Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M Type Queries
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

geoffw

Australia
106 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2016 :  06:08:14  Show Profile
After 40 years of ownership I have decided to tidy up my metal body M.
Most of the things needing rectifying are straight forward (minor body damage etc) but I need help with a few things.
Should there be a dust seal on the bootlid & if so what profile, is it attached to the lid or the body & how?
Should there be any stays on the rear wings? Mine are only attached by 3 bolts passing through the rear valance to the chassis. If there should be stays details please.
Fabric body cars have angle pieces supporting the door pillars & attached to the floor (total 2 off per side). My car has none, should metal bodied cars have these supports
My car does not have a prop shaft tunnel. Could someone help with a dimensioned sketch so I can make one?
I'll probably find other things as I proceed but this is enough for now.
Geoff in Sunny Queensland!

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2016 :  11:11:10  Show Profile
Geoff,

Any apparent reluctance to give you some answers may be because no one feels qualified to cover them all. I don't have a metal-clad car, so I can't comment on the boot. However, I can't see any reason why the body strengtheners would have been omitted. Each one also has a single bolt that goes through the floor into the chassis, so they are key to the stablitity of the structure.

It sounds as though you may have non-standard rear wings. A photo would help. Yes, there is a stay between the lower rear wing edge and the chassis.

There has been a lot of discussion on the forum about the M Type transmission tunnel but it is not clear if you have read the archives. That would help you a lot. Just search "tunnel"; it's not all about the M Type but relevant stuff is easy to spot. One key question is: Do you have the angle iron floor strengthener with the inverted "U" just behind the gearbox? Without it the tunnel is not strong enough to prevent floor sag.

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2016 :  12:10:26  Show Profile
Rear of the rear wing to chassis bolt on a late car.
I believe that the earlier wings had a straight bolt.

Go to Top of Page

BobH

United Kingdom
250 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2016 :  12:19:43  Show Profile
No dust seal on my boot - just the lip which overlaps the body. Not a very good picture but this shows the raised lid.

Go to Top of Page

geoffw

Australia
106 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2016 :  22:04:42  Show Profile
I'm still looking for answers to some of my queries.
There are a number of metal bodied cars shown in the 'Members Cars' section, please one of you let me know about the pillar braces.
As far as I know my M is the only factory metal bodied car in Australia so I can't just slip down the road to check details.

Geoff
Go to Top of Page

gwaiting

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2016 :  08:51:21  Show Profile
Hi,
Yes the pillar braces are fitted, I have most of an original metal panel body as patterns, the evidence is clear on the A and B posts.
Regards,
Garry
Go to Top of Page

geoffw

Australia
106 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2016 :  21:23:33  Show Profile
Thank you Garry. I will make some & fit them.

Regards, Geoff.
Go to Top of Page

poulsendk

Denmark
270 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2016 :  07:44:20  Show Profile
Here is a Photo with the 2 brackets for post 1 and 2. The two inner bolts is bolted to the chassis.

Jorgen Poulsen

MGM 1930 MGM 1931
Go to Top of Page

geoffw

Australia
106 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2016 :  22:19:25  Show Profile
Thanks also Jorgen.
I still would like some details on the tunnel. I looked at M1524 yesterday but its tunnel is not what I need, probably because it has an Oz built body (from new).
I need the radius of the top (or tunnel width), height, width of flanges for both prop shaft & gearbox tunnels + Dimensions & material sizes for front support bracket.

Geoff
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000