Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MSA Licence and colour vision rules 2018
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2017 :  08:46:25  Show Profile
Certain posts on the forum recently have made me see red...... which does remind me that I should let the MMM racers know about a subtle but important change to the 2018 Licence medical requirements.

About 10% of the male population has a deficit in the ability to distinguish between red and green. This is of importance in racing as the track signals utilise red and green as well as other colours. At the time of the medical we test for this colour vision deficit using the Ishihara test. ( book of colour dot numbers ) For those who are unable to pick out the numbers we then move on to test the ability to recognise the colours of a set of flags.

Many Circuits are now moving to using lights instead of, or in addition to, the flags. This has caused some problems so there is now a requirement to recognise the colours of the lights as well as the flags. I am using a light box in the clinic to do this but this test may not be universally available yet. The other option is to attend an ARDS centre at a circuit for a light test.

I must emphasise that this only affects those drivers who have difficulty with the colour plate test and only those circuit racing. Not sprints and hillclimbs.

If you fall into this group of racers then please feel free to contact me via my personal mail if you need further help sorting this out.

Mark

Dr Mark Green

Mark

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2017 :  09:20:00  Show Profile
And as far as I am aware the waved yellow flag ( or flashing yellow light ) still means no overtaking and not an indication to drive as fast as possible to catch the car in front.................
Go to Top of Page

Hamish McNinch

United Kingdom
110 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2017 :  09:51:42  Show Profile
Really??? Is that a recent rule change? #129322;
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2017 :  09:52:57  Show Profile
I'm relieved to hear this does not apply to sprints and hillclimbs. I'm well familiar with Ishihara's pretty coloured blobs, and certainly don't believe they contain numbers - it's all a con, like the Emperor's New Clothes .

Although I can't see anything in the above test, I can easily distinguish between red and green flags, and between red & green traffic lights. I also know when to drop the clutch on the start line.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2017 :  10:23:44  Show Profile
This is interesting as colour blindness was an issue in my erstwhile employment.

A colleague told me in the mid '80s that there were levels of red/green colour blindness ranging from a difficulty in distinguishing to a total inability. Not really surprising. He then mentioned a newer test which would allow some through the door who would previously have been excluded. In this test a number of little blocks were used varying in colour from brilliant red via steadily more washed out pinks and a white brick up to the obvious green equivalents. These were placed in an obvious manner on a little rack to show what was required before being scattered over the table and, depending on the gap in the middle of the candidate's effort that he/she could not resolve, they passed or failed.

There was a possibly apocryphal tale of an identical twin during the war who was desperate to go aircrew but, unlike his twin, was colour blind. Well you can guess what happened, and all was well until returning from a raid with damage, they were unsure if they had a full set of wheels. The tower fired a red and you can guess what then ensued. The outcome was that, recognising his courage & determination and taking his record into account, he was permitted to continue flying provided he never again pronounced on red and green.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2017 :  10:48:36  Show Profile
Hi Mark et al,
from my experience it is not the red/green identification.... but blue.... especially when waved !
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

Mark

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2017 :  11:41:01  Show Profile
The comments above are quite correct. There are varying degrees of colour blindness. There are a myriad of tests for colour vision. The blocks of different shades is known as the Farnsworth D15 for what it is worth. Like Ishihara it only gives indication of colour blindness. The FIA quote this as a test that can be used but it still does not tell us if the individual can recognise circuit lights hence we have adopted a real situational test the " circuit light box test "

Most drivers who are unable to recognise the colours on Ishihara are able to recognise flags. That is of course if they can see the flag or light in the first place........But that is another story !!!

Red mist has a marked effect on drivers visual acuity.....or was that green mist..?
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2017 :  14:36:05  Show Profile
Many years ago I worked in an office where we had to check drawings submitted for building regs. my superior was unable to distinguish between red (foul sewers) and blue (surface water sewers) is this a common deficiency, as it could cause confusion between stopping and watching for overtaking cars?

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 10/12/2017 14:36:45
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2017 :  14:55:18  Show Profile
Mark,
just play "Misty" for me..........though looking out of the window... "Let it snow...." is more appropriate.
Circuit light signals.... are they all on the same wavelength? sorry bad phrasing... is each colour same wavelength at each circuit.... same manufacturer or do we get Ulster and Dublin green pendant upon Phoenix Park or the Ards...?
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

paul55

Luxembourg
731 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2017 :  18:36:54  Show Profile
Play Misty for me..if you want a laugh try to find the Count Arthur Strong radio show, Play Misty for me episode..well I think its funny anyway!
Paul.
Go to Top of Page

Mark

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2017 :  20:39:46  Show Profile
Thanks for the comments. If you are going stir crazy and confined to indoors with all the snow then a visit to the FIA appendix H will give you the technical spec for the lights. Tungsten Filament versus LED etc etc. Guaranteed to cure insomnia.

On a slightly different note...The World Anti doping authority ( WADA ) have removed alcohol from the banned drugs list from 1st Jan 2018.....

Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2017 :  09:48:10  Show Profile
If anyone with normal colour vision would like to see what I see (I have deuteranopia), go to this Vision Simulator: http://www.webexhibits.org/causesofcolor/2.html, and click the "M-cone absent" button. I suggest selecting the tray of fruit from the images at the top. Once the picture loads, you can switch between normal and colour blind vision. For me, using the M-cone absent simulator, the two pictures look identical. Sadly, they do not have a simulator to let me know what you "normals" see .

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000