Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PA Cooling
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jack

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2016 :  16:42:31  Show Profile
Could someone confirm that the 1935 PA was never fitted from new with a cooling fan. When I fitted a supercharger on mine I fitted an electric fan for additional cooling, but why is a pulley fitted on the crank shaft ?

Jack

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2016 :  17:19:51  Show Profile
Correct. No fan was fitted as a standard on the P-types. The pulley is a bit of a mystery to me, but I believe it could have been used to drive a belt driven blower.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3239 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2016 :  17:46:36  Show Profile
All the Triple-M cars I have owned had pulleys on the end of the crank, I did have an original belt driven Zoller supercharger on my old PB and the Marshall on the L2 is belt driven.

I never fitted an electric fan to any P type but added a water pump to the supercharged one - PB ARY614.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

whirlwind

New Zealand
94 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2016 :  20:35:21  Show Profile
Might not have been fitted from New, but the fitting of a fan has been done. Photos from an ??? American site of a 1935 MG PA 4 seater
It looks as if the head lights may have suffered from shake, with the tie bar being cut & the head to radiator plate not being fitted.

Colin

Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
873 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2016 :  21:27:25  Show Profile
For 5pounds-12shillings-6pence you could get a belt driven fan as "Additional Equipment" from Abingdon, and that is why there was a pulley fitted on the crank shaft.
The fan was a aluminum casting, very effective, and more often seen on F-types.

Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2016 :  21:32:44  Show Profile
Fan aside, a fascinating list Gerhard!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2016 :  22:50:19  Show Profile
I seem to recall that the fan was offered for cars that were to go to foreign climes. I have one, not quite the same as that illustrated, and used it for a time, but if a blower is fitted under the bonnet it gets in the way!

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2016 :  10:31:29  Show Profile
Yes, great list! Can anyone tell me what the "telecontrol shock absorbers" were? Is this referring to telescopic dampers, or remote control dampers?

Given the new price of a PB was around £200(?), it seems possible to spend around another £70 tarting it up with go-faster goodies! And this is before you start tuning it. Roughly equivalent to buying a new car now for £20,000, and then spending £7000 on accessories.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2016 :  10:55:18  Show Profile
Yep, Colin; try looking for a new BMW, Audi or Merc and get the multi-page pamphlet of all the options. You can double the cost of the car if you really try!

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6128 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2016 :  11:17:58  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Colin McLachlan

Can anyone tell me what the "telecontrol shock absorbers" were? Is this referring to telescopic dampers, or remote control

Colin,

This refers to the Andre Hydro Telecontrol shock absorbers which allowed adjustment from the driver's seat.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2016 :  14:23:19  Show Profile
Hi Simon,
almost correct! MG used cable operated Telecontrol dampers...... like the brakes no nasty fluids to leak.......
The centre of the shocker had a cam and lever system connected to a 'Bowden' type cable which went to a hand control wheel under the dash... both rear shocks on the C-types had this arrangement ... probably to allow adjustment as the 17 gallon tank right at the back of the car emptied during the 12/12 races. My MK11 18/18 Prototype also has these at the rear.
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6128 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2016 :  14:51:41  Show Profile
Thanks, Foz. The picture actually shows the Hydro type fitted to an L2 but we don't know if they were factory fitted or not.

In Motor Sport, December 1932, there's a test of the new Hydro Telecontrol and they say:
"An early form of Telecontrol utilised a modification of the Hartford friction disc shock absorber, a lever on a quickthread forcing the elements into Close contact, but some trouble was experienced with stretching cables and carelessly fitted outer casings. The Hydro-Telecontrol, as the new type is called, is free from these disadvantages."

So perhaps by the time they were offered for the PB they were indeed Hydro and not cable?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2016 :  10:00:03  Show Profile
Thanks Simon and Foz. And Ian, I guess that's why I don't look at new BMW prices .

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6128 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2016 :  16:51:15  Show Profile
I had been trying to find out a bit more about the Hydro Telecontrol shock absorbers for the owner of the L2 and Graham Brown of Vintage and Classic Shock Absorbers ( www.vintageandclassicshockabsorbers.co.uk ) offers the following information on the cable and hydro systems.

"The cable operated system seems to have been in vogue around 30/31 on competion based cars, and as well as MG C types was fitted to Works Riley Brooklands for some events around that period. It does not appear to have "caught on" possibly because of costs. The Hydro system would almost certainly have been the system offered in 1935, and was the standard system on AC, Alvis, Lagonda, Railton and others as a factory fitment and was also popular on trials cars of that period.

We can supply all the parts you need to convert your existing shock absorbers, or supply new telecontrol shock absorbers, and all the control gear.

Regards, Graham Brown, VCSA"

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 01/03/2016 16:52:03
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000