Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 A Bluffer's Guide to Triple-M Cars?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6145 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  21:50:51  Show Profile
I jest with the title, but only a little!

I was in touch with a TA owner who is interested in acquiring a Triple-M car, possibly a PB should one be available. But he is not particularly familiar with our cars and wondered what to look out for. Is there such a thing as a guide to Triple-M ownership that a prospective buyer might refer to when scrutinising potential purchases? Something that would help the uninitiated to make an reasonably informed opinion about a car for sale.

Simon J
J3437

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  23:31:56  Show Profile
Simon, some years ago Philip Bayne-Powell did a series in S.F. on buying Triple M cars. Does your acquaintance want more than that because if that would do, I have them all on the computer and could send the appropriate one to you.

Best wishes,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6145 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  08:31:56  Show Profile
Dave,

That sounds like an excellent idea. Please do send the articles to me. Perhaps the Register should ask Philip if his articles could be made available on this site?

Many thanks.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 03/10/2018 08:32:27
Go to Top of Page

SteveGrover

South Africa
14 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  10:11:42  Show Profile
As somebody who still self-identifies as an ignorant MMM newcomer, I would recommend that he obtain a copy of Malcolm Green’s book “MG Sports Cars 1929-1936#8243;.

I have found this an invaluable reference in relearning the alphabet.

Steve Grover - J3395
Johannesburg, South Africa
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  10:49:39  Show Profile
Wouldn't it be nice if PBP's series for Safety Fast! were to be made available as downloads on this website? Perhaps even create a separate header for it in the menu, for easy finding?

Go to Top of Page

creamcracker

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  10:51:35  Show Profile
Coincidentally to Simon's post, there is a 6 page spread in this month's Enjoying MG, from the MG Owners' Club. It is entitled, Making Sense of Abingdon's Alphabet Soup and gives a detailed thumb nail description of both the 4 and 6 cylinder MMM cars. The article is by Jon Pressnell with a grateful acknowledgement to Mike Allison for his help in compiling the details.
It is obviously not a detailed 'buyers guide' but would give a prospective 'newbie' to the MMM world an idea of what the different models are and perhaps help to attract future younger owners.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  15:16:55  Show Profile
There is a section headed Model Profiles on our home page which gives very detailed description of each Triple M type . You do have to select each type in turn , admittedly, but that is an excellent read for potential buyers , l think.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6145 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  15:24:22  Show Profile
Thanks for these suggestions, chaps. The fellow in question is, I think, probably reasonably well informed about the specifications of the various models - hence, perhaps, his preference for a PB - but I think it's more about what to look for when inspecting a potential purchase. From Dave Shattock's description of Philip Bayne-Powell's article it sounds ideal and I'll hope to have sight of it soon. As Cathelijne and I have both suggested, this might be a suitable article to have available for download from a prominent position on our home page, Philip B-P permitting, of course.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  09:53:16  Show Profile
Phil B-P is a true stalwart of the MMM fraternity and I have no doubt at all that he will readily agree to his article being downloaded on to our website. If you need his postal address or telephone number, please let me know. If I hear no more, I shall certainly raise the point with him at the next Leather Bottle meet-up.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6145 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  11:10:27  Show Profile
Thanks, Colin, I've already dropped P B-P a line so all is in hand.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000