reasonable or correct?
Regards
Donald
PB0759
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2016 :  10:50:17  Show Profile
This splendid and very a original P type was a at the Goodwood revival in 2014 in very much the same condition - thankfully -as described above!

There were many little details which may be of interest to anyone who is determined to do and an 'original'restoration of their own car!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Fock

Australia
374 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2016 :  10:55:48  Show Profile
Hi Dick,

that is really interesting! The wipers are consistent with the research I did for the thread on N type wipers. We have also been looking at what was the original tread strips on the N types and P types. .... The L types seems to have had a similar type albeit with a greater number of grooves.

(Photo from Jos Shreuders)
Andrew

PA 1294
NA 0279

Edited by - Andrew Fock on 17/02/2016 11:04:58
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2539 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2016 :  11:25:49  Show Profile
One or two pics I took at Goodwood;

Note the variation on the generally accepted sidescreen.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2016 :  16:59:10  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DDMDSN

Can you tell me if there is a summary or list of the complete register by Type available. I'd also be interested in the proportion and number of cars in original body form, and whether they are restored, or unrestored. My understanding is that of the 11,000 odd MMMs built, about half survive (which is miraculous in itself), and many of these have been registered on the UK register.
Interested initially and by way of example that there about 45 PBs in the photo library, of the 526 made. The rule of thumb would be that there are about 263 left in the world, and a good number of these on the register. Would this be reasonable or correct?
Regards
Donald
PB0759

Donald, to answer your earlier query, yes there is a printed version of the Register available, look at the Triple M Library page on this site. it is updated annually for Silverstone so you might want to wait for that.

There are approaching 4000 Triple M cars are on the Register, but PBs were good survivors - we have 310 registered.

Condition and body type are rather more difficult - cars often reappear after many years out of sight in different condition and body style to that which they were last seen with!

Its a bit like painting the Forth Bridge...

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2016 :  19:19:42  Show Profile
Dick and Dave, many thanks for the details and photos. This really is a wonderful car, so pleased to see it remains pristine in the true sense of the word.
Graham, have found the register book in the library, thanks, will wait for the next edition to order and there are some other items there for the document collection. Some original documents on the P Type I still don't have, or prices getting too high. Do have a preliminary export PB/NB sales brochure though, the one that doesn't have the airline. The only one I have seen.
Good number of survivors, and interesting such a large proportion of PBs. The trend of numbers on the register each year would be interesting too. I imagine the number of discoveries each year is declining, however still coming in and extra effort needed to find them.
Details on the pristine P Type are of great interest. I bet Whirlwind is trying to see if the writing on the wiper motor is upside down - up the right way as you look at it!
The P Type running board rubbers were like this, mine still has the same. Not sure on the L Type Andrew, there is a local original car I could check if wanted. Your photos looks to show originals too.
Also the rear wheel badge with no enamel left, I think I'll put mine which also has no enamel left, back on. The side screen wing nuts with the flat top, same as mine although have seen a number with a more bulbous top.
Regards
Donald
PB0759
Go to Top of Page

Jon Pedoe

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2016 :  21:32:27  Show Profile
Donald, and others above, I have a poor black and white copy of the 1989 article referred to above - there are two other pages - I attach them here, but likely will be hardly readable (let's see!) so if a better quality copy is wanted please send me your address(s) and I will post it, cheers, jon PB0373 MG4417

Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3374 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2016 :  13:03:09  Show Profile
Jon
I have turned the images round to save my poor old neck!
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Jon Pedoe

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2016 :  23:19:25  Show Profile
Thank you - it was getting late!!
jon PB0373
Go to Top of Page

lordrob

Belgium
226 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2016 :  08:24:38  Show Profile
Hi Donald and others,
Just to complete this topic I add some engine pics of the same car taken at 2011 Silverstone, look especially at the original arrangement over the front cross tube/rad support !
Roby

lordrob
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2016 :  08:45:19  Show Profile
errr, what''s rhe function of the green painted component just forward of the crankshaft pulley which wraps around the front x-member?

Edited by - kimber on 19/02/2016 08:45:59
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Green

South Africa
363 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2016 :  09:02:50  Show Profile
I would say that the rad support is not original. But I am interested to know one way or the other !

Regards.

Rod Green
Go to Top of Page

sven

Sweden
431 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2016 :  10:03:41  Show Profile
Hi
I don't think it is factory fitted, but possibly there to prevent the engine from falling down should the front support or its bolts fail.

Regards
Sven
Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2016 :  12:02:28  Show Profile
Hi All
This tread has intrigued me, PA2172 is clearly a much loved car however one or two things puzzle me.

The engine colour, apple green this would indicate a four seater according to the MG Triple-M colours – (draft). The engine mount is very strange and nothing like my P1773. The diameter of the exhaust looks large and of course the mini fish tail is not original. The article refers to the wheels as correct in silver again the colours chart says they were standardised after 1935?? I would be very interested to know how both speedo and tachometer were driven if that be the case. Again the article refers to tachometer being declared illegal as a speed indicator, correctly new cars were required to show the speed, it was not retrospective and not a requirement to fit a speedo otherwise my father in 1940 in MG 3880 would have fallen foul of the law.

I know that the article was written in 1989 some fifty odd years after PA2172 rolled off the production line but even then from my own experience of rebuilds in the 70s things would change and patination can occur in much less than 50 years, although a very interesting car I feel we have to be very careful on anything being the held up as ORIGINAL or PRISTINE.

Richard
PA1733 YA5206

Edited by - Richard Verrill on 19/02/2016 12:04:29
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000