Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Mirris Minor Gear box
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2018 :  18:59:13  Show Profile
I have a friend with a Morris Minor saloon with a very noisy 3 speed gearbox who would like a good/reasonable 4 speed box.
Does anybody know of one, please?

Mike Dalby

Blithe Spirit

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2018 :  12:44:48  Show Profile
Hi Mike,
I have a 4 speed crash box from a Wolseley Hornet Special. It looks identical to a J type box, except the speedo drive comes out horizontally. It was originally in my J3 behind a Ford E93, so would need another bell housing and work to the primary shaft to undo the Ford clutch mod. It is also without the remote. When in my car it worked well, relatively quiet, and second gear is not badly worn. Please email me if this could be of interest - it would be a lot cheaper than an original J type box, provided you can find the missing bits.
Regards,
David
Go to Top of Page

AFM781

United Kingdom
194 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2018 :  15:37:44  Show Profile
I rebuilt my M type three speed box renewing one or two worn items and now use Redline light high impact oil. The result is a far less noisy box, without an awful scream in second.

How does the Wolseley box compare in length? The Wolseley three speed box is about 30mm shorter than the Minor 3 speed, so a modified prop shaft may be needed. Also somewhat heavier, uncertain about the difference in ratios.
Go to Top of Page

Blithe Spirit

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2018 :  09:03:51  Show Profile
Hi again Mike,
If my original posting was unclear, the Hornet Special box is 4 speed and uses the identical same main case as the J type, so is the same length. Ratios are different, however. First and second are the same as J but third is same as PA. Not ideal for a J/P but fine for a Minor and better than a three speeder. J type or Hornet bell housing and remote fit. James Gunn had some bell housings made a few years ago, and many PA owners have fitted J boxes so there may be a few discarded original J bell housings about.

Regards,
David
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000