Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 A useful gadget!
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2017 :  11:22:54  Show Profile
Having decided to smarten up my exhaust manifold with Stovax, I felt that the pipework could also do with a coat or two of high temperature paint. Aerosol cans are the handiest, but I've always found them awkward to use and I usually get my fingers covered in paint. This little gadget, at a fiver from Halfords, solves the problem. It clips onto the can and the trigger operates the spray button. So much easier to use and it can be swapped from can to can.

You can find it here - http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-workshop/welding-metal-work/can-gun-1-spray-can-tool

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 15/12/2017 11:23:43

paul55

Luxembourg
731 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2017 :  18:32:19  Show Profile
Hello Simon, It does look okay especially if it stops you getting paint all over your fingers, but how about when the canister starts to get empty? Does it avoid the nozzle spraying blobs of paint everywhere? Anyway I have attached a photo on a gadget that I have, it’s especially useful at this time of year. It has a dual function, and it does both perfectly. I haven’t attached a link where you can get one from as I guess that you might have one already lurking in a cupboard somewhere. So get it out and dust it off, and give it a try out…if you still remember how to use it.

Paul

Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2017 :  19:20:19  Show Profile
That's a corker!!

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2017 :  21:33:56  Show Profile
Can anyone suggest a good reason why, when all logic suggests pushing down on two levers as Paul's machine to be the best way to remove a cork, without exception (in my experience) "professionals" use that awkward device with a little metal bit they lodge on the top of the bottle before lifting, against gravity, on a single lever?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1565 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2017 :  22:17:00  Show Profile
".............."professionals" use that awkward device with a little metal bit they lodge on the top of the bottle before lifting, against gravity, on a single lever?"

Because the above is single handed and the other is two-handed and thus halves the effort, also the later is more cumbersome for the maitre d' to fit in his pocket.............!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

paul55

Luxembourg
731 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2017 :  22:38:30  Show Profile
What's all this talk about wine and bottles...I've been using it to remove worn king pin bushes and valve guides!
I thought that the two handles helped you pull them out square,
Oh well back to the drawing board.

Paul.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2017 :  23:03:42  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Oz34

without exception (in my experience) "professionals" use that awkward device with a little metal bit they lodge on the top of the bottle before lifting, against gravity, on a single lever?

That'd be one of these then, Dave

But while we're on the subject of bottle openers, which are, after all, useful gadgets as the thread title says, how about this for a bit of minimalist design for a regular bottle opener?

Needless to say it's Danish.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

paul55

Luxembourg
731 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2017 :  23:12:27  Show Profile
Simon, does it double as some kind of minimalist wind instrument too?
Sorry for diverting your original thread....
Paul.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2017 :  23:15:14  Show Profile
Perhaps! But as the thread is simply called 'A useful gadget!' as far as I can tell, all the items illustrated fall into that category

Simon J
J3437
P.S. The reason why professionals don't use the double lever device is possibly because you need to set the bottle on something to operate it whereas with the single lever jobbie you hold the bottle in one hand and open it with the other.

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 15/12/2017 23:24:28
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000