Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M-Type Wheel Dimensions
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John Haine

United Kingdom
208 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2007 :  16:07:30  Show Profile
I am having a new late type M-Type wheel made up using an original hub. However I am not sure how to specify the offset between the hub face and the rim. I have measured five other M-Type wheels, none of which have been rebuilt in many years, possibly never. The offset varies between 5mm and 17mm with three of them measuring 14mm. Can anyone please advise how the offset should be specified and what the measurement should be?

John

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2007 :  19:04:08  Show Profile
John,

I don't know who is repairing your wheel but I have just had the very same job done by Tony Margel in Leeds. I simply cannot over stress the quality of his work - my wheel is superb - new spokes and rim fitted to my centre for ú80!

Jan t
Go to Top of Page

John Haine

United Kingdom
208 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2007 :  20:16:45  Show Profile
Jan, I fully agree with your comments on Tony's work but are you able to answer my query about the correct offset? John
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2007 :  22:08:01  Show Profile
John,

All of my wheels are at the powder coaters ready to be picked up on Friday. Assuming he has completed them I will measure the off sets over the weekend providing you can explain where you want the measurement to the taken.

Cheers

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

John Haine

United Kingdom
208 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2007 :  08:16:23  Show Profile
Jan,

Thank you for your offer. I put a straight edge across the rim on the inside of the wheel and measured down to the inside face of the hub.

John
Go to Top of Page

mike armstrong

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2007 :  00:28:45  Show Profile
Jan
Please will you post your result on this forum?
Thanks
Mike
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2007 :  09:43:35  Show Profile
I've just measured several recently respoked wheels and 1/2 inch seems to be about the norm.Regards Rich
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2007 :  19:59:53  Show Profile
I concur with Rich - all 1/2".

The powder coating is superb!

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

John Haine

United Kingdom
208 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2007 :  23:13:14  Show Profile
Thank you both for checking. I shall have my wheel set at 1/2 inch

John
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
655 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2007 :  12:03:40  Show Profile
For what it's worth, my wheels have an assorted offset between 1/4 and 3/8", and have been OK for some 30 years. Non of the above answers the question of what was the original offset. Measuring old original unrestored wheels [ and how can you be sure that they were not re-spoked 40-50-60 years ago.] is not a guarantee of original offset - as these wheels probably have slack spokes - which will affect the offset that you measure
What we really need is some original documented measurement.
Also, identical wheels from a Morris could have a different offset, and what about wheels from Morris vans and so on.
Another question to be asked is - do small centre hubbed wheels have the same offset ??

Thanks for the plug Jan

Tony Margel
Go to Top of Page

Mike

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2007 :  12:36:37  Show Profile
Lets get to the "hub" of the matter, does it really make any differance? For all we know the wheels may have been sourced from various Dunlop sub contractors. Each wheel builder may differ slightly on build up etc etc.

On the more modern wire wheel the 1960/70 MG Midget wheels are now made in India under licence from Dunlop. I had by chance an original new UK Dunlop build and compared with the Indian wheel was not as well made. No wavy rim edge, better rim welding and looking through a batch of new wheels the offset was constant.

From your M type "spokesman"

M ELLIS
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000