Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Bulletin Subscriptions
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2018 :  16:18:02  Show Profile
Since the Chinese connection has come up, the lastest version of the MG3 is of course covered in September. Frankly it's just a Eurobox with an Octagonal badge. What else differntiates it from the VW/Renault/Ciroen/Fiat offerings? They're all clones.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2018 :  16:28:10  Show Profile
At (from memory) less than £1 a week, I consider it money well spent

Scarily, most of my closest friends I have met through the MGCC - what if I had never joined, or, been brought up with the MGCC .???

Regarding Safety Fast, maybe if more people put pen to pare writing magazine input then maybe we would get more coverage?

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Edited by - colintf on 05/09/2018 16:37:00
Go to Top of Page

Terry Hartley

United Kingdom
279 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2018 :  16:28:55  Show Profile
Malcolm

I totally agree with your posting. We seem to have to endure this debate a couple of times every year and it's getting a bit like Groundhog Day! Personally, I believe there should be a mandatory field in each forum member's profile to state whether they are a MGCC member (or bona fide affiliated club member) or not. I understand why the Register feel it necessary to have an 'open door' policy when it comes to keeping track of our cars, but sometimes what is said here does show an insensitive attitude to those who actually pay for their privilege.

Getting back to Charlie's initial topic, if bulletin subs don't quite cover existing production/distribution costs should we be thinking about alternative methods? Obviously, not at the expense of diminishing the excellent content we have become accustomed to.

Terry Hartley
MGCC member since 1974.
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2018 :  16:32:22  Show Profile
I am the treasurer of the Vintage Register and we struggle to survive with about 35 members, we could not exist without the help of Kimber House. Like the Triple M Register much of Safety Fast seems irrelevant, just one-half page item each month with a longer 4-page item every three or four months
However, the benefits to the Registers of belonging to the large club are many, for instance insurance for the register, membership of the MSA for cover when organising events, and also the wealth of information available to name but a few.
With regard to the costs of the Bulletin, The VR have different charges for VR members and others, whether they be MGCC members or not.
And remember when the MGCC started the only cars were either Vintage or Triple M (M type). Without us the MGCC would not exist.

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 05/09/2018 16:49:44
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2018 :  16:42:19  Show Profile
I’ve been a member now I am not but in the future I most likely will be a member again.

Being a continental member there are hardly any benefits.
SF is always late so most of the announcements and for sale adds are useless
Discounts in insurance are not available and tech/traders help is not practical.

On the positive the MGCC facilitates the triple M racing scene and supports this forum/register.

Why did I “quit”?
Partly because the automatic or web renewal never worked for me and the effort of calling of posting was an irritant hassle.
Partly because I have/had a triple M race car to build and every penny counts (never imagined it to be this expensive)

Now I think I have to be a member to race so next year I’ll join again.

Moral of the story
Make it dead easy to join and renew
Make it worth it

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2018 :  17:12:57  Show Profile
Going back to Charlie's original posting, perhaps the free online version of the Bulletin should be moved to the MGCC members' section?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Terry Hartley

United Kingdom
279 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2018 :  17:59:39  Show Profile
Onno, we look forward to welcoming you back. I agree with most of the points you make regarding continental members. I don't know what communications with Kimber House are like now but a few years ago, when I had reason to be in touch with them, it was far from good. However, I need to correct you on one point when you say the MGCC supports this forum/register. The MGCC IS THIS REGISTER.

Simon, good idea.

Terry.
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2018 :  19:11:28  Show Profile

I pay my subscription to the MMM bulletin and if it was published as regularly as Safety Fast I would gladly pay £70 per annum because I am passionate about the MMM car. I would much prefer an independent Prewar MG Club. Sorry if it upsets certain members but that is my personal opinion.

Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2018 :  20:18:36  Show Profile
In fact, now that I think about it, all the free digital versions of MGCC publications, i.e. the Yearbook and Infoletters, as well as the Bulletin, should be in the members' section. It's bad enough that anyone, yes anyone, can access these without even registering to use the Forum so make 'em for members only I say!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2018 :  21:02:59  Show Profile
Terry
You are off course correct.
Just meant to seperate the triple M committee members and volunteers from the MGCC as a whole since I can only applaud and appreciate the work the triple M side does.

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Peter Dowson

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2018 :  10:19:49  Show Profile
I am a member of the MGCC and subscribe to the MMM bulletin but have little interest in most of SF. Like, Chris, if there was a pre-war MG club, I would jump ship from the MGCC fairly quickly.

It is a timely thread for me, as I was wondering whether to stop my subscription to the MGCC, and just continue with the MMM bulletin, which, in my opinion, is worth every penny I pay for it.

