Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Clutch disengagement
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  17:32:39  Show Profile
Having problems with the PB. push clutch pedal all way down, clutch operates OK, but gears crunch and will not engage 1st or any other gear. If I put it into gear ,hold clutch in and then start engine it seems OK, can change OK (double de-clutch) through gears when running. Have reduced the 3/16" clearance to 1/8" to see if that helps, but seems to be the same.If I stop and go into 1st sometimes straight in no problem, other times it crunches, gears are still turning I think.Only thing I have done is change to a synthetic gear oil, could this be too thin and allowing the gears to keep turning,if so I will change back,of course. Any suggestions before I delve further , last resort is to strip it down, any advise/suggestions as in the past very much appreciated.Best Regards John.

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  19:08:17  Show Profile
Hi John,
I had a similar problem many years ago and could not understand why sometimes the gear change was superb and other times it would not go in. I then drove someone elseĘs car and there was no problem. I was told to put my hand on top of the gear lever and see if I could press it to the ground. IE was there any downward movement against the anti rattle spring. I had between 1/8 to ? of an inch movement! AND I had no shims between the octagonal turret and the base of the remote. The gear lever had worn the aluminium of the remote casting. An insert had to be made to remove the play. Some years later a friend in Luxemburg was having the same as you describe and I loaned him a repaired remote and he could not believe the difference. A couple of Sliverstones ago I went around testing peopleĘs remotes and I would say 75% had too much play in their remotes.

What happens is with a light touch there is no free movement and the gear goes in OK but any pressure and there is lost movement and the selectors are not moved enough hence the crunching.

Also the colder (and /or thicker) the oil the better the change you have. The oil you have used may have some effect but try the test above to eliminate at least one possible cause of your problems.

Regardsą.. Terry

PS others reading this ą.. Go out and test your remote for play!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

John

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  09:55:35  Show Profile
Terry, thanks for reply. I have just tried again, before reading your reply, and the change is perfect, from cold start up into 1st as it should be.Will check as you say, many thanks for a concise and considered reply, much appreciated.John
Go to Top of Page

John

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  12:36:31  Show Profile
Have stripped and checked remote, yes I have about 1/4" end play on gear lever, aluminium is well worn and some ovality. Going to manufacture inserts to bring back, as near as possible to orginal.Will report back when completed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000