Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M type ash frame
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

sam christie

United Kingdom
3115 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  10:24:19  Show Profile

The top drawing is a little less inaccurate than the "1928-32" drawing but neither is really reliable. The "1928-32" drawing fails what some know as the "Orstin Test" by getting the tail wrong.

Notice the headlamp supports on the top drawing? I see it is also left hand drive.

Is it really possible to make an accurate drawing of the ash frame without working directly from an original and original parts?

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 01/03/2018 10:27:12
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
380 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  14:27:16  Show Profile
I think that's why Gary Waiting's excellent offer is the best way forward.

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
437 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  00:37:05  Show Profile
It will be a long process to get it right, and cover each model of the body, but why not.
I am being assisted by a couple of "M-Type Body Builders", so I am confident our final drawing will be worthwhile.
Progress drawings will be posted here from time to time for comment & advice.

We are here for a good time, not a long time !.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2570 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  11:06:46  Show Profile
I didn't go to Stoneleigh so wasn't aware till opening SF this morning, of the barn find M on display.

This car looks, from the small photo, to be very original but maybe those who went know otherwise?

If indeed it is, and the owner can be persuaded, with modern 3D scanning it should presumably be possible to establish an absolutely original outer form and thus the outer faces of all timbers. Traditional measurement of those timbers should then be able to determine their other dimensions, or maybe even they could be scanned?

Perhaps I'm looking through rose coloured spectacles but from my perspective as one who knows of these techniques, but not much about them, it all looks possible.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3682 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  12:28:53  Show Profile
Dave, the owners are Andy and Angie King!

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2570 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  12:57:58  Show Profile
I guess they'd be willing then? I suppose cost might well be an issue.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  16:06:15  Show Profile
It is possible to scan both a car and the parts.
Angie and Andy would be OK for the car, MV 12, to be scanned at a time and date to be arranged.
There are various companies that would scan the car, but I do not know enough about 3D scanning to be able to say that it would do the job required.
Obviously it would be good to have an exact copy of the outside of the body, and then if other original bodies were scanned, they could be compared.
However, I am not sure that I am off in the "realms of fiction", but after seeing a programme on 3D printed car bodies, I wonder!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1059 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  19:05:41  Show Profile
You can scan the car, this is done by taking a lot of digital(usuasly laser based) measurments.
This gives you a “point cloud” of all measured points.
Distiling this in to a usable model with sheets or solids (from which you can make sections and other parts) is a lot of work as you want a clean smooth sheet and not all the little variations that the body has (riped fabric etc)
So after a lot of time you end up with a solid or shell model the shape of an M type with all wings, wheels etc.

A nice but costly and time consuming job, if searching for these services look around in the yacht business.
It is used there for refits etc and some one might be willing to do the job for fun

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2570 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  19:37:40  Show Profile
Did anyone see the August 2017 issue of The Automobile? There was an article about the resurrection of the only remaining 1914 GP Delage which had suffered a crack in a combustion chamber of its fixed head engine.

They 3D scanned the block and used the resulting files to 3D print the sand moulds to cast a new block. Of course with such a car money is probably not of too much consequence, although they decided on this course as being cheaper than the alternatives.

Dave

Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
437 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  20:49:37  Show Profile
I am offering my drawings at no cost to the MMM-Register - just saying ?.

I have no agenda here - my M-Type has (and always will have) an Australian built body.

As a retired draftsman, I just thought I could give something back.

Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2570 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  22:02:26  Show Profile
Tony, I hope in no way you think I am seeking to denigrate your efforts; nothing could be further from the truth. I merely offered my thoughts in the hope that they may prove helpful and if in any way I have offended you please accept my heartfelt apologies.

Very best wishes,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  22:28:17  Show Profile
Dave

I have been following this thread with great interest as I suspect I will end up with an M when too old for the Fs & J! Proper drawings will be immensely helpful.

KUTGW!

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
437 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2018 :  02:47:03  Show Profile
No offence taken, this is an open forum and we are all adults.

No one will ever be forced to use the drawings being discussed, and they will be clearly dated and sources noted, so there is no confusion for the next 90 years.

I also have no intention to put any current M-Type Body Builders out of a job - just capture their expertise for posterity.

Edited by - PreWarMG on 03/03/2018 02:47:58
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2018 :  09:56:24  Show Profile
With respect to Gary's posting,in this day and age of "super" technology is there any way of just "photographing" Gary's original pieces and coming up with a detailed dimensioned drawing of the item?I hope you get my drift! - Rich
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1474 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2018 :  16:32:34  Show Profile
Some parts are really difficult to measure, with the A posts and boot lid sides probably top of the list. They were clearly machine made from a master copy and it's quite likely that original drawings never existed in the way we might expect. Most likely patterns were made which could be cast in metal and used in pantograph type machine. Although it's been said that there was some margin of error I have found pieces to be astonishingly identical and even a small discrepancy can throw everything out. Certainly a library of drawings of measured pieces would save an awful lot of trouble.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000