Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG J2 Reg JO 6003
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IJ2D

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2018 :  10:34:02  Show Profile
The current owner may already be aware but this car was owned by Wilf Green, in the 1930's.He was a motorcycle dealer in Yorkshire.
Details of his ownership are in his autobiography " A large helping of Yorkshire pudding", chapter 12, "The MG". ISBN No 0952854813. Published by Roy Tinsley.

Ian J Davison

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2018 :  12:39:15  Show Profile
Thank you Ian. How interesting! This is J2598 which is alive and well in Bearsden, Glasgow. Apart from the present owner, who has had the car since ~1982, the only name listed in the Register's records is the original purchaser, I. Fenwick of what is listed as Stamford, Rutland, (now Lincs.) from 28.11.1932.

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

gsrun

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2018 :  13:02:27  Show Profile
Many thanks from me too, Ian, I am indeed the owner of JO 6003, or J2598 as Dick rightly says.
I will now endeavour to source a copy of the book - I don't really have much of the car's history as it was acquired as something of a wreck in exchange for a TA in similar, but slightly better order.

Graham R.
Go to Top of Page

IJ2D

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2018 :  15:33:55  Show Profile
Hi Dick and Graham,
I received a text from a mate, whilst on holiday with his family. He was reading the book, as his interest is motorcycles, including Indian Enfield's, which Wilf Green was a major importer for. The chapter about his MG J2 was a real find. I will borrow the book, when he returns.
Its great to peice together the history of our cars, but to find part of it in published book, must be quiet rare.

There is copy on fleebay, nothing to do with me.

Ian J Davison
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2018 :  17:12:35  Show Profile
Speaking of finding our car's history in a published book, Graham Cowie wrote the book "Yesterday's Motoring". It recounts his family's involvement with various motorcars in New Zealand in the early to mid-twentieth century. Especially interesting to me was his ownership and photos of his PA Airline Coupe. I was unable to identify the car as the chassis number is not mentioned and the registration number is not only partially obscured, but is a NZ number, as well. Also mentioned or pictured are an M-type Sportsman Coupe and a few newer MGs along with an amazing array of other family owned vehicles.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2018 :  15:57:26  Show Profile
If I recall Graham - it arrived in Bearsden less a door which disappeared en route!

JH
Go to Top of Page

gsrun

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2018 :  20:46:37  Show Profile
Yes indeed,Jeremy, your dad kindly offered to trailer the car to Glasgow for me when he was based here, the o/s door disappearing en route, having taken the TA (to be exchanged) on the south bound trip - and completing the transfer somewhere on the M4!
The story is related as no.23 in his book 'J2 Tales'- which I am fortunate enough to own copy number 40.
He was then good enough to present me with a rather splendid large size quick fill fuel cap which now adorns JO 6003.
My car also bears the original steel front apron from DG 5405 which your dad deemed far too heavy for a competition car and was to be replaced with a wafer thin alloy one!

Graham R.
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
671 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2018 :  23:52:54  Show Profile
Why does a JO registered car (Oxford) have a Rutland first owner? Does it have any works history?
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2018 :  16:38:45  Show Profile
I think that a lot of buyers brought their cars from Morris Garages, which still existed then, and collected them from the works.
My original 18/80 (now with Mr Black in NZ) had an Edinburgh registration SC 5297 but was brought by a Mr F Readman from Bradford on Avon, so work that one out! There are several M types with the SC registration about as well.

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 19/08/2018 16:40:21
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000