Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Laystall Crank with a short throw ?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  19:23:55  Show Profile
In the course of building up my M-type engine using a Laystall crank it has become apparent that the throw is about 3 ml shorter than a normal crankshaft. This Laystall crank was apparently used in a supercharged J2 long ago (so long ago that the supercharger is sectioned and on display somewhere in Wales). I imagine there was a good reason for reducing the throw.

Presumably a standard compression ratio can be restored by skimming the head but how far is it possible to go with this ? Has anyone experienced this problem ? Is there a practical alternative solution ?

Sam

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  09:16:07  Show Profile
The decision is made to skim the head and do the necessary modifications to the vertical drive. Why the stroke is different is still unknown.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  20:56:51  Show Profile
Hi Sam,

Can you not find some higher pistons?

Regards
Ian
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  23:42:00  Show Profile
Are higher pistons available ? It sounds a very practical way to control compression.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2007 :  23:21:57  Show Profile
Sam

Email me direct as I can assist on the pistons with a higher crown. Recently had a similar request to have some pistons machined up for a VSCC trials Morris Minor and he wanted the compression ratio at 9.1 to 1!!!! Goes well enough!

Drop me an email sam as I can have whatever crown height and profile you wish.

Regards

Rich H
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000