Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M-Type Rear Springs
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nigel

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2004 :  17:44:35  Show Profile
My very non standard M-Type appears to have original rear springs but I cannot get over just how hard the springing is at the back end. It feels like I'm dislocating the base of my spine everytime I go over the slightest bump. 'Sleeping police men' are suicidal!

Was the M-Type naturally very hard sprung at the back ... or am I just getting old!? Has anyone ever put softer springs on the back? If so I would appreciate any info... including a source of such items. On the other hand can you remove a leaf to achieve the same result? ...any suggestions as to which one.

Thanks in advance.

Nigel

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2004 :  22:39:25  Show Profile
Nigel,

Just a thought, are the rear shock absorbers done up to much which is stopping the springs flexing?

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

Nigel

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2004 :  12:19:44  Show Profile
Thanks for your replies Maurice and Peter. Yes I do have Blower and had forgotten that it has that road spring data sheet. So I will check whether the springs are right (I suspect that these will be
original knowing what has and has not been done to the car over the last 30 -40 years prior to my ownership). I will also check the shocks as suggested.

Still wonder whether it is generally felt that the 'M' springing was particularly hard though..... the springs certainly look pretty hefty for such a light back end.

Thanks

Nigel
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1474 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2004 :  21:39:48  Show Profile
Re: M type rear springs. Hopefully you have sorted them out by now.`If not I have another suggestion, if they are quite old then what can happen, particularly with square cut leaves,is that the shorter leaves can wear a step in the next leaf. When this happens the leaves cannot slide when the spring flexes, so the whole thing almost locks solid. I have always thought the M was rather more comfortable in the ride department that later Midgets,but new springs definitely are a bit solid until they've had a bit of use.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000