Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Wanted - Archaeologists
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  17:54:47  Show Profile
The story goes like this...

This morning, a passing lady, my sort of age-ish, asked if the car was 1930. I responded 1932 which elicited a flash of satisfaction. On asking about her interest she replied that her parents had looked after a pilot's car during the war. He never reclaimed it, nor did his family ever get in touch. By 1952 it was in very poor shape so they buried it on the farm.

The car presumably looked similar to my F Type so is very possibly MMM and is still out there. I gather they did try to recover it in recent years but couldn't find it.

I am in touch with the lady. Her sister still lives on the farm and I have offered to take her for a visit one day to see if we can find out more. But don't raise your hopes. I gather it was used to fill in a pond; so time, damp, etc will have taken their toll.

However, if anyone has "ground penetrating radar" in their workshop it could prove useful!

I gather the farm in in Nottinghamshire so if the story has surfaced before it would be useful to know if more details are available.

Hopefully I will learn more during the summer.

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  19:20:04  Show Profile
Hi Peter, I couldn't help but respond to such a call. Alas I dont have radar equipment to search the depths but I do live as you know near to Mansfield in Nottinghamshire. And ... my favourite program is/was Time Team and actually did some digging during my school CSE qualifications; it doesnt really count for being an expert though but the tale sounds intrigueing. If you wish to share more then do let me know Peter.

Chris Blood (D0407 & F0753)
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  20:38:42  Show Profile
Peter,
I have access to such kit, but can't tell the difference between the stuff you use to look for walls & the stuff that just looks for disturbance. T'other half is the one into that sort of thing. However, You'll have to convince her she's looking for a Roman Villa or early settlement of sorts to get her interested!

JH
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3678 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  21:09:29  Show Profile
Jeremy, just quote 'Laudes Augete Priores' to establish the Latin connection

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  21:38:27  Show Profile
It would be great if the car could be disinterred, it would not be the first such event as Philip Bayne-Powell did the same with a fire damaged N chassis he had buried many years ago.

And then there is Babs, the car which was buried at Pendine sands following the death of Parry Thomas during an attempt at the land speed record.

We look forward to hearing how the story unfolds.

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 04/07/2016 21:42:34
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  21:44:34  Show Profile
OK

So we have the kit, we have base camp at Chris's...

And a petrol driven, ash framed, Roman chariot to find...

This is beginning to look like a possibility!

Watch this space...

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  23:02:45  Show Profile
You will also need a spade or two don't forget !

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2016 :  10:22:21  Show Profile
Just don't let Tony Robinson anywhere near it - I find him rather irritating (except as Baldrick)!

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

briang

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2016 :  21:15:27  Show Profile
Once you've dug up that one, come to Cornwall and exhume a BMW 328 and Ballamy Allard that reputedly lie under a local (filled-in) quarry.
I did have a poke about some years ago and found some bits, but got chased away by a fierce dog!

Brian
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2016 :  22:19:55  Show Profile
Well there is a development...

It would seem to be a Jap engined 3 wheeler Morgan and not an MG. My contact has searched her memory and put crosses on a map of the farm. I have offered to take her up to Nottingham to see her sister and let them decide on what they want to do.

I have to decide, I suppose, whether to turn it over to the Morgan Club or carry on. Jamie's wife may be the decider here with her archaeological kit...

Thanks for all comments - I don't doubt that some day there will be a club to find and dig up all these cars.

Has anyone got contacts in the Morgan fraternity?

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  16:09:55  Show Profile
I seem to remember years ago a tale about a K3 (?) supposedly under a supermarket car park in Ireland. Anyone else hear that?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000