Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG Parts/Service Suppliers of the Past
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

V L LAWS

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  00:16:27  Show Profile
When I bought my NA in 68 I purchased Items from A E Witham 218-224 Hersham Rd, Walton on Thames, Surrey, Tel. Walton 24846 & 26615. Toulmin Motors, 181, London RD, Isleworth, Middlesex, Tel. 01560 1722 & 01560 2228. Archway Engineering, Collier St. Liverpool Rd. Manchester 3 Tel. 061-834 6455. Thompsons, 106, Kingston Rd. Wimbledon, London, SW19 Tel. Liberty 849?

VAUGHN LAWS
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  07:52:27  Show Profile
The awful thing is the number of cars that were scrapped in those days, started by the introduction of the MOT. There is a chap in New Zealand called Irving Black who brought up cars mostly 18/80's, dismantled them and shipped them back to NZ. He had a row with Wilson McComb who accused him of depleting the stock of spares, Irving argued that he was saving cars for the future. Which I suppose is true, he still has several 18/80's in bits including my old car SC 5297. In fact three of those cars are now being rebuilt after nearly 50 years, one is an almost complete Tigress, but lacks the correct chassis, another is our own Kevin Atkinson and the third is a car owned by a chap called Chris Wheeler. Thus it would seem that Irving was right he has saved cars, which would otherwise have been stripped for spares and then scrapped.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  09:13:29  Show Profile
Hi All
Wonderful memories of what used to be and how we all managed our old cars on a shoe string and of how informal visiting the garages and workshops used to be.

Dick Jacobs garage was called Mill Garage at South Woodford and unfortunately was swallowed up by the M11 and A406 interchange, Cooperman's memory of the good natured Dick Jacobs rings true, I rang the garage and asked if I could bring my MG TD into the garage as I could not undo the rear hub nuts and was renewing rear brake shoes, Dick organised an apprentice with the correct size spanner and told me about Torque etc. "no charge", I always purchased spares and petrol from Mill Garage.

Happy Days

Russ

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  10:18:38  Show Profile
What a response to the topic and so many memories!

I used to obtain the spares for my first PA from S H Richardson & Sons, their yard was stuffed full of MGs in various states of repair - I wonder if the KN saloon in the attached picture has survived and if so in what form! The picture was sent to me from I think a Swedish member, unfortunately I did not record the name. Apologies to him and I hope he did not mind me using the picture.

I note Vaughan who has owned his NA since 1968 has made his first posting - welcome to the Forum the source of so much information on our ohc cars.

George
Secretary

Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  10:58:40  Show Profile
Thanks George.
What a crying shame to see the KN in such a forlorn condition.

Such a contrast, to the extent that if available today a large number of people would be fighting to buy it!

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6136 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  11:06:46  Show Profile
Running a TC in London in my student days in the late 60s I recall going to Bill Thompson to get a new master cylinder and when I got there he was having a discussion with some other customers about a PA Airline for sale. As I recall, it was for sale at Richardson's - perhaps the chaps who were discussing it with him are members here? This would have been in the summer of 1969. Toulmin's was my other source of bits in those far off days although my recollection is that not much was ever needed. The car just kept going. There was also a shop across the road from the Angel Tube Station that sold electrical bits and pieces - I got a regulator there for, I think, 17/6d!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  11:24:29  Show Profile
Interested to note the old Ford 400E lurking in the background - unmistakable with its "speed whiskers". Quite collectable these days. In fact, I have one of these tucked away in one of my garages at the present time. Just waiting for the price to hit five figures, when I will put it up for sale.

One of my favourite haunts in the old days was Archie Hazell's breakers yard situated in one of the arches of the old Kemp Town railway viaduct in Lewes Road, Brighton. Got some good stuff there. Used 400x19" tyres with at least one millimetre of tread remaining, for two and a half quid each. A nice little Marschal spot lamp for my M Type for "free arf crahns" which is 37 and a half pence in current money, and a splendid little Bosch windscreen wiper motor for the PA - smaller than the Lucas and much more powerful - all for ten bob.

Better sign off now before Nick locks this thread as being too boring for the latest crop of "snowflake" readers.

Colin B. (one of the "old farts" clique.)
Go to Top of Page

MIKEB

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  12:04:52  Show Profile
I seem to recall a couple of garages stuffed with dismantled spares in Elnathan Mews, London W9, near Little Venice. This would have been in about 1960. I see from the web that the average house in that mews is now priced at £1.6m. Can anyone fill in the gaps in my fading memory please?
Mike
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  12:16:38  Show Profile
Colin
Very little chance, I enjoy reading this topic it reminds me of those far off days when I was putting together my first MG, a PB with a F@rd engine and back axle. I used to visit Toulmin's yard and go scrambling over dozens of chassis buried in the long grass looking for parts. Wouldn't be allowed now as there were all sorts of unmarked hazards and even the risk of getting scratched by all those nasty hidden bits of rusty metal! I remember seeing several fairly complete saloon MGs and a J4 for sale for 400 quid I seem to remember - way beyond my budget as a student.
Nick
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6136 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  12:27:03  Show Profile
Oliver Richardson has shared with me some receipts for bits and pieces, and work done, for the TC that his father bought in February 1963 and which Oliver still has. To get a sense of price changes in the last almost fifty years the Retail Price Index has increased by 1,450%, so multiply the prices by 14.5 to get an idea of current equivalents.

Edited by Nick at Oliver's request to change "mid 60s" to "February 1963"

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  21:27:31  Show Profile
My pathetic broadband will not handle a copy of the Thomson's catalogue so I'll have to resort to snail mail, which committee member should I send it to?

Maurice.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  21:39:55  Show Profile
Hello Maurice,

That's a really nice suggestion - thank you. Probably our librarian Rich Stott. His contact details are available via the front page of this website.

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

V L LAWS

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  23:08:23  Show Profile
Thanks George. I might also add that I took the NA 0646 off the road in '69, a decision but not the reason, that I did, which has probably allowed me to live this long. A long story. You may ask how can it take 48+ years to restore a car. Well I am not one of the fortunate well heeled majority and have restored as funds and commitment have allowed. I am quite proud of the restoration I have achieved along with input from some exceptional people.I look forward to meeting up with some of our M.M.M. friends in the coming years. Vaughn.

VAUGHN LAWS
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
671 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2017 :  23:13:26  Show Profile
Does anyone remember a Bill Merrilees of Streatham? Apparantly he used to have a couple of lockups full of spares in the 40s-early 60s. My 18/80 passed through his hands. I think most of his stuff was 18/80 or 18/100 but was meant to have had other MGs too
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2017 :  00:21:08  Show Profile
Dick.

I wonder if, with Maurice’s permission, you could show Thompson’s list on the Forum ? I’m sure I am not the only one who would love to see it.’

Would it be feasible for a collection of period, similar items to be eventually reproduced in some sort of Booklet form to be made available for sale before all this material is lost ?

Chris.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000