Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MMM Wheel restoration
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2016 :  10:42:03  Show Profile
I went to James Wheildon in Salisbury to get several old centres rebuilt with new rims and spokes. James is in the process of retirng and his business has now been taken over by Nick, working from the same workshop. Nick recommended going for complete new wheels as he could not do a rebuild for a lower price than a totally new wheel supplied my Motor Wheel Ssrvices. I bought a pair of MWS wheels via Nick, and have no regrets, now that the credit card bill has been paid and the size of the bill has passed out of my short term memory !

I am sure that Nick (or MWS) could arrange shipment to the US.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Christian Cottes

France
114 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2016 :  18:51:30  Show Profile
Good evening,

My question may be somewhat marginal in this topic, but let me take this opportunity.

I experienced broken spokes on the J2 (rear end, starting on right-hand side, and furious wheel wobble after half a dozen had gone... ). Bugatti, Amilcar, Salmson drivers were asking : why are the spokes bolted to the outer part of the rim, rather than to the central rib ? In most designs, both spokes which start from the side hub of the wheel and the wheel nut side converge to the center rib. Is there a reason why another design was retained on our MG's ?

(hope I made myself clear...English is not my native language)
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2016 :  19:43:50  Show Profile
Hi Christian

Your English is very good.

In the past I did consider having old wheels refurbished but decided they were always rusty and damaged etc and it was cheaper and safer to buy new.

Like Colin I have used Motor Wheel Services on my cars, both both of which were supercharged, I have gone for 60 spoke wheels, this was after several N type owners complained about breaking spokes.

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 02/07/2016 19:45:03
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2016 :  20:30:49  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Butchers

I went to James Wheildon in Salisbury to get several old centres rebuilt with new rims and spokes. James is in the process of retirng and his business has now been taken over by Nick, working from the same workshop. Nick recommended going for complete new wheels as he could not do a rebuild for a lower price than a totally new wheel supplied my Motor Wheel Ssrvices. I bought a pair of MWS wheels via Nick, and have no regrets, now that the credit card bill has been paid and the size of the bill has passed out of my short term memory !

I am sure that Nick (or MWS) could arrange shipment to the US.

Colin B.

Colin,

I recall also using MWS for an exchange wheel for my TC. I seem to remember the price was £2/17/6d .

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2016 :  10:06:13  Show Profile
Simon, That must have been when the TC was first inroduced. Why did you go to MWS instead of Abingdon ? If you remove the first "forward slash" you are close to the current price of a single wheel ! As I mentioned, I have now got over it, I really have.

Best wishes,

Colin.
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1940 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2016 :  10:41:40  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Christian Cottes

Good evening,

My question may be somewhat marginal in this topic, but let me take this opportunity.

I experienced broken spokes on the J2 (rear end, starting on right-hand side, and furious wheel wobble after half a dozen had gone... ). Bugatti, Amilcar, Salmson drivers were asking : why are the spokes bolted to the outer part of the rim, rather than to the central rib ? In most designs, both spokes which start from the side hub of the wheel and the wheel nut side converge to the center rib. Is there a reason why another design was retained on our MG's ?

(hope I made myself clear...English is not my native language)

Christian,

A good point.

In reponse to your question, I believe that MMM MGs went with an offset design in order to minimise the wheel camber angle and king pin angle whilst achieving a balanced spoke side angle. This was changed with the later T types which are centre laced. Probably at that time they were thought to be a better balanced design and more rigid being symmetric.

I don't see a problem with side laced wire wheels as the plethora of post war offset designs seem to support.

I must emphasise that I speak from relative ignorance and am only making a personal observation in the hope of provoking a more convincing response from somebody who really does know.

Nigel.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2016 :  12:50:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Butchers

Simon, That must have been when the TC was first inroduced. Why did you go to MWS instead of Abingdon ?

Not quite, but it was only twenty years old as I recall! MWS were an easy Tube journey from Turnpike Lane to Goldhawk Road with the wheel under my arm!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

JohnE

United Kingdom
374 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2016 :  20:56:29  Show Profile
I suspect the real attraction of centre laced whels in 1946 was to get an extra 1.5 inches of body width from the same back axle. There were narrower two strip running boards that went with that, and they are the only way that I can spot a TC from a TA/B.

By the way, TA steering is certainly not improved by fitting TC wheels.

JohnE
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2016 :  22:00:01  Show Profile
It seems that spoke wheels are a hot button for all our cars. When considering what failure of the wheel at speed might produce. It does not appear that restoring 80 year old wheels is the best plan for one who want's to drive their car.
It appears that full spoke replacement is required to drive the car..
sounds as though original restored wheels are good for museums and not necessarily for use.

Best,

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  10:32:11  Show Profile
No Brian, I don't agree. In the 70s I used my 1935 NA extensively in trials, sprints, hill climbs and races, on the original 18" side-laced wheels. True I broke a few spokes from time to time, but the old maxim "a stitch in time etc. etc" was very valid. If I noticed a broken spoke, I replaced it straight away. If you leave it you will break more and more, resulting in a possible collpase and eventual total and costly rebuild. The only reason that I bought two new MWS wheels for the PA was that the original 80 year old ones never ran quite as true as I wanted. I don't mind a bit of "run-out" on the rears, but I wanted the fronts to be as true as my funds would allow.

Colin B.
Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
874 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  13:58:17  Show Profile
I could imagine, that the layout of wire-wheels was changed from outside-laced to center-laced was done in 1936 because Abingdon was confronted more and more by customers having flat foot problems.

On the center-laced wheel. the nipples of the spokes can be covered by a rubber band, which is difficult to do on side-laced wheels.

I also struggled at quite a lot of occasions, with that trouble !
Gerhard

Edited by - Gerhard Maier on 04/07/2016 14:00:18
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  16:08:16  Show Profile
Collin,

Good News!
Thank you for sharing your experience. It was my hope that the car could be run on the original wheels and sounds as though you put them through their paces! My previous post was what I thought the general consensus of those commenting was. So now I am re-thinking....

Best,

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

Tim Luffingham

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  16:32:45  Show Profile
I visited MWS in Slough recently. Very friendly.

They'll take your old wheels for examination and approximately 1 week later will give you a written report. Typically £450 per wheel. re spoked, sandblasted, sprayed and balanced. About one month to do the job. ( I had an involuntary dizzy spell soon after £450 per wheel being mentioned, and not sure if VAT is on top!)

A new 19 inch wheel ( they have a factory in India ) silver painted is £178 plus vat. I think the chrome are £198 plus vat. As the valve hole on the new wheel is side mounted, you'll need new tubes @£20 each and balancing at another £20 each. They have tyres in stock too though my old ones were fine and they swapped them over while I waited. .

I'm delighted with the result.
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2016 :  10:14:40  Show Profile
Tim, are the new (Indian) wheels fitted with butted spokes?

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3678 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2016 :  10:28:30  Show Profile
Back in 2011 I bought 4 new 19" Indian wheels from Richards Bros in Cardiff. They weren't cheap - came in at £210 each including freight - but so far after 9,000 miles they have been faultless.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000