Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Autocar Magazine Morris Midget Article
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  16:35:46  Show Profile
I am very keen to study a copy of the article which appeared in The Autocar Magazine on 14th September 1928 which describes the "Morris Midget." Would anyone mind letting me have a photocopy or sending a scan by email ? I have been trying to gather any contemporary information I can on the M-type.

Sam

Ian Grace

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  21:21:39  Show Profile
Sam,

I should have a copy for you shortly.
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  19:00:24  Show Profile
Sam,

Here it is:

http://www.vintageminor.co.uk/Forumpix/Autocar%20Morris%20Midget.JPG

Note that the car has a standard Morris Minor front valence.

Edited by - Ian Grace on 11/07/2007 19:01:04
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  08:47:59  Show Profile
Sam / Ian,

You have solved a problem. A Morris Midget was recently advertised in one of the classic car magazines. I thought someone had simply fitted a M Type body to a Minor chassis. It appears this is not so - the Morris Midget is a car in its own right.

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  10:04:37  Show Profile
Ian,

Thanks for making the article available.The 'journalese' is typical of the period - describing for example the boot as having "quite a quantity" of luggage space rather than more accurately "almost no luggage space at all".

I assume that the journalist can be credited with the idea of calling the car a "Morris Midget" while it is clear that it has an MG radiator. Is there any other source to suggest the M-type was ever marketed as a "Morris Midget" ?

I suspect that the car shown is a preproduction prototype. Is there any evidence that the M-type was ever sold with an upswept scuttle?

I wonder if a photograph exists of the interior of the "driving cockpit" to show the dash layout for example ?

Presumably a small batch of these bodies was made - I wonder what became of them ? I suspect the upswept scuttle must have looked rather old fashioned by this stage and added to the complexity of making the body. I cannot help noticing how similar the early body is to the type fitted to the Le Mans cars. Is there any evidence other than the uncanny resemblance to say if the Le Mans bodies were a 'using up' of existing bodies or a special order ?

By the way on the subject of how the dash of the "Morris Midget" looked has anyone seen an original photograph of the dash of a Le Mans M-type ?

Again, many thanks Ian for the chance to see this interesting article.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 12/07/2007 19:18:27
Go to Top of Page

ronnew

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2007 :  16:30:00  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sam christie

Ian,

Thanks for making the article available.The 'journalese' is typical of the period - describing for example the boot as having "quite a quantity" of luggage space rather than more accurately "almost no luggage space at all".

I assume that the journalist can be credited with the idea of calling the car a "Morris Midget" while it is clear that it has an MG radiator. Is there any other source to suggest the M-type was ever marketed as a "Morris Midget" ?

I suspect that the car shown is a preproduction prototype. Is there any evidence that the M-type was ever sold with an upswept scuttle?

I wonder if a photograph exists of the interior of the "driving cockpit" to show the dash layout for example ?

Presumably a small batch of these bodies was made - I wonder what became of them ? I suspect the upswept scuttle must have looked rather old fashioned by this stage and added to the complexity of making the body. I cannot help noticing how similar the early body is to the type fitted to the Le Mans cars. Is there any evidence other than the uncanny resemblance to say if the Le Mans bodies were a 'using up' of existing bodies or a special order ?

By the way on the subject of how the dash of the "Morris Midget" looked has anyone seen an original photograph of the dash of a Le Mans M-type ?

Again, many thanks Ian for the chance to see this interesting article.

Sam

Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2007 :  18:23:21  Show Profile
RONNEW/Ron writes in response -

Sam,
I have an article
from Motor Sport June 1976 at which time the Samuelson team car RX6796
was owned by Lewin Spittle.It would appear that the Le Mans car has a
12/12 body with raised scuttle.It would also have had an extra timber
member for the spare wheel and boot modification for the petrol tank
hole.There are small b&w photos where the dash looks standard with Rotax
panel and extra gauges to the right.There is an additional narrow board
above this along the line of the aluminium capping. There is also a
photo from 1930 with samuelson at the wheel.Evidently Spittle obtained
copies of the original drawings from Abingdon to rebuild the body - where
are these now?If you would like acopy of the article let me know your
address.Perhaps you copuld post this on the register for me.
Ron

Ron
Many thanks Ron for your very helpful reply.

Sam
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000