Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Chiltern Trials
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Andy Rogers

United Kingdom
302 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2016 :  11:22:36  Show Profile
I keep seeing references in MG books to the 'Chiltern Trials' but can't find any information on them.

As a one-time resident of the Chilterns - specifically Chalfont and Amersham - I would love to be able to find out exactly where they were held and more photos if available.

Can anyone out there help me in my quest ?

In hope.

Andy Rogers

John Reid

United Kingdom
705 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2016 :  11:51:29  Show Profile
Andy,

There is some information in Roger Thomas' book on MG Trials Cars. See page 78 for a list of sections. Also in 2005 Colin Butchers, Bryan Ditchman, Roger Thomas and I organised the Chiltern Hundred event to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the formation of the Cresm Cracker and Musketeer trials team. As you can gather from the title it was based on the Chiltern trials, with the start at the Lambert Arms which was used prewar.

I put together a route book with a lot of information, photographs and map references of the hills. I'll see if I have any left but if not I may still have the computer files.
John
Go to Top of Page

wiggy963

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2016 :  12:05:34  Show Profile
John, I live quite close to the Chilton Hills and would also be interested in seeing the route book and info you mention.

Thanks,

Brian Wise
Go to Top of Page

Andy Rogers

United Kingdom
302 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2016 :  12:59:44  Show Profile
Thanks for the response John and the sources. If you have a spare copy of the route plans etc or if not can find the computer files, then that would be brilliant.

Best

Andy Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
764 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2016 :  15:00:45  Show Profile
I think the first ever M.G. Car Club event was a Chiltern Hills event, I know it started at The Lambert Arms. It was mentioned in The History of the club as published in recent editions of Safety Fast.

John, I too would be interested in where the hills were. I have built so many houses in the area I wonder if any of the hills are now roads with a house that I built on them. When I say built I only did the groundworks.

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 14/04/2016 15:01:24
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3114 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2016 :  08:44:35  Show Profile
Here is a link to a previous thread on the "Chilterns Trials' theme when I was hoping to find out about Mr H.Williams who competed in 1935 and what became of him and his J2.

http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8433&SearchTerms=chiltern

Sam
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3682 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2016 :  10:02:43  Show Profile
I hope this won't be regarded as a 'spoiler' but if you can wait until the 2015 Register Yearbook is published later this year you'll be able to read a splendid article by Colin Butchers about competition motoring in Metro-land, including speed events in the Chilterns!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2016 :  10:25:25  Show Profile
Could I hasten to add that my article in the forthcoming Yearbook does not embrace any of the Chilterns Trials but relates only to the speed events at Chalfont Heights and Joel Park.

As John has already said, the trials hills were dealtwith fully in the Route Book for our Chilterns Hundreds celebration a few years ago. If John is unable to find the spare copy of the route book, I will be able to list all of the trials sections involved together with their map references. Can't do it this week however, but might be able to get down to it in a couple of weeks time.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2016 :  10:45:05  Show Profile
Sam, In Mike Hawke's book "How They Ran" he mentions the name H Williams twice in the Index but he was unable to quote the specific chassis numbers involved. However in his earlier book "75 Years of the J2 M.G" he quotes chassis number J4196 - Reg. Number MG 2905 as having been sold from new to H J P Williams who gained a couple of trials awards with the car. In April 1935 Mr Williams "joined the grown-ups" when he bought K3001 which he used extensively until 1938. Mike also commented that the J2 is thought to have been broken up because in 1998 the M.G. Registration plate was running about on an MGF.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3114 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2016 :  18:44:24  Show Profile
Thanks Colin. I wonder if there is a picture of H Williams anywhere. By the time he owned K3001 he must surely have attracted some attention.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 30/04/2016 18:44:50
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2016 :  19:52:13  Show Profile
In the very informative book "The Hawke History of MMM Competition Cars",(which can be bought very reasonably from the MMM shop, it gives an address for Mr H. J. P. Williams as "The Red House, Buxton," presumably the one in Derbyshire. In the "K3 Dossier" it says "Burton".
Suggest you try the local library for references to him!
Cheers Mike

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000