Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 As cheap as chips
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2017 :  20:39:35  Show Profile
Fascinated by the “times gone by” topic on spares, There was an MG garage on Smithdown Road in Liverpool but I cannot remember it’s name. We bought some bits from it and frequented many scrap yards. Also Rover 10 and 12, Riley RME, Armstrong Siddley Hurricane and Citroen Light 12. Our first was an Austin 7 Ruby. The topic “cars for sale” is another with different prices.

So in 1965/6 or thereabouts my brother and I bought a 4 seater PA from a medical student for £4 ( now deceased, the car at least) and in 1966 I bought a PB for £8, non runner but complete, see picture from this summer.

Can anyone match a better value Christmas present ?

PB 0527

Mikeenty

United Kingdom
198 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2017 :  21:08:10  Show Profile
Hi Robin,
Sometime in the summer of 1965 I heard the famous words ‘you like MGs don’t you?”
The MG in question was in Davenports Beer at Home yard in Ormskirk. The yard was closing, today was Friday and the scrapman was coming on Monday.
My best mate, Pete Crowther, who had a Morris 10 4, was roped in and armed with a tow rope we arrived on Saturday. There was the MG, knee deep in weeds, bonnet and cylinder head off very sorry for itself.we were told to help Orr selves. We towed it out of the weeds and the wheels collapsed. We returned to Manchester and went to my friend Tony Orrell. He had a TA. He was playing football, so with his mums permission we swiped his wheels and returned to Ormskirk leaving his TA on bricks and towed the MG home. It had 6 cylinders and a two seater body with a dicky seat in the back, an NA Allingham bodied 2 seater and dicky. The car is still OK, and on the register. But a whisker away from the scrapyard....
Mike.

Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2017 :  21:51:12  Show Profile
Robin, you appear to have strapped a largish suitcase below the luggage rack (all the better to see the Boys in Blue?) but I'm sort of guessing, in view of its colour, that the strange looking item behind that might be some other form of luggage facility?

Dave (Who can never find enough carrying space to satisfy The Boss)
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2017 :  22:17:11  Show Profile
Well done Robin!

I am sure that Graham Arrondelle (Registrar i/c PBs) would love to receive more info about PB0527 and also any clues about the deceased 4-seater PB if you can recall them......

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2017 :  13:42:44  Show Profile
Dear Dave,

There has from time to time been posts relating to luggage capacity. We
I bought the car it had twin spare wheels with a short extended brackets from the rear chassis cross member for the number plate. Though some would have removed them they have enabled us to have a rear trunk

This has served us well ! Picture from Albacete, twixt Madrid and Valencia

PB 0527
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2017 :  16:19:52  Show Profile
Thanks for that Robin. It looks brilliant and I do like the GB plate. It might also help in identifying your bag on an airport carousel! Unfortunately even that would not persuade "The Boss" that travel, as distinct from driving around, in a Triple M car is a good thing.

Just for the record, I guess you don't fit the spare wheel spinner with the case in place?

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2017 :  18:54:08  Show Profile
Trouble with that Dave is that Gordon Brown might nick it off the carousel

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

Emmgee

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2017 :  23:08:05  Show Profile
The case looks quite a large one. I am curious to know as to what effect it has on the steering when fully loaded! I would think that it would "lighten" the steering somewhat!

Barry, F0525
Go to Top of Page

Widung

Sweden
189 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2017 :  15:03:15  Show Profile
Hi Mike,

I have some experience from a similar case when I prolonged the chassis on my TC in 1968 and put on an "America coffer" on it. We then went on our honeymoon trip via UK and Abingdon where Wilson Mc Comb took us on a factory tour and then kindly invited us to lunch. His remark was that "it must help turning in round-abouts!"
He was absolutely correct in his observation, but everything went well on our trip to Portugal via Spain and back - the only mishap was when we disconnected the coffer to bring it up to our hotel room and on leaving found that it left quite sooty marks on the mat(I did not prolong the exhaust)....

Those were the days!
Widung PB0635
Go to Top of Page

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2017 :  21:15:26  Show Profile
Dear Dave,

Actually I leave the spinner on though it does score the plastic of the case ... I may take up your suggestion and remove it.

Dear Barry,

As far as the steering goes it seems as heavy as ever though clothes are lighter than petrol and I have a smaller lighter battery. In addition I have a box of bits that go under the bonnet when distance touring which possibly helps to balance it. Without all these the car does seem a bit quicker but in honesty European touring is such a pleasure compared to GB driving that we find it fulfills our needs. The exhaust is long enough at the moment to avoid the sooty case syndrome.

PB 0527
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000