Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 2 Seater Seatback profile P Type
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2016 :  01:51:50  Show Profile
I am considering getting leather upholstery for my PB.
The seat back in my car is leatherette on a frame copied I believe from the original. Reupholstered in the mid 60s and probably 50,000 miles later, has lasted remarkably well.
It has the nice back shape profile that appears I see in the original cars.
This seems to be missing off many of the cars I see and remade seats today.
I was reminded by James Collingburn recently when I bought some tool rolls, of their excellent leather seats. Looking at these seats they also appear to be more of a flat profile on the seat back, or it could be aspect in the photo?
Can anyone explain why this may have changed?, and what is recommended for my car?
Also, I'd be interested to know if the seats on MMM 2 seaters from J2 to PB were all exactly the same, as mentioned in Barry Walker's current ad?
Donald McLeod
PB0759

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2016 :  15:10:18  Show Profile
The J2 and the PA and PB are the same, except for the "ears" on the P-types which cover the folded top bows.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6130 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2016 :  15:34:56  Show Profile
Don't the P Type seat bases have wooden slats for adjustment whereas the J bases are simply attached to the squab with straps?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2539 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2016 :  16:02:15  Show Profile
Yes Simon, the P ones do indeed however, according to our Dutch friends, so do the J2 ones;

http://www.mgmmm.com/images/Drawings/MG-tekeningen/zitting-062.GIF

I really don't know!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2016 :  21:23:36  Show Profile
It is the spring in the seatback which gives you the profile, correct springs, like the ones we have specially produced for us and use dip inwards slightly. So over time the 2 dips become more pronounced as it is where the driver and the passenger lay their backs. It's only a minor thing but if the spring was totally flat then you: driver and passenger would slide from side to side on it.
Interms of size and shape of the bench seatback (squab) and the 2 seatbases (cushions) all 2 seater P/J/F & L are the same.
The differences are as follows: J2/F2/L2 originally didn't have ears on the seatbacks, some customers prefer them, some don't.
The seatbases were flat on the bottom and the only thing that held them in place was a rexine strap attaching each seatbase to the rear of the seatback and the weight of the driver and passenger held it down. No seat runners were used, seems crazy I know but no-one cared about health and safety back then :)

In P-Types we believe they improved things: "ears" or "wings" were introduced on the side edges of the seatback, I'm sure you can see why: extra protection for the side wall, seatback and hoodrail, The ears are just a covering.
The seatbases were improved with wooden slats to enable you to position them where you wanted. The driver can be furtehr back than the passenger or vice versa and the slats held them in place better.

When customers order seats direct from us I always tell them what was original but they can have slated seatbases and ears in a non P-Type if they wish but most opt for original. We did a P-Type and they customer said "I don't want those silly ears on the side", so it's personal preference.

I am considering getting leather upholstery for my PB.
The seat back in my car is leatherette on a frame copied I believe from the original. Reupholstered in the mid 60s and probably 50,000 miles later, has lasted remarkably well.
It has the nice back shape profile that appears I see in the original cars.
This seems to be missing off many of the cars I see and remade seats today.
I was reminded by James Collingburn recently when I bought some tool rolls, of their excellent leather seats. Looking at these seats they also appear to be more of a flat profile on the seat back, or it could be aspect in the photo?
Can anyone explain why this may have changed?, and what is recommended for my car?
Also, I'd be interested to know if the seats on MMM 2 seaters from J2 to PB were all exactly the same, as mentioned in Barry Walker's current ad?
Donald McLeod
PB0759

[/quote]

James Collingburn
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2016 :  21:40:53  Show Profile
In reply to Donald's questions:

It is the spring in the seatback which gives you the profile, correct springs, like the ones we have specially produced for us and use dip inwards slightly. So over time the 2 dips become more pronounced as it is where the driver and the passenger lay their backs. It's only a minor thing but if the spring was totally flat then you: driver and passenger would slide from side to side on it.

Interms of size and shape of the bench seatback (squab) and the 2 seatbases (cushions) all 2 seater P/J/F & L are the same.
The differences are as follows: F2/J2/L2 originally didn't have ears on the seatbacks, some customers prefer them, some don't.
The seatbases were flat on the bottom and the only thing that held them in place was a rexine strap attaching each seatbase to the rear of the seatback and the weight of the driver and passenger held it down. No seat runners were used, seems crazy I know but no-one cared about health and safety back then :) Seat runners on seatbases were used on TAs onwards.

In P-Types we feel they improved things: "ears" or "wings" were introduced on the side edges of the seatback, I'm sure you can see why: extra protection for the side wall, seatback and hoodrail, The ears are just a protective covering.
The seatbases were improved with wooden slats to enable you to position them where you wanted. The driver can be further back than the passenger or vice versa and the slats held them firmly in place. If it were up to us we would always use slated seatbases bots of customers are aware of the differences and tell me they simply must have it like original.

When customers order seats direct from us I always tell inform them of the above but they can have slated seatbases and ears in a non P-Type if they wish but most opt for original. We did a P-Type recently and the customer was adamant that; "I don't want those silly ears on the side, they look ridiculous", so it's personal preference.

James Collingburn
Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2016 :  01:52:51  Show Profile
Thanks James.
That clarifies concisely.
Regards
Donald
PB0759
Go to Top of Page