Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Factory fitted Four Speed gearbox M-types
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2016 :  14:20:04  Show Profile
Does any MG M-type survive with a four speed gearbox known to have been fitted from new?

Or does any gearbox survive known to have been factory fitted to an M-type on the production line?

I seem to recall seeing a black and white picture somewhere of an ENV gearbox said to have come from an M-type with an incongruous but convincing looking fabric coupling.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 17/12/2016 14:22:19

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2016 :  18:24:06  Show Profile
Hi Sam,
Wolseley type 4 speed gearboxes were not available until after M-type production ceased. In 1931MG Car Co.needed a 4 speed box for the C-type and the mock up chassis had a Moss box.... then they went for the ENV...... and to persuade ENV the order had to be big enough so the F-type got them as well. I acquired an ENV box from the late Morgan Marshall (out of his cellar) which he said they had taken out of an M-type... that had a 3 pronged coupling with fabric disc...... these are specific to ENV as the shaft dia/spline size is bigger than a Wolseley box. Hope that helps.
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2016 :  19:29:48  Show Profile
Thanks Foz, that certainly helps. It was perhaps one of your photographs which I recall seeing - could it have been in one of your excellent articles?

This page from a sales brochure shows options for an MG D-type including a £30 four speed gearbox. The chassis picture gives a glimpse of what appears to be an ENV remote gear change.

Today such a high proportion of M-types have four speed Wolseley gearboxes (many installed very long ago) some confusion is understandable.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2016 :  22:25:08  Show Profile
Sam,
picture quality not too good this end but for ENV is right shape and lever pivots at the bottom.... but could be the three speed remote... fabricated type....as the gate does not look wide enough for 3 slots and appears to have a collar at the far end where it would join onto the casting on top of the gearbox/interlock plate.....
Several D-type did get ENV boxes, 750 C-type engines and Powerplus blowers.........
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2016 :  00:05:15  Show Profile
Sorry, it is not a good scan but I hope this is an improvement.

I have been reminded that MG sometimes used photographs which approximated to what they should have been so it is hard to be certain (or is it?) that this really is a D-type chassis.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2016 :  10:43:08  Show Profile
H i Sam,
thanks for better picture... still undecided ! but it is probably/possibly? a 4 speed box as has a Hardy Spicer 6 bolt propshaft.
It is possibly a photo-type( ! ) ..... fitted with a fabricated rear axle as in M and C-types rather than the later Scott Seamless used on most Triple-M cars. The rear chassis cross tube also has the central bracket used to hold in a fuel tank on a C-type....even has the 3 holes required to do that job. Will go and look at my pictures of the Moss box.
FOZ
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000