Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Car trailers
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Davemercer

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2018 :  09:51:57  Show Profile
Hi, i would appreciate any advice re purchasing a covered car trailer for my J2.
I would prefer a GRP cover rather than a canvas type however there are very few available particularly secondhand.
If i stretch the budget to a new one the clamshell style Minisporter from PRG seems to have the lowest tare weight (500kg) which presumably helps.
I hope to attend the Welsh tour as well as a few more events next year so a trailer will be very useful .
Many thanks
Dave Mercer

paul55

Luxembourg
732 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2018 :  10:55:05  Show Profile
Dave,

try this link, there are some listed that should suit.

https://racecarsdirect.com/SubCategory/Index/24/small-trailers-7-metres

Cheers,
Paul.
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2018 :  11:01:37  Show Profile
It will fit in the back of a Sprinter Van :)

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6147 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2018 :  11:04:55  Show Profile
Dave,

I looked into this in some detail earlier this year and was considering the PRG MiniSporter. The problem with it is that the runways are really too far apart and the sidewalls of the tyres will rub against them unless you're very careful. What you need is either one of the old MiniSporters or a Brian James Minno Shuttle both of which are narrower and will take a small Triple-M car comfortably. Trouble is, they're not made anymore but they do come up for sale fairly regularly and are well worth waiting for. I found a Minno Shuttle on Race Cars Direct which Paul has linked to above.

P.S. It has a Gross Weight of 1380kg (and a payload of 800kg) so it can readily be towed by someone with just a Category B licence.
Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 22/11/2018 11:09:45
Go to Top of Page

Davemercer

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2018 :  20:31:32  Show Profile
Good evening guys and thanks for your prompt replies on this , Paul i have checked the race car site and will keep a watchful eye on it , as Simon points out the runways on the current mini sporter are a touch too wide which could foul on the inner face of the tyres .
Hopefully over the winter months something will come along , the concept of using a Merc sprinter hadn't crossed my mind before Colin but is worth considering although i hoped to use the trailer for my old bike as well as the odd run to the tip.
Thanks again for your comments guys , the advice i have received on this forum has been invaluable over the years and no doubt something will come along .
Kind regards
Dave Mercer
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6147 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2018 :  20:56:31  Show Profile
Dave,

While a J2 will fit in a Sprinter, or indeed most similar vans, the snag is getting it into the van. I looked at that option before deciding to buy a trailer, i.e. rent a van when needed and supply my own ramps. They need to be about 2 metres long as I recall and a pair of aluminium ones could cost up to £500. Also, I found that rental vans were often panelled inside with plywood which covered the tie down points so securing the car could be tricky.

I'm delighted with my Minno Shuttle although the J2 hasn't seen the inside of it yet as it has been out of action since June. But I'll hopefully get to try it soon!

Good luck with your hunt.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Davemercer

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2018 :  22:29:28  Show Profile
Hi Simon,
Sounds like we are both on the same journey and hopefully I have a similar successful outcome , your Minno shuttle with the articulated canopy looks ideal for the job.
I take your point re the sprinter and the possible access issues also I will need the trailer to double up for old motorbikes and occasional tip runs to earn its keep.
Thanks again for your advice Simon and I hope you are able to resolve any issues with your J2 .
Kind regards
Dave
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3241 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2018 :  22:50:35  Show Profile
That trailer does look very good - I wonder if it would accommodate the longer wheel base of the 6 cylinder J2 - I.e. L2?

