Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Water Pump
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2016 :  14:15:39  Show Profile
I am looking for a water pump preferably an older used one.
I started my engine for the first time yesterday and found a porous area in my cylinder block water jacket and need to ceramic seal it. The ceramic sealant has to be pumped around as it will not work by thermo syphon. I don't really want to buy new as this repair may not work and may spoil the pump internals.

Still looking for a pump.

Thanks.

Fred.
EX PA 0788
PA 2081

Edited by - mgptype on 26/08/2016 22:57:10

Chris MD Little

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2016 :  17:23:07  Show Profile
Good afternoon Fred,
Serviceable old water pumps are like hens teeth due to corrosion damage, and therefore likely to be expensive.
If you contact Car Builder Solutions or Demon Tweeks you should be able to buy an electric one for less and you could run the pump with the engine stopped.
Best regards,
Chris.

Chris Little
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2016 :  17:54:34  Show Profile
Hi Chris,
Thanks for your thoughts on old pumps. You are correct that they do corrode and most old ones are U/S but, I have heard of people removing them from there cars as their engines run too cool.
I have thought about an electric pump but, Irontite liquid ceramic has to be done with the engine running for several hours and has to reach running temperature. It will not work on a cold engine also I want to fit a correct pump as a permanent fixture on my car.
If there are no good pumps out there, I will have to re think about a possibly buying new pump.

Fred..

Fred.
EX PA 0788
PA 2081
Go to Top of Page

Chris MD Little

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2016 :  09:31:35  Show Profile
Hi Fred,
My friend with a J2/PB fitted a water pump to get the engine to warm up quicker when he was using the car to go to work, as you did in the 1960s
The answer is to fit a thermostat as well as a water pump and then the car is much nicer to drive. We have done trials but the thermostat unit itself was not much good so we are working on a better one. The trials showed that running the engine at a constant temperature it ran really sweetly.
I bought a new water pump assembly. S&V and Vintage MG spares both usually stock them but I think they may all originate from one supplier. Be prepared for some minor work to make it fit properly, also some gland leaks so make sure there is a drain hole on the outboard side just above the bearing location.
Best of luck,
Chris.

Chris Little
Go to Top of Page

pauly45

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2016 :  16:16:17  Show Profile
I'm hopefully not too far off needing a water pump too.
I wondered what minor work is required to make them fit!
Paul
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2016 :  11:35:54  Show Profile
Chris and Paul.
On my last P type, I fitted a new pump which was made in Australia. I don't remember having to make any adjustments to make it work. I do know that a ceramic seal was used (not a gland) and gave me no trouble at all. Worked straight out of the box.

Fred.
EX PA 0788
PA 2081
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2016 :  13:59:48  Show Profile
When I fitted mine I had to relieve the base of the body a little where it abuts the dynamo - very minor but necessary,

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

r.warr

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2016 :  17:11:14  Show Profile
I have an old PA pump which may or may not be of use for what you require to do.
If you would like to talk to me on 01527 521650 I will explain its condition.
Ron
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2016 :  19:17:06  Show Profile
Many thanks Ron.

Much appreciated.

Fred.
EX PA 0788
PA 2081
Go to Top of Page