Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 AKL 459
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ron Grant

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2016 :  12:16:32  Show Profile
With a recent acquisition came a J4 style front blower cowl, made from steel and would appear to be pretty old. It is narrow, so would have fitted a J, P, L or N chassis rather than a K type. The reg No. does not show up in the current register, does anybody know what car this came off and does the car still exist?
Regards Ron

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2016 :  17:38:10  Show Profile
AKL 459 was on J3115. I have it noted as with Mike Stenson (Portsmouth) in 1958 and "running with J4 Front Apron, but un-blown". It was removed from the register in 2008, I may have a note as to why somewhere.

JH
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2016 :  18:35:44  Show Profile
Jeremy, the car is on the database and with a Register number too! Last owner change is given as December 1973 - one Trevor Goodwin may (or may not) still be the owner .... There is no mention of Mr. Stenson on the system. (John Emmett, our sub-registrar for the J2s may be able to add more from the old paper records.)

There's a slight oddity because the car is recorded at some time as having had registration MG 1896 which is/was ex-J2115 - although this may perhaps be a typo error in the long-distant past ....

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

Edited by - DickMorbey on 27/04/2016 18:36:43
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2016 :  19:14:16  Show Profile
Mike Stenson was a friend/ business partner of Sam Bailey who ran a garage in Portsmouth area(his PB had the engine of QA252 fitted in it in the 60s).Sam was a great friend of Geoff Coles when Geoff lived in that area. Sam told me this when i visited him in the early 90s to buy some bits from him when i was building my P special.Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Ron Grant

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2016 :  19:29:01  Show Profile
Jeremy , thank for the info, at least I now know what car it was fitted to.
Oliver, that is very interesting that Sam Bailey was involved, the cowl came from Bob Dickie's parts store and interestingly, my J3 was garaged with Sam Bailey in the late 1950's , so it may well have " lived" with the J3 for quite a long time.
The cowl looks to be well made although a bit knocked about now, but being steel I would not think it is original to a J4, I would have expected it to have been aluminium, having said that, C type cowls were made of steel!
Ron Grant
Go to Top of Page

JohnE

United Kingdom
373 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2016 :  21:02:55  Show Profile
There is nothing more on record for J3115, but the sequence of MG xxxx registrations puts MG 1896 at least six months before the registration date for J3115, but matching up with J2115.

JohnE
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2016 :  21:47:50  Show Profile
And I found this in the file - one for your album Ron: It's a photo taken by MBH & the note with it has Wally Andrews as the J3 owner (which dates it from 59-64). Not much on the back other than the reference to J3115, no reference to J3577 & PA1559 doesn't even get a look in!

On the subject of the cowl, maybe it is an original item, who would have gone to the trouble of making a half decent one out of steel for a car that far back?

Go to Top of Page

Ron Grant

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2016 :  15:26:23  Show Profile
Jeremy,
Brilliant , another picture of J3755 which I have never seen before.
The dates you quote are slightly suspicious, as with some paperwork that came with the car, are letters from a W. J. Male of Venturi Racing, from Portsmouth, the first to Wison McComb in late 1959 enquiring what Wilson knew about the car( he may not have owned it at this time) and a further letter in late 1963 offering the car, or at least ,quote" car parts" to Bob Dickies father.
Geoff Coles drove it in the 1959 Brighton Speed trial, the story goes, he was offered the drive for getting the car going properly. It was unblown at this time and most likely had been since the late 1940's when it was in Belfast.
I seem to have hijacked my own thread somewhat, but am sure it is of interest to a few people, and you never know, more information might come to light because of it.
Thanks again Ron
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000