Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Autopulses & Glass Domes from VMGP.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  17:41:27  Show Profile
I am at the stage now where both dismantled MGJ2s that I bought from the late Michael Birds widow Angela in Cyprus are looking like J2s rather than boxes of parts. I have now used up nearly all the parts for both cars that was kept in 13 packing cases since 1965.Once I figured out which came from what, I decided to rebuild J2353 as a J4 upgrade as the majority of this J2 was missing, including the ash frame which was the ' Mulliner ' type. Cottinghams J4129 will be using all the original parts I have, except where safety is a feature, most of the parts were from this car in any case.

When I had the opportunity to purchase the ENV gearbox from the estate of Ron Grant, that meant I could upgrade J2353 without too much difficulty. I soon obtained two autopulse pumps, one from the UK and one from Holland ( thankyou to both sellers ). When Rich Hardy at VMGP mentioned about the glass domes he was organising for the autopulse, I ordered two for my pumps.

This is public note of thanks and recognition from me for the excellent reproduced parts by Rich and his team of Vintage MG Parts. His parts are of excellent quality and have made a difference to my projects.

I today received the autopulse glass domes I ordered( or should I refer to them as globes ), and I must say they are superb !

Rich, I must say you have always been very helpful and courteous, especially ( as like me ) one is new to the marque, apart from my wife owning a 1965 MGB Roadster some years ago.

I have no business association with Rich or VMGP, just a very satisfied customer who appreciates the high level of quality reproduction and the attention to small details.

Attached photos taken today of my progress, plus the autopulses and glass domes...they are excellent.

( Sorry for photos on their side..they are upright on my iPhone ).

Chris

J2353
J4129

Edited by - MG Maverick on 03/10/2018 17:45:54

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  18:11:23  Show Profile
Hi Chris

Photos now set correctly - the car is looking very good! Well done.

Also from the look of that garage you have your hands full.

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 03/10/2018 18:13:10
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  19:28:33  Show Profile
Thankyou George. My first attempt at an MMM, although I have over the years restored a few other makes, each has its own merits and downfalls, but good to have had the opportunity to attempt something different. It has taken me five years from inception, through the maze of parts and then the archiving to find that if I hadn't volunteered to clear Angela Birds lock up, J4129 ( Cottingham and the history ) may have been lost , probably forever. Thanks for uprighting the photos. My garage is stuffed with all the memorabilia and equipment from the days I owned a large workshop in which I kept my large Rover collection, most of which are now housed elsewhere along with the collections of two other owners, we share the accommodation which is great for us.

Chris

J2353
J4129

Edited by - MG Maverick on 03/10/2018 19:33:59
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  19:41:04  Show Profile
A progress close up of J4129, taken today.

Chris

J2353
J4129
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2162 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  22:21:06  Show Profile
Kind words not necessary Chris although nice to be appreciated!

Noting in your photos you have the later Autopulse units, the globes will not readily fit instead of the steel domes unless the platforms are re-machined and with some redesigning of the internal inlet and outlet manifolds. A new earlier style filter cartridge will also need to be made. I have modified some units already and I am happy to provide guidance to those who have placed orders.

For those who have ordered these globes, they will be going out over the next week or so when I have collated some small boxes, so expect an email

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  07:52:15  Show Profile
Thanks Rich, I for one will need guidance of the modifications, my comments are my appreciation for your helpful guidance which is appreciated.

Chris

J2353
J4129
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000