Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Powder Coated Road Springs
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2016 :  18:18:31  Show Profile
While working on PA 1024, I was visited by one of our neighbors who restore classic & Brass era autos for individuals & museums. HE explained to me his process for restoring road springs.
He removes and disassembles the spring. Then cleans the leaves and has them powder coated. After powder coating he powder coats the bearing surface of each spring with a graphite based Powdercoat. This surface he says never needs further lubrication. He tells me it is incredibly slick. Being dry it does not collect dirt and is easy to clean.

Your comments please...

Best Regards,

Brian

Brian W Sullivan

Jamie

Canada
218 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2016 :  19:27:11  Show Profile
Brian
I would be a bit wary of powder coating springs. Although a few small items are treated that way on our personal MMM's such as rear exhaust hangers and accelerator pedal stops, I've always found powder coating to be a bit brittle and I don't know how it could handle spring flex without cracking. You mention your friend restores cars for museums (static displays) which would make sense but I like black enamel paint and graphite lube between the leaves. Admittedly all springs tend to get a bit grotty with use but I feel this is in keeping with the way they've always been.

Jamie
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3244 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2016 :  20:37:47  Show Profile
I would agree with Jamie, powder coating can crack and then let in moisture etc. I would not even powder coat the chassis.

On my L2 I dismantled, cleaned and greased the leaves and then bound the springs with cord. There is a line of thought that binding the springs makes them too stiff but that has not been my experience.

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 05/05/2016 20:42:32
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2016 :  21:34:48  Show Profile
Jamie & George,

I questioned this product too. This was the reason I asked the question on the forum. I too thought Powder Coat to be too brittle for this application. I will query the neighbor on the products he is using. Perhaps only for static use ? I do know his restorations are put to use though?

I will update after speaking further with him.
Kindly,

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2016 :  22:13:53  Show Profile
Just visited the Neighbors shop...
He explained that they use powder coat but that enamel would work or any automotive paint. The product they apply afterward is the key. They use something called Slip Plate. Here is a link
https://www.slipplate.com/
They mask the edges of the springs and only apply to surfaces where springs bear directly on each other. He carefully keeps the material off the edges with fine line masking tape and peel away after application.
The product is very durable I am told.

Kindly,
Brian

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2016 :  22:55:08  Show Profile
Looks interesting, possibly available from this company in UK, they say ring for price I will do so tomorrow.
http://www.gannonoils.co.uk/Automotive/Lubricants/Slip-Plate_Graphite_Lubricant.html

Richard
PA1733 YA5206
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000