Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG Parts/Service Suppliers of the Past
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2018 :  22:35:38  Show Profile
Amongst a box of MG parts not investigated for many years I found a circular badge from H.A.SAUNDERS Ltd. 836. HIGH Rd LONDON N.12.
Could these be the original suppliers of the car? It was first registered in London BYL 345.

Maurice.

Edited by - Cymber on 09/02/2018 22:37:26
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
671 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2018 :  22:51:06  Show Profile
Unlikely I'd have thought if they were a major Austin dealer in 1936. It may have passed through their hands later of course

http://www.friern-barnet.com/picture/number2913.asp

The Friern Barnet Photo Archive

No: 2913 Contributor: David Berguer Year: 1955 District: North Finchley
H A Saunders

"Know Your Finchley 1955"
Picture added on 01 September 2011 at 17:29
Comments:
Saunders set up a business in the former Puget chapel in Totteridge Lane in 1919, selling reconditioned army lorries. He and his fanily lived in the old manse. He was very successful and became the largest Austin dealer in London by 1936. His showroom was replaced by Sainsbury's North Finchley.
Added by J Heathfield on 12 September 2011

Edited by - KevinA on 09/02/2018 23:11:36
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2018 :  10:08:19  Show Profile
Maurice - would it be possible to get a decent photo of the badge, please? In the Austin world, one of our number is creating a resource of all Austin Dealerships (Austin produced a printed Dealer list every few years) and, where possible, an image of the Dealer's dash plaque. A photo of your's would be a welcome addition...

cheers..

Hugh

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2018 :  11:49:40  Show Profile
I will try to post a photograph. It does have an Austin badge across it.

Maurice.
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2018 :  12:33:21  Show Profile
I received the following little bit of history from Barry Walker and I publish it with his kind permission.

"I was running the business at 17 Dainton close, BROMLEY, from June 1968 to Sept. 1970 part time. And from Sept 1970 to March 1975 full time .
We then moved the business to Wadhurst in Sussex from March 1975 – October 1977
We then moved the business backed to Bromley (Chislehurst in fact) from October 1977 to June 1995
We the moved the business from Chislehurst to Alcester (current location) from June 1995 to date.

I was offered Peter Green’s ‘Witney Straight’s ’ original K3 for £30,000 in 1973/4 but turned it down as I couldn’t raise the money!
I missed two ‘R’ types in racing condition because my cheque missed the post! That wasn’t funny.
Best buy was a complete ‘MG MotorCar Co.’ wooden chest (fully in-scripted) of ALL the Jaques Menier J4/K3 spares from one of his relatives in France. It was when we had the £25 cash limit if you left the UK (late ‘70s), I had to hide the money to buy, under the floorboards of the van on way out. Uncanny thing was that the SAME CUSTOMS MAN I met going out was on duty at Newhaven when I returned. He never asked what I paid thank God, only what was in the box!!

The best MMM catalogue ever produced was by us in 1993. It took me two years to write it, cross reference it and finally proof it. It was published in 1993. My only regret is that I didn‘t print thousands instead of hundreds. When the printers in Dartford changed over from analogue to Digital in 2000 they THREW AWAY our plates and I could never have it reprinted. Original copies are very valuable today I am told!"

Thank you Barry.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2018 :  16:07:05  Show Profile
I have a copy of Barry's excellent "ThePreWar MG Parts Centre" catalogue in pristine condition and with the covering letter dated September 1995.The exploded diagrams are very detailed and well laid out.

Also included was a list of cars for sale headed by a completely rebuild PA at £22,500!

I also have a copy of the Bones' catalogue, what an incredible stock they had.

Happy days long gone!

George
L2023

Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2018 :  18:20:58  Show Profile
I too have a nice copy of Barry’s excellent catalogue, been tucked away in a file box since probably ‘93.

I would be very interested to learn if anybody has a burr walnut dashboard with this logo branded on the back, I made possibly not the best quality boards for Barry in the 70s and cannot for the life of me remember whether I marked them.

Richard
PA1733 YA5206
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000