George
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6147 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2018 :  07:35:34  Show Profile
No, George, a six cylinder J2 wouldn't fit! The load bed is only 3.3 metres/10' 8" long so a standard four cylinder J2 will just fit. Also the L2 is right at the weight limit as I see from the Model Profiles elsewhere on this site that its weight is 800kg although your car is perhaps a bit lighter having cycle wings rather than the full length ones. I'm sure there are other similar covered trailers from PRG and Brian James and perhaps others but you need to be careful about the gap between the runways if they don't have flat floors. The reason that the narrower trailers have been discontinued seems to be that they couldn't accommodate the wider Westfields and other popular trackday/race cars. The chap I bought mine from had inherited it from his late father and planned to use it for his Westfield but the trailer was about two inches too narrow. Lucky me!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Gusshoneybun

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2018 :  09:40:34  Show Profile
Hi, I used a Brian James Minno Trailer for a few years with my J2 and I towed it with a VW T5 camper van. The combination was perfect. The trailer tracked well and there was enough space inside the trailer for spares and tools. But when we finish a race at Snetterton late on a Sunday afternoon, it is a very long journey back to Dartmoor towing a trailer at 60mph. So, I sold the VW and the Minno and bought a Mercedes Sprinter. I can use the outside lane on the motorway and the MG is completely secure inside the van. Alloy ramps cost me £100 each.

MR
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
761 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2018 :  11:38:12  Show Profile
I'm looking for something to take my M type, as I don't think I could cope with long journeys in it, as I was able to with the 18/80, the 18/80 also had plenty of room for luggage which the M type doesn't have. However I am not looking to spend that sort of money for an enclosed trailer or such a fancy one, an open trailer would do. Any ideas? I would be towing it with my ancient Volvo V70 with which I have often towed trailers with various 18/80's and also years of towing my caravan, which I no longer have.

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 23/11/2018 11:40:19
Go to Top of Page

chapelfarmer

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2018 :  11:59:07  Show Profile
I have a little brian james trailer designed for the smart cars you see people towing behind RVs. I think it’s called something like a mini max - will check next time I’m home. It’s almost as wide as it is long . Very nicely made and easy to tow behind a normal estate car. big attraction for me is that it’s easy to store and if necessary easy to manoeuvre when off the car. Ideal for 4 cylinder mmm austin 7 etc and according to brian james it could have taken my TC too although would have needed to tie down by the axles rather than the wheels (trailer bed only just accommodates TC wheelbase so might conceivably work for 6 cylinder mmm? I don’t know the dimensions). Much more affordable than the big double axle jobs and very nice to tow.

john
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2018 :  14:11:27  Show Profile
I have the shortest twin axle C4 Brian James trailer that they make and it tows a treat both empty or with the D Type on and it's not too big either. Towed the D to Brands, Silverstone, Luxembourg and LeMans with it.
Unless my father wants it for his TC the trailer will be for sale shortly. Only because I now use a Sprinter Van

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Edited by - colintf on 23/11/2018 14:22:05
Go to Top of Page

Davemercer

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2018 :  10:37:11  Show Profile
Hi again , i have good news after discussing the problem with Richard of PRG trailers he can reduce the track width to 30" on the inner rail which should avoid any rubbing of tyres and rims so hopefully i am sorted ?!
Thanks again for your advice Simon re the tracking problem that could have been a costly learning curve and i appreciate all the advice given.
Cheers
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6147 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2018 :  07:43:51  Show Profile
Dave,

Glad you're getting sorted.

One other consideration is the Gross Weight of the trailer. For those of us of a 'certain age' our driving licences enable us to tow any weight of trailer, but for anyone passing their driving test on or after 1 January 1997 their driving licence (Category B) is limited to a combined Gross Weight of tow car and trailer of 3500kg unless they pass a specific trailer towing test (Categories B+E). The PRG MiniSporter has a Gross Weight of 2000kg which would limit the ability of anyone with just a Category B licence to tow it as it would be hard to find a suitable tow car with a Gross Weight of 1500kg. This may not be a problem for you, but it's something people need to be aware of.

P.S. If this is a problem, PRG can 'downplate' the trailer to, say, 1400kg which would still enable you to carry the J2 but would also allow a tow car of 2100kg - a much more realistic prospect.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 25/11/2018 07:48:55
Go to Top of Page

JohnE

United Kingdom
376 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2018 :  12:33:47  Show Profile
Just to follow up on the use of vans, If your exhaust fouls a trailer on loading you can always undo the hitch and raise with the jockey wheel. Bit more difficult with a van.......

JohnE
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000