Peter

Peter - PA0448 - 4 Seater
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2018 :  10:21:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Onno

Terry
You are off course correct.
Just meant to seperate the triple M committee members and volunteers from the MGCC as a whole since I can only applaud and appreciate the work the triple M side does.

Onno "D" Könemann

I would guess that this applies to all the Registers, we are a large club covering a multitude of different cars. I think that Andy Knott does a tremendous job putting together a magazine that covers all the different models and types of M.G. that exist, giving each model a fair share of the magazine. I agree that there is little in it for me other than the Vintage Register and Triple M register items and I would guess that many other members of other registers feel the same. I have an MGF/TF, which is just part of my everyday transport, and also have access to the MGF Forum to obtain useful technical information, But I don't have the same passion and enthusiasm for it as I do the Vintage and Triple M cars.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2018 :  15:55:04  Show Profile
Ah, yes, here we go again, it’s like coming home!

Just to clear some issues: SF! usually arrives on my doorstep the same day it does in the UK, so that’s no excuse, Onno !
What is an excuse is that you have to manually renew every year because our debit card system doesn’t work in the UK. In Holland, once signed up you remain a member and are obliged to pay until you cancel. This goes for club memberships, magazine subscriptions, etc. Much easier if you ask me.

Then on to the matter of Chinese M.G.s vs. our old stuff: Not altogether comparable, but did not M.G. take part in the largest car cloning scheme in the world with the 1100/1300??? Which model is, I might add, rather more unique these days than Triple-M cars are and - as someone who commutes in a 1971 1300 - I can say that there’s less relevant content for FWD M.G.s in SF! than there is for Triple-M aficionados. Because I was given the ability to think logically, I fully understand Andy Knott has a difficult job weighing content and I think he's doing a splendid job!

Anyway, all the negative stuff aside, I remain an enthusiastic member (of the main MGCC, the Dutch MGCC, the Dutch T-Type & Pre War Owners Club, the Vintage Minor Register, and, dare I say it, the MGOC - solely for the magazine of course which has a ‘Malcolm Green Original’ basically each month) OUT OF LOYALTY. Without the MGCC there would be no MGCC Triple-M Register. There would be no SW Centre organising the Kimber Classic Trial (13 April 2019, please take note!). And. So. On.

Another thing people need to realise (imho of course ): A dead marque quickly fades. As long as M.G.s are being made, in whatever possibly horrible shape or form, people will know about the marque and even if only 5% moves on from the Chinese moderns through the post war Abingdon period cars to Triple-M and Vintage M.G.s, we NEED that 5% to be able to maintain our existence! I do not know how I can emphasise this bit enough, but please give it some thought. There is no room to be all arrogant and say we don't need the club and we'll form our own old car club!

So, anyway, if all the old farts on here who are not members could just stop being grumpy and pay up, that would be lovely.

Much obliged!
Cath
Go to Top of Page

NeilF

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2018 :  18:09:27  Show Profile
On Sunday I entered Devon & Cornwall's 'Old Tamar Bridges Run' in my 1974 MG Midget, not yet having confidence to use my PA on a 200 mile day out. There was an entry of about 60 cars with MGs from a 1932 J2 to a 2017 MGZS and a good representation of models in between - the oldest car was a lovely 1914 Ford Model T. My daughter navigated for the very first time, her hobby is horses which is probably as expensive as running a MMM car, she thoroughly enjoyed her day and remarked that everyone was really friendly. As a member of the MGCC that is what I expect, our motto is 'The Marque of Friendship' those who promote isolation of MMM cars from the MGCC may not participate in their local centre activities.

I am always pleased when the latest edition of SF arrives, I go straight to the MMM & Vintage sections but elsewhere there are usually interesting articles on other models and historical information related to the MG Company and its exploits. I think it is an excellent publication meeting the broad needs of the MG Car Club.

The cost of membership of the MGCC or affiliated overseas clubs is quite small compared to the cost of running our MMM cars, that said I hope access to the MMM Register remains open to all.

Neil
Go to Top of Page

Rainier

Netherlands
160 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2018 :  18:36:46  Show Profile
Because of this thread and many previous discussions, I feel myself obliged to renew my membership after several years of discontinuing. I recognize the need to ‘get something out of it’, but I start to realise there might be more to it than several pages of MMM news each month, which we already have every other month via the excellent bulletin!
The rich history of MG and the opportunities I got and still get to experience that history makes me see that the only way to sustain this is to keep the MGCC going by enthousiasts for enthousiasts, for all registries. As always that includes having the monetairy means to do so. By this reasoning I’m stepping up to my responsibility and started the hastle again to renew my membership...

Rainier
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000