Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 QA0257
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2018 :  10:19:36  Show Profile
I have been informed by John Lackey, the current owner of QA0257 that the car is still for sale and now has an export licence for sale outside of Australia.

This car is a genuine piece of M.G. history - just look at pages 256 and 257 of The Hawke History of MMM Competition Cars. The asking price is £230,000 (GBP) or near offer which includes delivery to the export Agents in Melbourne.

This is an opportunity to acquire one of the very rare Q Types (only eight built) and this car was exported to Australia from new. It really is about time that it was brought home ! John can be contacted at <jscl.2996@gmail.com>.

Colin B.

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2018 :  11:22:53  Show Profile
Given the fact the car was exported new to Australia and it's extensive racing history I am surprised it has not sold to someone in Australia?

The asking price of £230000 is not out of the way expensive as compared to the £210000 currently being asked for a K type built in the style of a K3.

Now if only I had won the lottery.

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 05/07/2018 11:23:40
Go to Top of Page

Phil Standish

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2018 :  17:51:18  Show Profile
I think it is a too expensive way to start a K3 replica George. I don't think you would approve of a genuine Q built in the style of a K3#128553;
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  11:25:57  Show Profile
Phil

You have misunderstood my message, I am saying if only I had the money I would buy and enjoy QA0257, an original and rare competition car, and would see it as being a far better buy than spending almost as much to purchase a K type built in the style of a K3.

George
Go to Top of Page

Phil Standish

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  17:10:22  Show Profile
Hi George
My message was very much tongue in cheek
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2014 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  17:25:53  Show Profile

I have to say I am surprised that this Q type is still for sale. Whilst £230,000 is a great deal of money, in relative terms it seems to be reasonably priced
for such an historic car. (Pages 123 and124 in my copy of ‘The Hawke History of MMM Competition Cars ‘ )
Although I am fortunate to own a K3 copy there cannot be a substitute for a car such as this with genuine competition history. If I had a spare £230,000
I would be after this car now ! Would I sell my K3 copy to finance the Q ? The answer must be no, because I have been obsessed with K3s for too long.

But it would be interesting to know what others would do !!

Chris.
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  19:04:41  Show Profile
In my humble opinion I think that the price is too high on the basis that having purchased a racing car what can you successfully do with it.

For that sort of money most purchasers of a racing car would like the opportunity of seeing a chequered flag well before the rest of the competitors. Yes great fun in VSCC and Triple-M events but at a quarter of a million which by the time you have imported it and sorted it for UK racing would be the minimum cost one could probably purchase something at lesser cost and be more successful in above mentioned events.

Just look at the current winners of these events

Of course the history is interesting but this does nothing for the performance apart from perhaps instilling a hope that it must be good.

Remember they are only 746cc supercharged which at their originally designed pressure did not stay that way for long and required a heavy dose of methanol to achieve their original quoted output.

I guess I might be sounding like a sour old puss but no just being practical but then I guess being practical you never have any fun which at what ever price this car would certainly give.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2014 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  21:08:53  Show Profile

Remember, Bob, in standard form these were two-seaters. (I don’t know what state QA 0257 is in) Not everyone wants to race and this would be a terrific car for road use !

Chris.
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2018 :  15:29:54  Show Profile
You are correct Chris some of the Q Types are in 2 seater form but to put this car into UK road legal form and run on pump fuel with a result that could be achieved with one of Andy King's T Type Q creations fitted with a blown xpag engine at a much less cost and improved liability giving I imagine much the same driving experience probably not far away from that which you enjoy with your K3 copy.

Of course many will say that the Q has history but remember most of these racing cars have been rebuilt many times such is the nature of their environment and although not suggesting the following applies to this Q but recall the often quoted adage about Great grandpa's "original" axe only subsequently having 3 new handles and one new head.

My concern is that these cars with price tags of a quarter of a million pounds are fast approaching with the engineering expertise that is available a new build situation. Recall Geoff Enoch's excellent R Type recreation and the South American Bugatti. The genuine article will end up as investments far from the oily rag Triple-M enthusiast to be used as a hedge against financial movements and spend their days between Auction Houses who will be pumping up prices to enhance their fees.

A by product of these high asking prices for our more exotic models is to drag up the asking prices for our lesser model types.

Having said all this I don't know what the answer is as long as people are prepared to pay the asking price which as I have outlined is not necessarily their value then the younger up & coming Triple-M enthusiast will not be able to experience the real thing.

Maybe virtual reality Triple-M cars will be available in the coming years!

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2018 :  20:09:38  Show Profile
I would love to have it and use it. Q has always been my fav.

We have a good selection of historical cars being used in many forms. Hope this one continues to be one of them. I would say this car could easily run in race or road trim.

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
770 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2018 :  21:10:14  Show Profile
Having the opportunity to drive a Q-type and race it, thanks to the owner Michael Bystrom, is a great privilege and a superb driving experience. Dorothy (QA0255) is an elderly lady these days compared to her youthful zest.... but can still show a clean pair of heels to many other cars. As she gets used on the road boost is down to about 10 - 12psi and is tuned for 95 unleaded petrol but still gives 70 bhp at about 6,400rpm. Driving is quite different to the C-type... she is sure footed and has some of the best cable brakes I have experienced. On sweeping,undulating B roads you can surprise many a modern driver...press the pedal for 3rd ...right foot down and away past..... On the track she does have a few old habits... slow of the start as is heavy for a 750cc car, has a close ratio type 75 box so takes a few yards to get going.....and has a 7/8th lock to lock steering so I am developing good arm muscles ! All these features are from her days on the Brooklands banking...... but thats what she was and still is.... like a diamond is to quartz.
All being well with me we will be at Donington next Sunday for some fun..... 81 years since she last was a fast lady there.....
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

ht1962

Netherlands
114 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2018 :  20:26:29  Show Profile
Hello,
I have made a fair and decent offer to the Australian owner a couple of weeks ago but no answer so far......
I can only assume that he has sold the Q in the meantime.

Regards,
Halbe Tjepkema
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  09:28:04  Show Profile
Hello Halbe. So far as I know, the car has not been sold yet. I would guess that John is thinking about it carefully. If it had been sold, I am sure that John would let you know.

Best of luck with your offer.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  18:42:15  Show Profile
Good luck Halbe. I have my fingers crossed for you.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

ht1962

Netherlands
114 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  19:02:41  Show Profile
Thanks.
Will ,let you know if anything happens.

Regards
Halbe
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2014 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2018 :  14:04:05  Show Profile

I’m wondering if this Q Type was ever sold.

Does anyone know, as a matter of interest ?

Chris
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000