Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Extra drilled holes in guarantee/ID plate
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

KevinA

New Zealand
671 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2018 :  11:31:20  Show Profile
Whilst I can't pretend to give any answers I'm more intrigued by one of Sam's pictures, it shows an intact plate over half a hole. The plate itself is held on with modern looking screws but the plate shows the imprint of washers that shouldn't exist. Elimate the impossible (SH style) is my philosophy in this cae
Go to Top of Page

powerplus

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2018 :  11:47:09  Show Profile

Here’s one without a hole. - and the car is not overturned!

Powerplus.

Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2018 :  12:23:59  Show Profile
I still wonder if the footrest was an optional extra on J2's or was the plate sometimes fitted in a different position as glimpsed on this example (which has survived unscathed)?

Edited by - sam christie on 10/08/2018 12:30:33
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2018 :  12:43:08  Show Profile
From a previous post.

Edited by - MG Maverick on 10/08/2018 12:48:38
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2018 :  17:07:20  Show Profile
Dick and fellow P-Type owners......

I have wondered if ALL PA serial number plates have PAxxxx etched or if early cars were simply P? Note that MGCCo history says it was simply P-Type until the PB update came along, then the P-Types became PA's.

If Peter Ross is watching this space, perhaps you can send a pic of yours? Any other early PA plates - are they etched PAxxx??

Thanks........ tommm in warm, sunny Ohio
Go to Top of Page

bgerity

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2018 :  17:34:27  Show Profile
Mark, you are on the same thought process that I was when I posted. I was wondering if the hole drilled in the center could have been a way to release the car from the UK. Mine started life under British ownership but was then taken to Italy before the long road (ocean) to Hong Kong and USA. Perhaps the plate was drilled as the car was exported? We may never know, but seems possible since there are other plates on the forum with very obvious center holes. With that said, Tom I really appreciate all the extra insight into the footrest. Maybe I should add one to my car. It sounds like it would definitely increase comfort for my passengers. Fascinating how both the frame numbers and engines were truly consecutive. I knew the frames were but had never seen the engine numbers for two consecutive cars until these posts.
Go to Top of Page

Mark

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2018 :  20:02:24  Show Profile
OK. Here is a picture of one of my " drilled" chassis plates. The plate is clearly drilled in the middle and the burr on the hole indicates that the hole was drilled from the front ( face ) of the plate. This must have been done as a deliberate act. The hole shows no evidence of scuffs from nuts and bolts. I suggest therefore that this was done as some means of inactivating the plate, either when the vehicle was scrapped or exported maybe. I have 2 others like this and I know that one of these cars was exported.

Go to Top of Page

Mark

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2018 :  20:12:03  Show Profile
Anyway. Whatever the answer to the mystery I just feel lucky to have the original chassis plates. !!!
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2018 :  21:18:32  Show Profile
As for the reason why the chassis numbers were engraved and the engine numbers stamped. This was also the arrangement at Morris Motors. The chassis plates arrived in boxes with the chassis numbers pre-engraved in numerical order. As the chassis were assembled, the chassis plates were temporarily wired on to the frames at the start of the line. The engines were delivered in lorries in batches from Coventry and piled beside the production line ready to fit. By the time they had been through test at Coventry, loaded on to lorries about thirty at a time and delivered into Good Inwards at Cowley and thence ferried to the production line, their numerical sequence was well mixed. Also some engine were diverted for spares for other engines replaced under warranty and for marine application.

When the chassis reached the point where the engine was to be fitted, the next engine to hand was selected and the chassis plate un-wired and stamped with the appropriate number and then re-wired to the chassis, only to be finally secured once the chassis had visited the body shop.

This explains the random nature of the engine numbers compared to the chassis number numerical sequence and the need for spare and marine engines also explains why, in general, engine numbers are slightly higher than the corresponding chassis numbers.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2018 :  23:20:44  Show Profile
Hello Mark,

We have you listed as the owner of J0274, but perhaps the plate is all that survives?

Regards
Dick
Go to Top of Page

Mark

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  09:28:17  Show Profile
Hi Dick. Am pleased to report that the car is now fully restored as a 2 seater and just awaits finishing details such as attaching the original chassis plate which was very kindly sent to me by Peter Fincham who had found it in his collection of bits. I will send you some photos etc for your records.
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2018 :  12:27:51  Show Profile
My guarantee plate has a couple of holes I always assumed were just a result of carelessness, however the thought had occurred to me that this may be a way of invalidating or indicating the finish of the guarantee, rather like that which can be seen on some discontinued CDs/LPs etc. My car may have been a demo car so perhaps sold sans guarantee?

On my car they were clearly done in situ, and not drilled right through.

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2018 :  12:55:29  Show Profile
The Guarantee plate on my L2 does not have any holes drilled.

The suggestion that the plates were drilled when the warranty expired could have some truth in it? Perhaps any dealer repairing a car under warranty would be instructed by the works to drill a small hole if the car being worked on was at the end of the warranty period.

Perhaps those cars with undrilled plates are still under warranty.

George
Registrar F/L/N types
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 12/08/2018 12:58:24
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2018 :  14:43:14  Show Profile
Sam I have never seen a plate fitted in the position you show in your picture,
Here is a picture of one of the original J2 firewalls I have which shows the position of the two brass plates. Note there are no holes drilled right through the firewall where the brass plates are located. I believe the hole for the foot rest bracket may be the one marked in white to the right of the lower brass plate.

I have seen a number of original brass plates drilled with that central 5/16 inch hole. Have always guessed they were there because someone had added a component and drilled extra mounting holes but the " warranty "idea is an interesting one.

TH
Go to Top of Page

powerplus

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2018 :  22:50:43  Show Profile

Just a very long shot, but might anyone possess the guarantee plate for PB 0538,
please? Good reward offered.

Powerplus.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000