Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Events | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Touring tales
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tim Luffingham

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2016 :  02:24:28  Show Profile
Pleased and very relieved to report a successful 1220 mile, 8 day trip around S Ireland in my 4 seater PA last week.
Her travel companions were a ( Racing Green) 1920's style Bentley Speed 8 - though on a 1948 Mark 6 chassis. Also a 1955 XK 140. Friends we met last year on the Angouleme Rally.

Very much the baby of the trio, she was helped along by a Volumex blower, recently fitted by Peter Green.

http://classictravelling.com who normally do accompanied tours, sold me their ' Irish Tour' guide book which kept the route varied and interesting, much of it on The Wild Atlantic Way, coast road.

Due time constraints we trailered her to Wexford in the S East. Then drove to Kinsale, ( Cork), Killarney for the Ring of Kerry, and Dingle. West coast through Galway, Cliffs of Moher and on to Connemara. A last night knees up in Dublin before heading back down south to Wexford for the Rosslare - Pembroke ferry.

Quiet roads, fabulous scenery and a warm welcome throughout. The hotel owner in Connemara told us he'd been tracking us for days on the Irish website Backroads.ie where sightings of unusual cars are reported.

I wonder if anyone else would like to share this ( or previous) years touring tales?

Edited by - Tim Luffingham on 24/08/2016 10:34:58

colintf

United Kingdom
1510 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2016 :  06:28:08  Show Profile
Hi Tim,
It was great to meet you at Prewar Prescott and I am pleased to hear the trip went well :)

D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2016 :  20:16:33  Show Profile
Great !

We managed some 800 miles this summer, mostly made by a trip from St Malo to just south of Toulouse. Two overnight stays so about 200 miles per day. The first stop ( Mauleon ) was punctuated by a pool of water under the radiator .... This we watched carefully being obliged to stop from time to time. We needed more water than the car. Next stop in Bergerac then on to our destination.

Two removals of the radiator and then some improvised pressure testing revealed the leak from the boss for the drainage tap. A bit of soft soldering has resolved the issue.

I know that in France no doubt as in Ireland the relatively quiet roads are a pleasure to drive on. Whenever we stopped people would approach to enquire if we were looking lost and for information about the PB.

Touring in England is in my view very hard work due to congestion and sadly poor driving behaviour, France is brilliant.

Looking towards next year

Robin

PB 0527
Go to Top of Page

MarkH

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2016 :  13:21:49  Show Profile
Well done Tim, looked like a great trip!

Bests,

MSH
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000