Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MCC London/Exeter
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

timothy edwards

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2017 :  12:13:08  Show Profile
Does anyone know if there is a store of photographs of the participants and their cars for the December 1932 MCC London Exeter Trial.I have tried all the usual places like the Beaulieu library.Perhaps there is a private collection out there.I have copies of Light Car and Motor for January 1933 which report the trial with photographs and in the latter also sketches by Brian De Grineau, in all of which my Magna is depicted.
The magazine reproductions are not very good, so I was hoping some original photographs might exist somewhere.I will keep my fingers crossed.

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2017 :  16:18:35  Show Profile
I am sure our trials experts must have the information, Colin Butchers is one such expert.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  11:07:56  Show Profile
Timothy. What is the Registration number of your Magna? A number of people keep notes of many M.G.s featured in magazines and might be able to point you in the right direction without much difficulty. Motor Sport Magazine for April 1932 carried a two page feature on the 1932 LE and therefore the Motor Sport archives might be able to help. It follows from that that the Temple Press archives might throw up something, as they also published Light Car. Have you looked in Donald Cowbourne's book on Trials Drivers and Events which provides a great deal of information on cars and drivers on the 1932 LE. Also try the Austin Harris website (LAT Photographic), Klemantaski Collection, Ferret Fotographics, Hulton Press, Picture Post and even The Brooklands Society photographic archives. That is a bit of a long shot, but it does occasionally include some pictures of cars on non Brooklands events.
The main thing is tell us which car you are looking for. The current Register suggests that you have two Magnas. I have just noticed that you are talking about the 1932 Exeter and not the Lands End. However, my comments are equally applicable.

Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 11/02/2017 11:11:37
Go to Top of Page

timothy edwards

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  12:58:05  Show Profile
Colin,
Yes I still have two F Magnas, a saloon and an F2.
The car I am seeking photographs of, is my F2 Magna registration JH3393.There is a rear view of the car in the Motor and Light Car.In the Motor De Grineau has sketched a front view at Virginia Water, being fueled up.
I have looked in the Cowbourne's book as I have a copy.It certainly mentions the car and driver,Leon Maxwell, in several places.He later had an L which I believe is still around.It would be great to be able to make contact with the current owner of the L but I have no other information.
I have tried the LAT archive with no luck.
I will follow up your other suggestions.
Many thanks Colin
Go to Top of Page

Peter Croft

New Zealand
52 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  07:40:51  Show Profile
Timothy,

Don't give up.

From my experience once you have tried all archival sources for photographs and had no luck I suggest you wait a little while and try them again.

It has been my experience on at least two occasions that the 1st enquiry fails to turn anything up but when a new person handles your letter/E mail suddenly photos are found.

Not mentioning any particular archive but.............The same archive also told me that yes they did have a photo of my car but no they could not sell a copy as they did not own the copyright. I mentioned to them the obvious. Why not give the photo to me as clearly it was of no use to them and I would donate it back to them once I had copied it.I was not surprised by the lack of a reply.

Peter and J3096

Go to Top of Page

timothy edwards

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  15:02:26  Show Profile
Thanks Peter I will try and be patient and keep pestering the different archives.There must be pictures somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2017 :  16:46:55  Show Profile
Looking in Cowbourne it says that there are pictures in the Light Car & the Motor, as you will have seen.
As far as I know that Donald Cowbourne did most of his work at Beaulieu, so that is the most likely place. Most of their pictures are on the Motoring Picture Library website.
Which L type did he drive later, please? Was it the MG in the 1934 Brighton Beer trial, as later in 1935 he drove a Frazer Nash BMW!
Cheers, Mike

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

timothy edwards

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2017 :  16:45:26  Show Profile
Mike,I have spent hours in Beaulieu without any luck.
With regard to his L,I really do not know the answer to those questions,
however I seem to recall hearing somewhere that the car was an L2 and that the car was in the register.
Looking at Cowbourne's records he seems to have been more successful with the F.
My recollections probably goes back 30 or 40 years and therefore unreliable.If the car still exists the current owner will know of L.Maxwell,and may respond to an enquiry.
Perhaps a letter in the club magazine?.

Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3102 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2017 :  21:54:28  Show Profile
Timothy, I very much hope the photographs you want turn up.

Have you tried contacting Austin Harris? The site does not quite have what you want on show but they have plenty of London Exeter pictures. What you want probably exists in their files but has not been shared on the site.

http://austinharris.co.uk/search/London%20Exeter%20Trial?page=2

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 20/02/2017 21:55:58
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2017 :  12:51:26  Show Profile
So lifted!
Tim - no big deal. I want to maintain the "seeking information" forum as it is so that at some point I can copy the pictures to an "historical" section for permanent preservation. I have deleted one of your replies so that the thread makes sense (I hope!).

Sam - I have removed/edited your posts also for the same reason.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000