Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Register AGM
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3683 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2017 :  19:02:05  Show Profile
A reminder to all Triple-M oriented MGCC members that we hold our Register's AGM tomorrow at Kimber House, Cemetery Road , Abingdon, Oxfordshire OX14 1AS tomorrow 25th June, starting at 3 pm

All are welcome, so do please overcome your natural reticence and come along to see and question your committee and help us chart the future. The more the merrier!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
(Edited to correct my usual typos)

Edited by - DickMorbey on 24/06/2017 19:02:41

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3246 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2017 :  20:28:12  Show Profile
The Triple-M AGM took place at the M G Car Club Offices, Abingdon this afternoon.

Despite the reminder posted by Dick the only non Committee person to attend the AGM was our esteemed Hon President Mike Allison. This is a very disappointing outcome - it does raise the question do members wish the Register to continue to prosper or not? We have repeatedly asked for volunteers to join the Committee, to bring fresh ideas and replace some long serving members who wish to stand down.

The three officers Dick Morbey, Bob Milton and George Eagle had to stand down. Mike Allison took the Chair and proposed that Dick Morbey and George Eagle be re-elected Chairman and Secretary respectively. Charlie Cartwright had agreed to put his name forward and was elected Treasurer to replace Bob Milton who retired after serving in office since 2009.

Having been re-elected as Chairman Dick Morbey noted that Rich Stott, Mike Linward and Jeremy Hawke had to retire by rotation, all three agreed to stand again and were duly re-elected.

After closing the meeting Dick presented Bob with an original Triple-M cylinder head spanner mounted in a glass fronted case. In doing so Dick thanked Bob for his service and for always presenting the accounts in a very accurate and timely manner. In turn Bob promised to work closely with Charlie during the handover of the accounts.

George Eagle
Secretary

Edited by - George Eagle on 25/06/2017 20:29:37
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6203 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2017 :  21:11:26  Show Profile
For obvious reasons (the Irish Sea) I couldn't make it to either the AGM or the Committee meeting today, but I'm surprised that all the folks who criticise the M.G. Car Club and who think the Register should be an independent club weren't there to make their case. Well, actually, I'm not at all surprised but what does surprise me - really - is how few people are willing to give a bit of their time to help run the Register. Somebody has to do it - it won't run itself - but nobody seems willing to put themselves out to contribute. But people are quick enough to complain or criticise.

'Twas ever thus, I guess.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Tim Sharp

United Kingdom
304 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2017 :  21:24:03  Show Profile
As a very new member of the Register can I be excused a bold comment / suggestion.

To have an AGM on the weekend nearest the summer solstice but not at an event is to invite non attendance. I suspect that many members who would attend an AGM on a damp and cool weekend in spring, autumn or winter were doing something (in my case a family wedding) which would take priority over the AGM of the Register.

Alternately, if the committee feel that the AGM must be in high summer please consider holding it at an event to which members would naturally be drawn. For example many Triple-M members were at MG Live last weekend and the Register had its own tent. Could the AGM not have been held in the tent at an agreed time on one of the two days at Silverstone, in the tent which would have the doors closed for the time needed, or there are meeting rooms in the paddock buildings which could be hired if the tent were not considered formal enough.

My apologies if these comments seem disingenuous but they are given in a positive way.

Regards

Tim

Tim Sharp
PB0685 - Nuneaton
Go to Top of Page

cur10k

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2017 :  23:35:57  Show Profile
May I echo the comments of Tim Sharp with regard to the timing & location of the AGM in particular that consideration should be given to holding it at MG Live when a good number of members from all over the country & beyond are likely to attend. I'm also a member of the V8 register whose AGM has for some years been held over the MG Live weekend.

May I also second the comment of Simon Johnston regarding those who seek to criticise the MG Car Club through this forum particularly when they are not even members! There has been considerable criticism under the heading of 'Chassis File Details' including by one who by his own admission ceased to be a member in 2010 yet still enjoys the privilege of access to and posting on this forum including offering parts for sale. That surely should be available only to paid up Club Members......
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2017 :  23:44:52  Show Profile
Tim,

As a new member you will not know that the Register held its 2015 AGM in a room at MG Live (on the Saturday) in an attempt to get more people to attend. According to the minutes of the meeting only 10 members attended.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2017 :  00:04:14  Show Profile
Bob,

With regards to your last sentence, the Triple-M Committee take the view that the Forum is for the benefit of all Triple-M owners world wide whether they are MGCC members or not. It must be remembered that about 50% of the surviving Triple-M cars are owned by people who do not live in the UK and we know that many of these owners are not MGCC members.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

cur10k

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2017 :  00:48:45  Show Profile
Thanks Peter, I can understand & agree with the Committee view in relation to foreign owners of MMM cars in regard to the Forum etc. They are hopefully likely to be members of a local MGCC club associated to the UK club.

However in the case of UK owners what incentive is there for them to join the MGCC , other than cheaper insurance & a magazine which will not suit many of them as it is not exclusively MMM & includes Chinese MGs, if they have full forum facilities including the opportunity to criticise? From other comments in the 'Chassis File Details' posting it would seem that other UK MMM owners have questioned the benefit of being paid up MGCC members.

Regards, Bob
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
765 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2017 :  17:42:08  Show Profile
What I find strange is that the Vintage Register, the smallest in the club, has only about 35 members, yet their AGM, held at the beginning of March attracts something like 40+ attendees including WAGs. And the other club catering of Vintage M.G.s also has a similar number at their AGM in January. Maybe it is the time of year!

