Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Bulletin Archive
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2016 :  13:52:32  Show Profile
seems to have fallen behind hand; is February 2016 yet for reading?

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772

Edited by - Ian Bowers on 18/05/2016 13:53:36

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2016 :  21:35:27  Show Profile
I have been wondering the same, is it put online after the publication of the next issue?

Richard
PA1733 YA5206
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2016 :  12:24:44  Show Profile
Richard, you are correct though I am not sure of the thinking behind this.

Why not simultaneous publication?
Maybe a topic for AOB discussion at the AGM?

John R
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2016 :  15:12:54  Show Profile
How many people John, would pay to receive that which others are able to read the same day for no outlay?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2016 :  15:47:34  Show Profile
Those who prefer hard copy, they certainly exist, see earlier posts, and the experience of the VSCC. It would identify the ones who are happy with the electronic version, and save on the printing and post costs for them. Win, win I would suggest.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2016 :  16:56:06  Show Profile
Ultimately the immediate availability of the on-line version would kill the printed version. In order for the printed version to remain viable, a certain number of paid orders have to be received and this requires a perceived benefit over and above the online version. In this case, immediate availability.

I would make an exception for overseas subscribers for whom airmail is very expensive but sea mail is very slow. Let them see the on-line version immediately if they have paid for a printed version that will arrive eventually.

I am 100% a user of IT and have taken the trouble to acquire the skills that really let me extract the benefits. However, try as I might, I am not comfortable curling up on the sofa to read the bulletin on the laptop or the tablet. There is no substitute for the convenience offered by paper!

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2016 :  18:04:11  Show Profile
Hi, sorry for repeating my view but its so important we optimise coverage.

I am an online fan, I have no need for any more paper through my door. BUT I also love the fact that so many enjoy the paper copy. I just care about reaching as many as possible to help promote what we enjoy so much.

As Malcolm states, we need to keep subscriptions up to pay for prinitng and postage, so we need numbers to keep it viable.

Therefore I am happy with a one bulletin delay for online. (In the future I d be happy to pay to download it immediately, if it didnt damage our ability to keep the paper copy viable)

I think the only new issue here, is we havent been able to publish back copies of the bulletin online in 2016. But this I understand is just process and a few tech hitches not a lack of intent. I m sure it will pop up soon

M

Off to write up Brands, Sillystone and Oulton for the next edition!

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Edited by - Dolts on 23/05/2016 18:04:46
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2016 :  21:58:52  Show Profile
I think the only new issue here, is we havent been able to publish back copies of the bulletin online in 2016. But this I understand is just process and a few tech hitches not a lack of intent. I m sure it will pop up soon

I could be wrong but I understand that the same PDF file is used for printing as is used for loading on-line when the two months has elapsed - so what are the "few tech hitches?" Or does the on-line file require further processing?

John R
Go to Top of Page

Kts

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2016 :  23:01:25  Show Profile
maybe i am missing something, but what is the point of viability vis a vis the printed copy? does the club make a profit on it? if not, I would suggest the on
line edition is the way to go for all subscribers. I realize some of our more senior? members may be not up to the techno challenge of an electronic magazine, but surely everyone knows someone who could print them a copy at less cost then the glossy club offering if they need to hold paper! I for one would appreciate timeliness over hands on everytime!

KTS
J3459
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2016 :  09:53:36  Show Profile
When sitting in the smallest room, I prefer to read a paper magazine rather than balance a laptop on my knees.

"...surely everyone knows someone who could print them a copy at less cost than the glossy club offering..." At the current cost of printer ink, I doubt it.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2016 :  10:23:11  Show Profile
You "online" people accept that our cars are a "bit behind the times" so lets keep our traditional form of Bulletin and Yearbook. If you don't want to wait simply subscribe to the paper edition and get it like the rest of us......
I do use the internet... slowly... not "cos I do 2 finger typing but we live out in the country a long way from the telephone exchange with "crap" old wires on poles......though I understand the government intend to address this........... not holding my breath on that promise!
GOG/ aka FOZ
grumpy old git....
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2016 :  10:26:17  Show Profile
I had hoped that my deliberate reference to my tech skills would have deflected the "Senior members"/"techno challenge" argument.

If I choose to drink my tea from bone china it is not because I am superannuated and cannot grasp the techno challenge of a polystyrene cup.

Ironical really when the whole reason for the existence of this forum is that we have all made a choice to share our enthusiasm for an obsolete technology.

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2016 :  18:16:31  Show Profile
Agree with what you say, Malcolm, but the forums serve a completely different purpose compared to the published in print Triple-M stuff. Hopefully that will survive along with our cars and enthusiasm, whereas most of the stuff here ceases to be of value quite quickly and needs deleting.
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2016 :  20:17:42  Show Profile
Foz,

You may have misunderstood me. I was not commenting on the forum itself but on the irony that we are all here on the forum out of a love of MMM cars (the obsolete technology) and yet when it comes to the bulletin there is a school of thought that says "let's dump the obsolete technology of printing" in favour of the on-line option. (You posted your comment while I was writing mine so there is a bit of a non sequitur.)

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2016 :  21:52:27  Show Profile
Totally support the printed version of both Bulletin and Yearbook (I edited the latter for several years) and might even renew my Bulletin subscription rather than rely on borrowing from a local source

My question was about simultaneous publication on-line and not to have such a gap - and reasons have been given as to why there is the gap. So be it.

What I find useful is to be able to search on line to find something, then go to the bookshelf and read hard copy.

John R
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2016 :  22:51:16  Show Profile
The latest issue (June 2016) of 'Totally T-Type 2' was uploaded to my website last Wednesday. 4149 'subscribers' worldwide received an e-mail advising them of this. The file size for the web version is 3MB. The Printers were advised simultaneously that the latest version was available for printing and they picked up an enhanced version (22MB) from the web. I received the proof copy yesterday and I'll receive the printed copies in the next day or so.

Only 100 copies are printed and 50 sent within the UK and 7 sent Overseas. A few complimentary copies are also sent.

Rates for the 6 issues in 2016/2017 are £15 UK, £25 EU and £30 ROW. I aim to break even with these rates. The viability of the printed version is not in doubt, but of course more subscribers would be welcome.

The on-line version is of course free but I do occasionally receive donations from these 'subscribers'.

There doesn't seem to be a problem or tension between those who pay for the printed copy and those who download from the web for free. Actually, most of the printed copy subscribers also download from the web.

I don't understand the reference to 'tech hitches'.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000