Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 M Type petrol tank cap
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reinout

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2016 :  04:39:20  Show Profile
My 1931 type had a petrol tank cap that looked very much like this one, except the cone shape part was not there. The fingers that make the locking mechanism were the same and the outside appearance was the same. I lost my cap on 2008 and have not found a fitting replacement nor did I ever see one like it. Recently an M Type was offered for sale and the cap on one of the engine bay photos looked very familiar. The seller sent me these pictures. My cap didn't have the cone but it worked also.

Anyone of the forum seen one of these or can put me in the right direction?

Thanks a lot and MGreetings,
Reinout

Reinout Vogt
Emma
1931 M-Type 2M/2735

semisport

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2016 :  06:48:48  Show Profile
This type of fuel tank cap was the standard fitting on the 1928-31 scuttle tank Morris Minors - not an easy part to find but the Minor community may be able to help.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3109 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2016 :  11:14:32  Show Profile
I believe the cap below is simply a Morris Minor cap adapted to fit an M-type. Because M-type and Minor petrol tanks look similar (there are not the same) it is possible the assumption has been made at times that the petrol caps are also similar.

The caps below on early M-types have a screw fitting - the right hand example has a built in dipstick.

The caps below featured around 1930 but I do not know the start and finish dates. Possibly the most common type.

And this type is seen featured on late cars. Still made in India for motorcycle tanks.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 16/03/2016 11:20:10
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2016 :  12:55:35  Show Profile
Sam,
My car left the factory in December 1930 (2431) and has the last example type of cap on your photos. In fact I think your first photo on that series is my car. My coupe left the factory in January 1931 and has a similar cap. I once owned a car that left the factory in February 1930 (2112) which had a cap that was not hinged like the previous example in your photos so the change must have happened between February and December 1930.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Reinout

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2016 :  04:45:37  Show Profile
Sam,

Thank you very much for the detailed clarification. My M is number 2735 and came from the factory on April 8, 1931. I don't know if my tank is original, modified, or custom made, however, the filler neck is different than your second type which you referred to as "The caps below featured around 1930 but I do not know the start and finish dates. Possibly the most common type". I have such a cap but doesn't fit because it is just a little bit too small. Also, the little flanges on the inside of the neck where the four spring like fingers in the cap hook into, are not there. Instead, as you can maybe see on my photo of the filler neck, there are four little studs, further down into the pipe. That set-up seems to fit the Morris Minor cap as the fingers (it has only two) are deeper and also are 'bend' to provide a stop to the twisting motion when putting the cap on. None of the four fingers on the original cap have that 'bend'. I assume that the stop is build in the flanges inside the filler neck.

All this probably proves that my tank (or at least the filler neck) and cap were not original and I'm still looking for a cap that fits. If any one knows a Morris Minor cap for sale, I would love to hear. I also posted the request of the Vintage Minor Register and the Pre-war Minor Network forums, but no responses yet.

Thank you very much and MGreetings,
Reinout Vogt
Emma
1931 M-Type 2M/2735

Edited by - Reinout on 17/03/2016 04:47:00
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2016 :  15:55:13  Show Profile
Reinout,

Caps like yours may also have been fitted to motorcycles, so it is worth searching eBay for vinatge motorcycle petrol caps. There is also a company called Ceandess in Wolverhamton that has been supplying filler caps to the motor trade for decades. www.ceandess.uk They still make some old-style caps. Even if they don't make caps like yours anymore, they may be able to identify what it was fitted to.

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

Reinout

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2016 :  02:00:29  Show Profile
Thank you Malcolm,

You are right with the motorcycles. I even saw something similar at Beaulieu on a motorcycle, same idea, same style, but a little bit smaller. Now that I have some more photos of what I am looking for I will certainly try Ceandess.

Thanks and MGreetings

Reinout Vogt
Emma
1931 M-Type 2M/2735
Go to Top of Page

Drolshagen

Germany
670 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2016 :  07:42:00  Show Profile
Hi Reinout,
easy to buy, there a lot British Bike Parts retailer, google for it,
following a excample
http://britishbikebits.com/3-petrol-cap-3-finger-winged-bsa-m20-m21-1941-47#.Vuuv6nrDuXR
http://britishbikebits.com/chrome-winged-petrol-cap-bsa-goldstar-triumph#.VuuwV3rDuXQ
Carl
J2 4362
L2 2036
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000