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 26/06/2017 17:43:35
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3683 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2017 :  20:33:20  Show Profile
Maybe it's the exclusive lunch party?

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Brian Watson

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2017 :  21:45:51  Show Profile
Dick,

I understand your disappointment and can see that something is definitely wrong here so here are my thoughts:

1 Tying it to an event is more likely to attract more members: God forbid I would take issue with Peter but 1 v 10 is a 1,000% improvement! From what I've read Pre-War Prescott will have twice as many MMM attendees as Silverstone these days so maybe we chose the wrong venue in 2015. Silverstone doesn't do it for me anymore so I'd never be there anyway. I know we try and be loyal to the MGCC but this event is undeniably diminished for us and I'm unlikely to ever attend again. Sadly, I know I'm not alone in this view but that doesn't mean there isn't another meeting or venue that we could choose.

2 As my good lady regularly reminds me when we have multiple diary clashes: there are only so many precious summer weekends in Great Britain. For some of us, buying time for extra curricular activities involves some very delicate negotiations.....

3 We're not all able to give up our time to serve the Register. I'm really gratified to see lots more younger members joining the Register but their mid-week time and their weekends will be at a premium. For my part, even if I thought I could help, it will be several years before I could offer my time in retirement to help and, if that time comes, I'd prefer to do this kind of thing midweek. Just an idea: I don't know the make-up of the current committee or the membership profile of the Register but it must be worth thinking about.

None of the above diminishes the respect and admiration I have for all of you who give your time so freely to serve us.

Thank you.

Brian
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1062 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2017 :  22:01:40  Show Profile
Perhaps the april triple M race meeting would be a nice date.
30 triple M race cars and owners and several spectators with their triple M.
No clashes with sumer events as weddings and holidays.
Would perhaps even pull more spectators.
International attendance.

And most likely it is the only event I can guarantee attendance ;)

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3252 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2017 :  00:52:12  Show Profile
Oh, that I could serve on the committee! Unfortunately, being stuck somewhere in middle-America, travel expenses somewhat limit my availability.

But leadership and a willingness to step forward is what has served this Register well and will continue to do so. The accomplishments of the Register under the leadership of these volunteers has been amazing. Where would the Register be without people like Dick Morbey, Mark Dolton, Koen Struijk, Digby Gibbs, Simon Johnston, Cat and others?
I remember not too long ago when the Register records were a collection of index cards. Now we are well on the way to an all encompassing modern database.
I remember when many complained of no opportunities to get out and watch a spirited Triple-M race. Now we have full grids and our own races. I still have
newsletters which were no more than a few typewritten pages, but now we have professional quality magazines - Newsletter and Yearbook.
It was volunteers who made these and so much more happen. But their time is precious, so if you value the Register and all it offers, please step forward. If you cannot afford the time, maybe write a few lines for the next newsletter or send it a photograph or two from the next event.

It need not be a major commitment of time, but rather a conscious effort to support in any way you can.

Lew

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
995 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2017 :  09:45:05  Show Profile
I agree with most of what I've read in this thread. Brian's first point regarding Pre-War Prescott sounds good to me. I regularly bring my PA from Scotland to two major events: P-WP and the annual Register Tour. Both these events generally have time between 5pm and 7pm when an AGM could comfortably be held, and both generally attract 50+ Triple-M cars.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

correlejco

United Kingdom
251 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2017 :  12:09:20  Show Profile
I echo the comments made by Brian, Tim and others. We are all very grateful for the effort put in by committee members and other helpers who make the MMM forum such an invaluable and friendly place to get help and information.

With regard to AGM attendance, it does strike me that the majority of committee members live fairly close to Abingdon. More forum contributors might be persuaded to participate if the AGM and other meetings were not focused on Oxfordshire (although it is as central to UK members as anywhere).

When I was in business we had facilities in various parts of England and it was disruptive, time consuming and expensive to hold meetings at the head office in Cambridge. We used video conferencing (using Skype or similar) and achieved 90% ‘attendance’. I would be the first to acknowledge that face-to-face meetings are better than talking to a screen, but it does enable participation by people in far-flung places.

If we were to adopt this, maybe just for the formal meetings, it would enable a more widespread attendance, and could just as easily incorporate Lew, Onno and other worthy members who wish to join in (Lew might have to get out of bed in the middle of the night though!)

John - 1934 NA0492
Go to Top of Page

Terry Hartley

United Kingdom
281 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2017 :  16:06:56  Show Profile
"...Oxfordshire(although it is as central to UK members as anywhere)"
John, have you ever looked at a map of the UK?

I think Colin's suggestion that the AGM could be linked to the Annual Touring Event is a good idea. These events are proving very popular so we are almost guaranteed an attendance of 50+ members. Also, they (hopefully) move around the UK so all members will get the opportunity to attend at some time as opposed to limiting the catchment area to members within striking distance of Abingdon.

I'm not too keen on Onno's suggestion (nothing personal Onno) of Brands as this will take it even further away from the bulk of UK members. MG Live could be a contender again but the general feeling seems to be that it is moving well away from Triple-M interest, it certainly has for me, so unless we 'reclaim' our status at this event I believe Triple-M attendance will gradually fade away (shame).

Terry
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000