Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 What first went wrong?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2016 :  14:24:43  Show Profile
I thought for a bit fun as well as being informative, ask the question ... 'what went wrong the first time after a restoration?'

As I am about to resurrect both my D and F very shortly (hopefully!) I know there be something will go wrong, even on the first run. So collecting our experiences from the past may prove useful.

For instance, I had forgotten to (re)tighten up the centre nut for the water pump on my maiden run for my TC! ... the fan went through the radiator. Damn me, yes I did, I really did do it again on my YB!!!! I got to know the Mansfield Radiator man very well.

Along with the first thing going wrong, how about the weirdest as well?

Chris Blood (D0407 & F0753)

Edited by - bloodysalmon on 27/05/2016 14:25:24

Rainier

Netherlands
160 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2016 :  15:04:37  Show Profile
I remember, after changing piston rings etc. on an MGBGT my friend owned, walking back from the parking lot after the first ride that we saw a thick oil trail on the main road. We were already joking about how someone must have lost a lot of oil! Then we came to notice the trail leading to the parking lot. After rushing back to the car we saw the last drips coming out of the sump. We forgot to tighten the plug, as it was only hand tight screwed back. Fortunately no harm was done to the engine!

The lesson learned:
Always tighten everything you put back on the car!

Edit: another time I forgot to remove the pliers with which you squeeze the brake lines so they won't go empty when you remove a brake cylinder. No wonder the brakes first don't seem to work and then won't let go... Hooray for cable brakes, this is not one to be worried about!

Rainier

Edited by - Rainier on 27/05/2016 15:09:13
Go to Top of Page

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2016 :  15:09:13  Show Profile
Split pins in the track rod ends omitted ......... Leading to an increasingly wandering steering over a few days.

Had not stopped it being awarded an MOT though !

Robin

PB 0527
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2016 :  14:23:23  Show Profile
In 2012, having completed a re-build of my 18/80, I took it out for a run with the EMGS and we visited Highclere Castle. On the way back I followed Patrick Gardner in his 18/80 and we called in at Oliver's, who kindly set up the carbs to make it run really well. On the way home this happened:

Whilst I was taking the back axle apart and putting it back together I didn't bend over the tabs on the washer that holds the nut in place on the end of the axle, I didn't want to bend them unnecessarily and cause them to break off, so just as I arrived in Hook, lo and behold I lost all drive and the car was another foot wider, well six inches looking at it. GRRR.

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 29/05/2016 13:43:10
Go to Top of Page

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2016 :  16:33:27  Show Profile
excellent one John, the evidence is there to be seen.

Keep um coming

Chris Blood (D0407 & F0753)
Go to Top of Page

Kts

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2016 :  13:25:11  Show Profile
It wasn't an MG, but after "restoring" my first car, an A Ford, at the age of seventeen, went for a quick test run with body tub on but no interior, fenders, etc., I was quite surprised to be passed by my left rear wheel on a hairpin curve. All four ony hand tightened. Still have car, left rear backing pate has nice flat spot from the skid! Double check every nut!

KTS
J3459
Go to Top of Page

crisonic

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2016 :  01:38:21  Show Profile
Reminds me of my first lesson when rebuilding a car. At the tender age of 15 I fixed my $10 Austin seven .On its first outing all the timing mechanism fell off - left stranded. I had failed to use spring washers throughout the car. Really didn't know about their function - lesson learnt

Pre War owner J2 3018
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000