Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Extra drilled holes in guarantee/ID plate
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2018 :  10:53:46  Show Profile
My earlier comment that the holes in the ID Plate may have been caused, at some time, by the Petrol Pump was discounted by later contributions.

However in the case of the J3, the plate was fixed at the LHS top (facing driver) as shown in the image from the Handbook. Presumably this was to avoid the Autopulse pump in the original location at the lower RHS.

When the Autopulse were found to be inadequate, the replacement SU pump was placed in the usual position, which is now on top of the ID plate and the necessary holes drilled through it. That appears to be the situation for J3772 where the holes exactly match the SU base.

Could this be true of other plates?

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2018 :  17:45:19  Show Profile
On the plus side, Ian, your location looks to support that theory.

However, on the minus side, I would think we would see SU pump base witness marks on the holed serial number plates.

And why would the plate, important as it is, be covered by a fuel pump?

Thirdly, I have plenty of J2 firewalls here from early to late. Every one shows the same location of the 4 5BA holes. Later ones have the body number plate above serial number plate ala P-Type.

tommm in a hot, rainy Ohio-o-o-o
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2018 :  07:59:27  Show Profile
I suspect that when the Autopulse pump was replaced, the SU was put on the LHS as in the J2, but why over the plate is beyond me to guess!

Perhaps time to ask other J3 owners if their plate shows the same evidence.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

John Brinkmann

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2018 :  21:40:12  Show Profile

Ian: Here's another J3 plate, drilled a couple times, but no scars. An SU pump replaced the Autopulse at some point in J3752's history. The car was exported within the first year of its life.

John.

Go to Top of Page

Peter Croft

New Zealand
52 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2018 :  09:28:57  Show Profile
Having read through the posts I feel its developing into "I will show you mine if you show me yours".

The rogue, unexplained holes in the guarantee plate appears to me to be a J2 phenomena. Clearly the hole in mine, see photo below, is very similar or actually the same as Sam, Brent and MGtommm have posted.

The witness marks show something has been fastened through the firewall ( foot rest appears to be the consensus opinion) The clean holes drilled through are clearly different, and that is the mystery.

It has been suggested that they may have been drilled to nullify the guarantee or the car was exported.

Simply my car was exported in August 1937 and never had a guarantee issued when new, due to what may have been, according to Mike Hawke, a bit of skulduggery , and has no hole.

Body plate shown for general interest Stamped 9919 25.3.33

Peter and J3096

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000