Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Differential Assembly
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2007 :  10:06:08  Show Profile
Having heard groaning noises from the back axle of my 1934 N type I decided to open it up to see what was wrong. Having removed the wheels, brake drums and half shafts (one of which was full of oil – another story!) I took off the differential case.

The cause of my problems was immediately apparent as the casing for the front pinion bearing had disintegrated and there were bits of metal everywhere. On close examination there did not appear to be any other damage so I thought the job would just involve obtaining and fitting new bearings.

What puzzled me however was there did not appear to be any oil seals which accounted for the constant drip of oil that I had earlier accepted as the norm.

The measurements of the pinion housing end cap internal diameter was 1.265 thous, (and I noticed this was spiralled), the outside diameter of the pinion to prop shaft flange was 1.225 thous, and a washer that fitted just inside the pinion housing end cap was 1.256 thous. The pinion to prop shaft flange appeared to be quite worn and the unworn part measured 1.230 thous (original dimension I presume)

If the spiralling of the end cap is intended to stop oil leaks should not the tolerance between the end cap internal diameter and the pinion to prop shaft flange outside diameter be much less?

Any comments would be welcome

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2007 :  12:00:55  Show Profile
Malcolm,

Whilst I had my diff in pieces I fitted the flange to the pinion shaft and mounted this between centres in my trusty Myford. I was able to turn off the scroll and polish the surface - I also trued up the face that fits to the UJ. Likewise I was able to fit the steel bearing carrier in the lathe and bore out the female scroll. I machined the diameters to fit a lip seal that I bought from BSL in Glasgow - the cost was about ú3.

Cheers

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2007 :  19:13:29  Show Profile
Paul & Jan
Thanks for your comments. A lip seal is the obvious solution and it is good to know that others have had the same problem. I shall proceed to get a lip seal and have the necesary machining done to acomodate it.
Thanks again

Malcolm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000