Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M type ash frame
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

PreWarMG

Australia
437 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2018 :  05:19:05  Show Profile
I must confess I spent way too much time drawing up the wire wheels - but I did enjoy it !.

We are here for a good time, not a long time !.
Go to Top of Page

g waiting

United Kingdom
730 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2018 :  09:36:29  Show Profile
Hi Tony,
Specifically what do you need to know?
I have a complete body off the car so easily measured, and a kit of original timber for detail. Let me have a sketch showing thedimensions you want and I will respond.
Better done off forum I think, till you are ready to go public.
Regards,
Garry
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2018 :  10:03:54  Show Profile
And I have to say that do beware of the Barrie Dean drawings as I mentioned on page 2 of this thread. I can't comment on anything else in particular but the construction of the tail is totally wrong. As you have said, some of his measurements don't work out when plotted in CAD. Perhaps best used as a 'schematic'....

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3115 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2018 :  11:26:32  Show Profile
The drawing below has been around for many years and has a number of mistakes but has anyone checked it out for the accuracy of the body proportions and shape? It purports to be a tracing of a of an MG drawing from 1930.

What a pity it is not a Carbodies drawing.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
437 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2018 :  11:42:30  Show Profile
I have a copy of that too Sam, and it looks professional, but unsure about distortion by the camera. It just looks too short in the wheelbase ?.

I do have another drawing - I'll post it in a minute.

I will contact you off line Garry.

Cheers

Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
437 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2018 :  11:46:13  Show Profile
Does anyone know the source of this drawing ?.

I could use a decent copy.

Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3115 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2018 :  13:04:52  Show Profile
I have copy of that drawing too and I believe it is 'modern' and inaccurate although some details may be roughly correct. The straight doors (in plan view) show its amateur origins and would look awful.

It is not dated or signed but the use of the MG logo gives it a false air of being genuine. I don't think the Carbodies plate was ever fitted to an M-type by Carbodies but was introduced on later models. It is now often retro fitted because S&V do a fine reproduction for the later cars.

The little sketch of the 'Double Twelve' has been copied (badly) from page two of the 'M' Type Profile Publication.

Copies of this plan have been sold on eBay as 'Factory' drawings.

Does anyone know who did this drawing?

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 28/02/2018 13:06:23
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
437 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2018 :  20:53:11  Show Profile
Thanks Sam, I had suspected as much and I agree about the straight doors being wrong.

I will start again today with the "1930 Tracing" - any obvious errors on that drawing ?.

Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
437 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2018 :  21:16:36  Show Profile
Is everyone happy to leave the discussion here, or should we start a new topic on the Technical Forum, where I will post the progress drawings for comment ?.

Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
437 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2018 :  21:44:28  Show Profile
Is this drawing of any reference value ?.

Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
437 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2018 :  21:52:02  Show Profile
What about this drawing ?.

Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
437 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2018 :  22:32:05  Show Profile
The first datum line we need to establish is the front face of the firewall - is this vertical (90 degrees to the ground) when viewed from the side ?.

Is the top surface of the floor-ply horizontal (parallel to the ground) when viewed from the side ?.

Thanks in advance.

Go to Top of Page

Eric Taylor

France
157 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2018 :  23:25:47  Show Profile
By gum, this thread is starting to sound like the Diet of Worms. I can remember Barrie Dean’s little blue M type from the seventies and what a beautiful little car it was!
If you are reading this Barrie, kind regards, Eric Taylor.
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  07:52:14  Show Profile
In the two previous drawings the windscreen profiles are different as are the curvature/non-curvature of the boot lid. There may be other differences such as the bottom and end of the tail.

Edited by - kimber on 01/03/2018 07:55:27
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
713 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  10:15:57  Show Profile
Tony,
You asked if there were any obvious errors on the 1930 drawing. I think the hood frame looks wrong. I have a hood frame but have never had a hood and it seems more logical with my frame to put the hinged section forward not back. Perhaps those who have hoods can comment. My comments refer to the long boot lid version with the collapsible frame.
I also think that the droop of the tail seems to finish lower than many of the period photos and certainly lower than on my Ash Frames International replica body. The droop is however similar to that on John Haine's car which he believes still wears its original body. I have come to the conclusion that Carbodies may have changed some elements during its production on the evidence of period photos which may not be helpful for your project!!
Keith
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000