Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Flywheel woes
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

donkeydrop

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  21:46:06  Show Profile
Has anyone got any tips on how to remove the flywheel flange from a PA crankshaft. I have heaved with a 3 legged puller as much as I dare to no avail. Blower talks about pulling the flywheel off with its flange still attached. I can see how that would distribute the load over the flange but I cannot see how grab the flywheel to pull.

John
PA0909

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  08:32:14  Show Profile
I have recently done this and it was a heck of a job! I took the flywheel off as I couldn't get a suitable puller, and used one on the flange - a bit risky but it survived ok. Even when I had tightened the puller up as much as I dare, it stayed put, so I resorted to intermittently heating the flange and letting it cool - all this over a period of weeks, but then I am not known for rapid results! When it came off it went several feet, so don't stand in front of it!

Good luck

Graham
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  20:14:52  Show Profile
I use a puller as described by Paul but the threaded bolt should NOT push against the thread on the end of the crankshaft. I have turned up a sleeve to fit over the thread on the end of the crankshaft which is slightly longer than the crankshaft thread. The puller bolt pushes against this sleeve so not damaging the crankshaft thread.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  21:33:55  Show Profile
Try your local tool hire shop - they will probably have a reaaly powerful puller.

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  23:33:39  Show Profile
Please do not use a three or four leg puller from your local tool hire shop as they are likely to bend the flange. The Puller described by Paul is the only safe way to pull the flange off the crankshaft as it bolts onto the flange and uses all the flange bolts. These pullers can be obtained from Mike Dowley at Sports and Vintage.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  08:49:01  Show Profile
Just a thought, such tools as mentioned in this thread get used once and put away, probebly never to be used again, unless you are an habitual triple M restorer, or you keep blowing up your engine. My point! Would it not be possible for the register to hold some of the special tools needed for engine rebuilds etc, to loan to register members for say the cost of delivery plus a small donation?

As I say just a thought.
Rodney
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  09:18:16  Show Profile
Checking Mike Dowley's catalogue he does, as Peter states, sell the puller and as Pauls states they are about ú100. However it also shows that, Mike hires them out.

Peter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000