Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Makers of new hoods
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2016 :  11:00:21  Show Profile
Can anyone recommend please a person or firm, ideally south of London and east of Hampshire, who will make a DECENT hood?

Cheers,

Dave

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2016 :  11:47:42  Show Profile
Bryan Purves made an excellent hood for a TD I had about 10 years ago.
Worth a look at his web site http://www.bryanpurves.co.uk/mg/4578629498
Near Hartfield, East Sussex, handy for you Dave.
Graham
PB0602

Edited by - graham holdsworth on 09/06/2016 11:51:12
Go to Top of Page

philcoombs

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2016 :  12:17:09  Show Profile
Bryan did a great job on a new tonneau for the J2 a couple of years ago.
Philip
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2016 :  13:47:19  Show Profile
Silver Fern, Newport Pagnell, did a very good job on the weather equipment for my car.

I have no connection, just a satisfied customer

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6134 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2016 :  06:19:27  Show Profile
Dave,

Bryan Purves made the hood, etc., for my J2. I'll write to you about the experience once we get the Ulster Tour concluded.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2016 :  18:56:00  Show Profile
Thank you to all who have replied. Unfortunately George, living between Brighton & Eastbourne, Newport Pagnell is too far away really!

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6134 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2016 :  23:45:49  Show Profile
Dave,

I crossed the Irish Sea and drove the J2 over 250 miles (including round the M25 in the snow with no hood!) to get to Purves. So 125 miles to Newport Pagnell could be well worth it!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  16:04:27  Show Profile
Perversely since I'd said George's firm was too far away, I Googled them. They don't seem to be on the web, but I came up with this which some may find useful; http://oldcarservices.co.uk/interior-trim-supplies-upholstery/.

Scrolling through I found a firm only 7 miles from me and recognised 2 cars in the "work done" photos. http://www.smtrimming.co.uk/

One owner has already emailed that they were not cheap but that as Sir Henry Royce said, "The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten". He went on to say he'd had no regrets about choosing the firm.

I think I'm probably sorted, but thank you all for your advice.

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2016 :  14:37:32  Show Profile
Dave, Is anything to do with MMM cars cheap these days ? I rather think not. It might be worthwhile you calling in to Hove Trimming Company in St. Joseph's Close, Hove (just off the Old Shoreham Road). I did not have a hood made, but they did good work on my MGB Webasto and in fact charged a lot less than I expected. They do much work on "up market" convertibles (which could be a good sign of their ability), and should be able to cope with a PA hood - provided of course that you can describe exactly what you want done.
A copy of Simon's Yearbook article on hoods would probably help them.

Also, quite recently Bryan Ditchman discovered a trimmer/hood maker at Haywards Heath who has done some good work on his 4 seat PB fr him but as yet, not a new hood. If you want to talk to Bryan, his phone number is 0118 932 6346.

Best wishes

Colin.

Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2016 :  15:04:38  Show Profile
Hi Colin,
Yes, you're absolutely right. The real thing was his quote of Sir Henry which, when taken with his lack of any regrets in choosing the firm, suggests they would be worthy of my custom. They are also only 7 miles away.

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2016 :  18:36:09  Show Profile
I currently don't make any weather equipment for MMM MGs but may in the future as I do have patterns for almost every model.
Ideally though take your car to a local trimmer and he makes a pattern for the hood using the hood frame for his measurements. This is the only way to guarantee a good fit.
Originally they were cheap and didn't last long so you had to buy another "Ragtop" as they were called. They didn't fit well, not even in T-Types and they weren't even waterproof until Wigan and Double Duck was invented. They were canvas and you coated them with wax like a wax jacket. Thank god for modern hooding materials, new ones are far better every time.

Try these guys: http://www.prestigeautotrim.com/uk/mg.html?gclid=COrlk7mP0dACFZUW0wodincEbQ

http://www.monsooncarhoods.co.uk/?gclid=CNXc9suP0dACFUHnGwodRnoB3g

James Collingburn
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2016 :  23:12:01  Show Profile
Thanks for that James. In fact I already have my hood & re-covered sidescreens from SM Trimming, mentioned in my last post above.

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2016 :  10:48:15  Show Profile
Hi Dave,
I know, I tend to see these things and reply delayed.
Just thought I would share a couple of contacts and info for MG owners future reference.

This is an excellent online business directory for "Car Trimmers & Upholsterers" and you search within a 30 mile radius. A local trimmer with access to your car is better for weather equipment than an off the peg hood. Without the car you can never guarantee a good fit.

www.localsearch24.co.uk
http://www.localsearch24.co.uk/advertise-on-local-search-24.aspx

James Collingburn

Edited by - thecollingburnboys on 05/12/2016 11:15:37
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000