Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Distributor
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

treetops

Netherlands
284 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  15:32:25  Show Profile
Can anyone tell me the correct number of a N type distributor?
I think it is a DQH6A anti clockwise but there are some figures following this number which I don't know and also the amount of degrees.
Are the distributors of a L -K - N type identical?

Thanks in advance for your answer

Jos
NA0386

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  16:14:46  Show Profile
Jos,
My notes show a DQH6A as correct for the NA and NB. I don't have the number for the L, but I believe it was a smaller diameter body. Someone, no doubt, will correct me on the L type if I'm wrong. The other numbers are usually the Lucas specific part number (which distinguishes the specifics like the rotation, advance, etc.) and the manufacture date.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

treetops

Netherlands
284 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  16:38:17  Show Profile
Lew,
Thank you for your answer, the Lucas catalogue 400B gives the same number for L-K and N and also the same number for the J type!
I have a non standard distributor in my N type and want to start the search for an original one, but there are so many different types.

Thank you Lew

Jos
Go to Top of Page

george

United Kingdom
862 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  20:10:18  Show Profile
DQH6a is correct for the N but they rare and expensive ,the correct horizontal exit cap very expensive. They are described as anticlockwise but that is viewed from below, so clockwise from above. A good alternative is the DUH6a, similar in looks and far cheaper but still in period , DK6a is another alternative. Geoff
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  20:11:22  Show Profile
Jos,

Original distributors were marked as 10 degree advance which equates to 20 degrees when timing the engine.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

treetops

Netherlands
284 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  20:20:12  Show Profile
Peter, George and Lew, thanks for your reply.
Thanks George for pointing me to the DUH 6a and Peter for the 10 (x2)degree advance
Great forum
Jos
NA0386
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  21:33:56  Show Profile
Jos,
The numbers for the K,L, and N distributors CANNOT be the same as a J2. Obviously the K, L, and Ns are 6 cylinder whereas the J2 is a 4 cylinder. You may want to double check the catalog, as I seriously doubt the numbers are the same, unless there is an error in the catalog.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

treetops

Netherlands
284 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2016 :  17:57:32  Show Profile
Lew,

I have worked and owned a J2 , a L2 and now own a N type so (knowing the difference) I am amazed reading this in the Lucas catalogue.
I want to know the precise numbers behind DQH6a on the plate attached to the distributor
Must be an error in the catalogue.I have enclosed a copy
Jos

Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2016 :  18:29:16  Show Profile
Jos,
I am looking at my copy of the same catalog. It is clear that the entry on page 158 is wrong for the distributor type. There should have been a separate line calling out the distributor type for the J1 and J2. This probably occurred because many of the other parts for the other models (K, L, KN) are common to those for the J1 and J2 such as the starter, cutout, screenwiper, etc. Since it should be obvious to the service technicial that the distributor was different, the error may have been just an effort to save page space.
The 6 digit number is simply the Lucas part or ordering number which differentiates between, for example, different DQH6A distributors with respect to advance curves, drive gears, etc. Even though there appears to be only one DQH6A variant, a good example of different ordering numbers for the same major model may been seen for the DKH4A distributors on page 49 of the same catalog.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

treetops

Netherlands
284 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2016 :  18:41:38  Show Profile
Thanks Lew
Jos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked