Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Rear half shaft
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  18:45:15  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Andrews

Hi Phil and Everyone below,

Finally, to those who contribute to this site if you recommend a course of action please do not just say ôfit a widgetö. But give a full answer e.g.: Fit a widget but check the clearance of the whatsit as it may fowl the ugmayflip! Otherwise a series of responses quickly follow and sometimes causes more confusion.

Sorry for the long tomeàà regardsà. Terry A

Terry

Sometimes a series of responses is the appropriate result because you experts do not always agree and very occasionally you disagree very strongly. You try asking what the appropriate solution is for a worn kingpin. On the other hand please don't, I have been through that debate already and you experts will never agree.

And lets face it, one of the purposes of this forum is to promote debate.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

phil

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  08:04:47  Show Profile
I am so glad i found this site. It does make me smile in the morning. Thanks terry. Every bit of input helps me build a better picture of what I am up against. I come from a family of mechanics (but chose electronics as a trade). My only previous experience of engines is from amature racing of 2stroke m/bikes.
Plus the fact that I am not 40 yet means BSF and imperial are of course as alien to me as shillings and farthings!
Although not a car related answer, just to set the scene, I am a youngish MG owner who is going to be needing the help of this site quite a bit.
A million thanks for everyones input to everyones questions. And thanks again in advance to all for the future.
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  09:57:36  Show Profile
Hi
To Peter,

I have only recently started to contribute to this site as I have been concerned about some confusion and some miss information that abounds. If it is on the website it does not mean that it is fact. A case in point was over dynamos et al. I do not profess to be an expert but I try and help others if I can from my personal experience. I am all for constructive debate but in some cases the answers given only give half of the story. For the questioner to make informed decisions on how to proceed they need as much information as possible pros & cons etc àhence my plea at the end of my previous responseà..regards Terry

(BTWàDefinition of Expert: Ex = has been, spert = drip under pressure.)

To Phil,

The classic car movement needs to encourage people like you to carry restoring and enjoying these cars from another era. As we fall of our perches we need younger enthusiasts to carry on enjoying Triple-M cars and not other newer makes and marks which may be easer to maintain. By the way, I have a telecoms background but with a practical apprenticeship. The only engines I worked on were racing model FIA aeroplanes and maintaining an early mini when an apprentice. I was 30 when I bought my P type to restore and my father was a fabulous machinist but sadly died before he could teach me to use machine tools etc. My son has just bought me a small Myford which I have to teach myself to use. But you can do it without any of this. I built my P type in a 7ft 6in wide garage with only a vice and hand tools and had to do most jobs on the drive and role the car back at the end of each task. Please please do not be discouraged. A P type is a fabulous little car, when drive it right you know you are on song but if you are having an off day it will let you know! So if you need to talk over what you are doing you know how to contact people off line.

Keep your rockers rockingàregardsà Terry A
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000