Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Ron Grant
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2016 :  20:49:17  Show Profile
I would like to add my own tribute to Ron and I am not ashamed to say I have a massive lump in my throat as I write this. He was always full of enthusiasm for the projects he was working on sometimes with almost child like excitement when he had succeeded in a particularly difficult project. He was a brilliant,practical and capable engineer and we all benefitted because of his absolute love of overhead camshaft MG cars and his willingness so often to produce many castings and parts without which I know I could never have completed my own projects.
I am so grateful for knowing him and for counting him as a good friend.
I saw Ron last week and was so sorry to see how his illness had affected him but I was amazed how he bore it with such courage and fortitude.
So sad as I looked around his workshop to see his unfinished cars of which he was so proud.
R.I.P Ron

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Keith Pilgrim

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2016 :  21:12:50  Show Profile
A much admired friend for 40 years. We had great engineering discussions. Ron had that infectious enthusiasm which always encouraged you to do more. Even last week he was a man on a mission. A sad day and loss of so much practical information which he was always anxious to impart.
His ability to remember names and recall the history of the cars that were owned around the world was impressive. A true Triple Ema and mate.

Keith Pilgrim
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2016 :  21:28:19  Show Profile
I first met Ron just a few years ago, but in the time I knew him he helped me on many occasions to understand the workings of the Triple M MG's.
His passing is a great loss to our world. It was a privilege to know him.
R I P. Ron
Go to Top of Page

Dan F

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2016 :  22:25:05  Show Profile
Very sad indeed ! a wonderful person and engineer !
Our best to his family,
Dan
Go to Top of Page

rustcollector

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2016 :  11:17:16  Show Profile
Ditto... to what everyone has said.

I met Ron when he supplied me some castings, I picked them up from his workshop and as I was also an Engineer we hit it off.

We talked and talked and I looked at everything he was doing and must have picked up and looked and asked hundreds of questions, I ended up staying 6 hrs.

Ron kept in touch with me regularly and was always interested in what I was up to.

Strangely I was thinking about him yesterday and was thinking I should see how he was.

He was very motivated, after his first illness and op , he was straight back in the workshop and working on his cars.

Then he had his next illness and was sometime in hospital, still motivated and wanting to get back to work.

So sad to lose a friend like Ron.

God bless.
Go to Top of Page

Jamie Dowley

United Kingdom
94 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2016 :  17:35:46  Show Profile
Always a pleasure to talk to Ron on the phone, and in person, he really did have a passion for the provenance of the MMM racing cars in particular. Very sad news

Sports & Vintage Motors
Go to Top of Page

Jamie

Canada
218 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2016 :  20:49:48  Show Profile
Such sad news,,,,Ron has been so helpful to us with castings, etc. For several of our projects. Our best to his family, he will be sorely missed!
Jamie and Harry

Jamie
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2016 :  08:48:08  Show Profile
On behalf of Ron's family can l say a massive thank you to all those Triple M people, from home & abroad, who have paid tribute to Ron on this forum. I know that Ron , in his usual self-effacing way,would have been surprised but quietly pleased with the comments that have been posted about him.
In spite of what has been written, l feel that words cannot really express his contribution over the years to the rebuilding, maintenance & performance of our o.h.c MGs.
His engineering knowledge & skill resulted in the availability of many parts which otherwise would have been virtually impossible to find or be unusable in their ' second-hand ' condition.
His knowledge of superchargers& the associated manifolds & driveshafts has enabled many cars to be thus fitted ; much to their owners delight.
Once again, from myself but principally from his family, thank you all for your kind
words.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2016 :  19:12:03  Show Profile
I echo, this is such sad news and the loss of a very skilled and highly enthusiastic engineer. The timing also seems so incredibly unfortunate also when he had nicely got his MMM emporium up and running having retired not so long ago. Rest in peace Ron

Richard

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2016 :  22:51:49  Show Profile
My condolences to Ron's family at this very sad time. I remember his help over the years and nothing was ever too much trouble.
John R
Go to Top of Page

Peter Hentschel

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2016 :  04:58:50  Show Profile
What a loss to the MMM community and what an extraordinary person. Ron appears to have been an unsung hero who has touched many of us in many different ways. Until 2 month ago I had never heard of Ron, and he certainly didn't know me. Introduced by a mutual friend thru email, Ron (after letting me know that he was terminally ill) still found the time to graciously search his inventory of spares and find a blower appropriate for my PB restoration project. With so little time left for concerns far more important he was willing to spend time to help someone he had never even met! This was certainly a rare individual, and I can easily see why so many of you have been able to share so many similarly insightful reflections on his wonderful character. I am sure he will be missed by all who knew him.

[Peter]
Go to Top of Page

racerdan

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2016 :  22:53:11  Show Profile
For more than 15 years Ron, (along with Alan) helped to make our stall at Beaulieu (R160) complete. Without Ron's advice and talent, our MMM projects would have been a much greater challenge. Ron's humor, kindness, and his vast knowledge of MMM cars, not to mention his engineering skills, certainly will be missed. We hope that all of our MMM friends will join us at Beaulieu in 2017 to pay special tribute to him. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Ron's Family and friends. From the Yanks on R160... Dan Lanier, Curt Liposcak, Bill Goulette, and Bill Putnam.

Dan
Go to Top of Page

Digby

United Kingdom
133 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2016 :  07:38:23  Show Profile
I did not know Ron but he obviously touched many in the MMM world. Could someone put together some words for a tribute to go in the Bulletin with photos. It would be nice to have an appropriate record of his involvement. I am happy to collate if several people would send in their recollections. dg-digbybibbs@btconnect.com
Go to Top of Page

Anders Dahlberg

Sweden
64 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2016 :  18:18:38  Show Profile
I am so sorry to hear about Ron not being with us anymore. So many times that we have been discussing issues about the SU HV8 that he made for dads TA-Special, and SC manifold and Inlet manifold of the Jackson type that he advised us to build, and so on.
We never met Ron so it was great to find his photo on the first page of this post.
I have done a copy of the photo that I will put on the wall in the workshop. Making me never to forget a good friend that always took his time helping a MG-friend when there was some technical problem that needed to be solved.I am happy that we were able to finish the TA-Special this Spring telling and showing Ron that it was OK and a joy to drive.
Rest in Peace Ron, your Swedish friends will always remember you.

Anders Dahlberg
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000