Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Relieving con-rods
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2007 :  17:10:31  Show Profile
I am in the process of replacing a con rod, and in showing the bits to another old car man, he commented that with white metal bearings he always put a chamfer across the edges of the big end bearing where the cap meets the rod, leaving a bit at each end un-chamfered. The logic is that this picks up oil as it passes the oil hole on the journal and helps distribution. I have not come across this before but it has since been repeated by another friend... any comments?

It could, of course, be that they are Riley men and just want to settle old scores, but I don't think so!

cheers

Graham

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2007 :  18:45:45  Show Profile
Graham

We use to chamfer the white metal rod bearings on the early Austin 7 engines that had the two bearing bent wire crank as the crank use to whip on high revs and run the bearings then they produced a more ridged three bearing engine and broke the crank more often, this had nothing to do with oil distribution but this may apply to the M type and J2's ( two bearing engines ).

Fred
Go to Top of Page

g waiting

United Kingdom
730 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2007 :  10:58:20  Show Profile
In my copy of "The modern motor engineer" published in 1927 , these grooves are described as for "the collection of sedimentary deposits from the oil." This is probably not essential with modern oil and filtrarion.
Garry
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2007 :  16:31:17  Show Profile
Thanks Gents - I have not seen it mentioned in any Triple-M literature, and the second hand rods I have acquired seem to lack this mod, so I guess its not necessary.

Gary, "the collection of sedimentary deposits from the oil." is similar to the slightly briefer and more anglo saxon description I was given...

cheers

Graham
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000