Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 M type footbrake bracket
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cooperman

United Kingdom
763 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  15:53:09  Show Profile
Is this bracket a standard attachment for M types, if so has anyone got one they no longer need also the pedal to go with it?

John Cooper M 628

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  19:23:22  Show Profile
John,

Yes, this is a standard M Type item and it is one of the features that generally indicate an original factory chassis. Having said that, I think very early cars may have carried the brake pedal at the end of an extra-long clutch release shaft. (Can anyone confirm?).

I'm afraid I can't help with a spare.

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

Pat Widdup

New Zealand
399 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  20:02:54  Show Profile
If there is a second one around I need one as well.
Cheers pat
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
763 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  07:30:26  Show Profile
Yes on early transmission braked cars, the footbrake pedal was on the end of the clutch shaft thus making it a bit longer and held in place with a washer and split pin, at least that's what the ones I've looked at are like, and the pedal was cranked.
I have changed my braking system as it would appear that my car had had hydraulic brakes fitted, well that's the only explanation I can think of as the cross shaft only had three levers on it, so I assume that these were the one that was attached to the lever and the other two at either end went to the rear brakes, it's difficult to know when everything is in boxes.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3114 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  20:41:21  Show Profile
John and Pat I have contacted you directly and I will be able to assist both of you.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
763 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2017 :  07:14:52  Show Profile
Thanks Sam

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
763 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2017 :  15:45:16  Show Profile
Thanks Sam, arrived safe and sound. Now I am puzzled as my chassis has all the correct holes to take the bracket and my clutch shaft is too short to take the footbrake, and the brake shaft that came with the car only had three levers (one in line with the handbrake and one on either end) and all the bits for a transmission hand brake. So has anyone any idea how the car could have been braked, it came with brackets to guide the rods between the lever and the front brakes and also the brackets on the front back plates for the circular cable to attach to. None of these were fitted just in the boxes of bits.
Suggestions on a post card............. well posting on here would be better.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  10:31:56  Show Profile
The chassis No should give an indication as to the year of manufacture and hence type of braking system employed , not guaranteed, but a start if you can't decide which system to adopt - Rich
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000