Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 P Type firewall fume seal correct profile making
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2016 :  23:03:10  Show Profile
Donald I hope you do not mind but I have been looking at various foam sections to make up a fume seal that matches the original, the advantage of my proposal is that the horizontal joint is within the aluminium support sections and is in only 4 parts. I have no connection with the UK supplier I have used and the lengths shown are for a P type. I have to date only made up the small sample as shown but I believe it is a straight forward process to laminate the section.

New and original section salvaged from PA1733

I hope this maybe of use

Richard
PA1733 YA5206
Go to Top of Page

Brakesoff

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2016 :  08:18:00  Show Profile
Hi Donald,
I too would be interested in a fume seal so like to be added to the list. Also intested in the trafficators when you tackle that project. Fortunately I'm not in a rush.....very slow project.
Thanks and regards,
Nick

NickR
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2016 :  08:43:04  Show Profile
Thanks, Richard
This is excellent information, and pleased to see an original section.
The earlier version I made was like this, only made two, and was based on a forum post some years ago that I was referred to (may have been yours?). The side sections were discontinued from the supplier I knew, Paul Beck. Following a number of requests to reproduce, I redesigned the seal from available sections again from Paul Beck, and developed a gap welding technique using talcum filled black silicon window sealant.
Dimensions of my seal, with a base strip, is 25mm (H), and 28mm (W), this fits a bit more snugly and gives a 'pinch fit'.
The earlier version is still on my car and has lasted really well, no sign of wear after about 3 years, so no need to replace.
The new design has greater strength and flexibility, feedback to date has been excellent.
Would say your design will work fine, with good glue surface preparation and contact adhesive application.
The one thing I added on my revised seal, are an extra 3mm (H) strip each side underneath on the raised corner sections, only.
Regards
Donald
PB0759
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2016 :  09:36:17  Show Profile
Hi Nick
I am making my final small batch of seals this round this week.
Was thinking of keeping one for myself, but am happy to sell to you this last one if you would like it. My original version is still on my car and no sign of fatigue after about 3 years, so no need to replace.
No plan to remake in the short to medium term.
Will contact you by separate email.
Got a few projects in the pipeline, and working on the designs for the patterns for the SF24 trafficators at the moment. Have all the original parts, and a complete original still in its mounting box, for patterns, so all well so far.
Quite a large project, and will be posting progress and a plan of attack on the forum, shortly. I have tested and trialed most of the (numerous) processes involved, and have decided to make a few spec changes where needed. For example, lenses cast in micro-fine fibreglass cloth and coloured epoxy, bonded to the top arm, and using flashing LED bulbs.
Bit of a personal challenge on the SF24s. The design and construction has fascinated me for (many, many!) years. I am often told they are too difficult to make. Background, I made my first solenoid when I was 8, and was making control line speed models from photographs and drawings (no plans), using balsa, spring steel, fibreglass, carbon fibre, cast magnesium, and turned fittings, all made myself (except the casting), when I was 16 (in 1976). These models flew at well over 100 mph. Then the engineering hobby mainly on the PB.
Workshop will also be fully ready by then, at the end of June. This will also allow me to make all my own patterns and tooling.
Giving myself a pep talk...I think I might need it!
Regards
DOnald
PB0759
Go to Top of Page

Brakesoff

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2016 :  11:13:02  Show Profile
Hi Donald,
Thank you so much for this, but, please don't let me deprive you (or anyone else with a more urgent need). I somehow think that there will be enough demand to make a few more at some point.
I too have spent many years building model aeroplanes although while I have been tempted on several occasions to return to the hobby I have been diverted by my other love of MG cars and have decided that the PB needs to restored back to use. It has spent the last 20 years in bits in storage but, no more! Space has been created bits are being sorted and a plan of action is being decided. My aviation passion is kept under control by my day job - pilot. I am somewhat envious of your engineering skills especially having tried my hand at lathe work and milling by building a live steam locomotive. Challenging.

I will send you a pm a little later.

Best regards,
Nick.

NickR
Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2016 :  16:18:56  Show Profile
Donald
Interesting the extra height in your section, as you see my original is detoriated the outer skin very crusty and the foam still flexible, may have lost a little height but the width fits neatly in the retainers on the firewall. My section is probably more rigid than your hollow section so you will have more compression.

Good luck with your trafficator project, I will be interested in having a pair in due course. I understand you using flashing LEDs but would it be possible to switch to static when authenticity is required?

Richard
PA1733 YA5206
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2016 :  22:53:34  Show Profile
The method of installing my revised seal design is shown below, this allows for the angle of the bonnet. The base packing will be largely dependent on the fit and gap between the seal and the bonnet on each car.
For mine, the gap is quite large, so will be using a 6mm base strip, and cutting slots in it for the corners around the protruding ply.
Richard, one suggestion for yours, is to weld the corners for the bend on the corners of the firewall. I found in my earlier type, these corners had a slight tendency to split open.
For those who would like to try their own, the sections used are also noted.
For joining I use high temp contact glue from a spray can. This is thinner and brushes more easily leaving a fine film, and applied using a throwaway epoxy brush.
Trafficators. Yes, the flasher is in the bulb, so could be replaced with a non-flashing one.

Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2016 :  06:58:31  Show Profile
Last small batch of seals completed being dispatched tomorrow.
Following shows test fit of a seal, the revised design with 3mm strip and corner cut-outs on the back.
Fitting alignment using a steel ruler straight edge between the bulkhead and the edge of the radiator.
Test fitted seal.
I have base rubber section on order to make one more for myself, and enough for two more, if interested please contact me directly, or for more information on how to make yourself if desired.
Thank you for your interest, and positive feedback on seals supplied so far.
Regards
DOnald McLeod
PB0759

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000