Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 and PB gears
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Tim Sharp

United Kingdom
303 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2018 :  11:37:35  Show Profile
Geoff

Yes, thanks for that it is your old 7/36 diff I am using. So what I now need is an N or P diff to get an 8/39 fitted to it.

Colin

Please see Geoff's posting.

Regards

Tim

Tim Sharp
PB0685 - Nuneaton
Go to Top of Page

george

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2018 :  11:44:45  Show Profile
Tim ,The YA diff is better engineered by far than the N or P ,it is also massively less expensive .It may well be a better solution to get a quote for a one off to suit the diff you have. As an aside when I used the 7/36 I did not really notice the change to my current 8/39. Geoff
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1940 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2018 :  12:45:03  Show Profile
Following this tangential "torque" of varying the diff ratio as an alternative to moving from PA to PB ratios, I beg to differ.

Although the graph comparing the two boxes apparently show little difference, in practice it is quite dramatic. My first experience was of a PB box which was fine; I then rebuilt a PA and was shocked by the difference. This provoked me to change that PA to PB ratios within 3 days (fortunately I had a spare box handy.)

Tim's suggestion of a "longer" diff ratio is perfectly reasonable, provided you never get to third gear. If you do, however then that gap between 2nd and 3rd is still there, just at a higher speed. That gap, particularly if you have a heavy flywheel, causes a significant delay in gear change and thus a consequential loss of acceleration. This is greatly reduced using PB ratios.

Where the PA box really manifests itself is on a hill that does not allow you to get out of second because by the time the cogs have synchronised allowing selection of third, your speed has dropped to preclude using third. You are thus stuck screaming away in second but not able to select third.

A longer diff on a PA box will not sort this out but the closer second/third ratios of a PB box and a lighter flywheel will mitigate the problem.
Go to Top of Page

Tim Sharp

United Kingdom
303 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2018 :  20:47:17  Show Profile
Geoff

Thanks for the aside. I am concerned that a change of 0.268 will not make alot of difference.

Nigel

I currently have a Wolsey gearbox with PB ratios (so Andy King tells me) so am starting from the best base I think.
My problem is hillclimbs where I am quickly running up to 6,000 rpm but find that there is not enough time / track for me to go up from 2nd to 3rd and then back down to make the change worthwhile. I am currently recording very quick times off the line and having to change from 1st to 2nd very quickly. Therefore I think I can pull a longer ratio. So I am thinking of making the change to a longer diff ratio so that I am not running out of revs where I could go quicker but do not have time to make the up and down change. The flywheel is a lighter unit already.

(I'm never sure if a move from 5.14 to 4.875 is "higher" or "lower" but I do recognise that the lower number is a "longer" gearing)

So what I think I need to do is change the diff ratio but possibly to longer than 8/39.

Regards

Tim

Tim Sharp
PB0685 - Nuneaton
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1940 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2018 :  00:59:14  Show Profile
Tim,

I was only addressing your gearbox verses diff ratio point:
"I would have thought that even if the replacement crown wheel and pinion set was made bespoke it must be cheaper than the cost of replacement gearbox gears?"

I see the logic in your particular case when you already have PB ratios and a lightened flywheel.

How about trying bigger tyres on the back with a greater rolling radius as a simple first step to "lengthening" the gearing?

Nigel.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000