Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Extra drilled holes in guarantee/ID plate
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

RBob

New Zealand
15 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2018 :  01:35:31  Show Profile
And another one...

Go to Top of Page

bgerity

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2018 :  17:06:28  Show Profile
Well, the evidence is certainly mounting that the holes were drilled intentionally and perhaps as a way to invalidate the guarantee or export the vehicle. Like Mark, I too am just glad to have my original plate after all these years. I've very much appreciated seeing all the plate photos uploaded to this thread. The size of these center holes is very consistent indeed.
Go to Top of Page

Simon

United Kingdom
450 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2018 :  17:20:52  Show Profile
And just another picture! Plates shown were positioned on new firewall in exactly the same position; these holes might be visible in photo of old firewall which had been reduced in height. 2 small holes in body plate for some object purpose unknown. simon C.

Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2018 :  17:34:15  Show Profile
Simon and others.....

1. Do we know when the aluminum Carbodies serial number plate was moved from rear of body tub interior to a standard stamped brass body plate on the firewall? (like on /J2/4199)

2. Would this be a difference between Carbodies and Morris built tubs?

3. Are there any holy serial number plates that are still mounted to the ORIGINAL firewall? If so, curious if the passenger foot slope bolt went through or if only the brass plate was drilled.....

Thanks. tommm on the Lake Erie sunny shores
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2018 :  17:39:20  Show Profile
One other question....

Would it be possible or even legal (Nick?) to have a dedicated Forum or chronological MMM database of photographs for all chassis serial number plates? I'm finding this discussion very interesting and informative.

Perhaps not best for outsiders though?

tommm
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
873 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2018 :  17:53:49  Show Profile
This is another plate with a kind of a center hole, which maybe results from the chassis beeing exported.
It still also shows the original flash-chroming.
If somebody (maybe in Switzerland) has an N-typ chassis numbered 0606,
I would be happy to let him have this original Guarantee-Plate.
Gerhard

Go to Top of Page

Adrian Moore

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2018 :  18:23:12  Show Profile
I was given this plate PA/1093 it also has extra holes
Be nice to reunite with the car !

Adrian Moore
Go to Top of Page

paul55

Luxembourg
731 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2018 :  18:30:02  Show Profile
Well,this seems to be the place to try to reunite chassis with the original chassis plates..so here goes....does anyone have the original plate for my N type chassis NA 800? I have the chassis! I bought the chassis from Stuart Tate quite a few years ago.

Might be stamped N800 or N 0800..

Thanks,
Paul.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2018 :  19:59:56  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mgtommm

1. Do we know when the aluminum Carbodies serial number plate was moved from rear of body tub interior to a standard stamped brass body plate on the firewall? (like on /J2/4199)

J3437 had an aluminium Carbodies plate on the panel behind the driver's seat.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2018 :  20:05:25  Show Profile
Gerhard

The only information on NA0606 is that you have the guarantee plate, I have added the photo of the plate to the file for the car.

The car was exported to Switzerland when new as a chassis only.

George
Registrar F/L/N types.
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2018 :  21:52:11  Show Profile
Here is J3485 a few years ago. The bulkhead shows the hole and the plate has damage to suit. It is now back in situ.

The car does not have a footrest fitted and the hole remains empty.

The aluminium body plate is behind the driver' seat.

The car is still quite original.

Cheers

P

Edited by - PeterL on 13/08/2018 21:58:13
Go to Top of Page

RobinBarker

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2018 :  04:21:59  Show Profile
mgtommm wrote:

2. Would this be a difference between Carbodies and Morris built tubs?

My research into MG Body #s (MMM, SVW, T, Y & MGA) indicates that the first standard, stamped brass MG Car Company body identification plates appeared starting around J3540 and L2074 in August 1933. These were bolted to the firewall.
Prior to that, I believe J and L bodies carried the Carbodies Body No. plate at the rear of the body tub interior.

This transition was not immediate (but happened fairly quickly) with some Carbodies plated tubs being used in production after MG plated tubs had been introduced.

I have no info suggesting that any bodies had both plates. That may have occurred, but it seems unnecessary.

Originally I had thought that the transition from the Cardodies plate to the MG plate signalled a change in the body supplier from Carbodies to Morris Motors Bodies Branch as reportedly directed by Lord Nuffield to Cecil Kimber in late 1933.
However the second of the numbers in the Body No. on the early MG plates carries on in direct sequence from the single Body No. on the late Carbodies plate.

This suggests to me that Carbodies continued to supply J2 and L2 bodies to MG until both of these models were discontinued.
Only with the introduction of the P, did the body supplier change over to Morris Bodies Branch.
A reasonable purchasing decision perhaps to avoid introducing a new supplier late in the J2 / L2 production runs.

If this is true then the MG Car Company body identification plates were first used by Carbodies and then later by Morris Bodies Branch and this suggests that the MG ID plate was indeed a requirement made by MG and not by Carbodies.
My assumption is that MG created their own body ID plate and corresponding numbering system in order to simplify and streamline the logistics of bodies flowing to Abingdon at a time when the number of MGs being assembled was on the increase.

Looking forward to any and all comments from others.

Best regards
Robin
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2018 :  06:04:59  Show Profile
If this helps, J2353s MG Brass Plate was mounted on the front nearside firewall. The plate shows signs of a washer being fitted to the bolt, both the hole in the plate and the firewall line up so I would suggest this was for a nearside foot board, what else could it be ? See my earlier post which clearly shows both holes. Both the plate and the firewall are the originals fro J2353.

Chris

J2353
J4129
Go to Top of Page

Greensa

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2018 :  09:03:31  Show Profile
Robin,
My J2 was produced at the end of November 1932....J2760...the Carbodies plate was fixed to the driver’s side of the cross piece in front of the diff...as you see from the battered specimen it was date stamped 23/11/1932 which was 6 days before the recorded date of production for the whole car. No evidence of a brass body plate on the firewall when I inherited the car...see previous post re my guarantee plate,regards,

Apologies that it’s upside down

SteveG
J2760
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2018 :  09:12:34  Show Profile
Hi Adrian,

All trace of this 4-seater PA1093 appears to have been lost. Interesting engine stamping - suggesting that the Works gave it a +0.10" rebore, but what's with the 'CS' suffix?

Do you have any other knowledge/history on this car?

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000