Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Breaking loose engine PA 1024
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2016 :  23:53:19  Show Profile
This afternoon I removed the starter motor from my engine to see if I could move the flywheel. I placed the car into neutral The engaged the ring gear with a small pry bar and gently pushed down on the bar at the bottom of the gear. No movement.
I then inserted the bar into the top of the ring gear and pulled up. Slight movement occurred.
I then put the bar back into the bottom of the gear. Slight movement again in the opposite direction.
I thought That the motor had broken loose so went to shift the car into 4th to rock back and forth and found to my great concern that the shifter was now completely floppy.
I put the starter crank into the it's hole and tried to turn over the engine. It was still stuck fast.
Does this mean I have a broken crank shaft?

Concerned

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2016 :  00:18:57  Show Profile
This afternoon I removed the starter motor from my engine to see if I could move the flywheel. I placed the car into neutral The engaged the ring gear with a small pry bar and gently pushed down on the bar at the bottom of the gear. No movement.
I then inserted the bar into the top of the ring gear and pulled up. Slight movement occurred.
I then put the bar back into the bottom of the gear. Slight movement again in the opposite direction.
I thought That the motor had broken loose so went to shift the car into 4th to rock back and forth and found to my great concern that the shifter was now completely floppy.
I put the starter crank into the it's hole and tried to turn over the engine. It was still stuck fast.
Does this mean I have a broken crank shaft?

Concerned

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2016 :  10:42:19  Show Profile
Hi Brian, its not too difficult remove the sump from the engine and take a look see. Not a pleasant job though! Not difficult, but mucky.

The floppy gear stick is harder to explain, is the flywheel still only moving a little?

After all this time I think taking the head off is also a must. I left my engine in a seized (wet) condition for too long a few years ago and when dismantling found the rings had left grooves all around the bore, not good!

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

pbryan

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  16:49:09  Show Profile
Sorry to hijack the thread, is it possible to get the sump off without taking the engine out. If so are the any gotchas or is it just the obvious bolts on the bottom of the sump?
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3251 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  17:31:15  Show Profile
The steering links may be slightly in the way, but generally just remove the 4 set screws and 8 (?) nuts, and the sump should drop easily. Of course you will need to remove the sump to pump pipe ahead of time.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  20:19:16  Show Profile
SUCESS !!!!
After 9 cans of Sea Foam Deep Creep, 6 cans PB Blaster (must be made for the P type), and a gallon of White Vinegar.

This morning I was able to make two full revolutions of the engine through the fly wheel pry bar approach. At one point I was able to turn the engine by hand from the crank.
I am putting more penetrating oil into the motor and will continue to work it until it is loose.

I know that I could run the flywheel with the starter however I prefer to take the gentle approach.

Re- my Gear Lever Floppy, I suspect that the first movement of the engine backwards moved the lever away from engagement at the gearbox, so it's up out of the gears at the moment ?

Thank you all for your ideas & encouragement.
I plan on removing the sump still to inspect.

Brian

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000